Are you waiting on a lifetime transfer to buy the TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ZeoTiVo, Jul 25, 2007.

Are you waiting for Lifetime transfer offer to buy a TiVo HD

Poll closed Sep 23, 2007.
  1. Yes, i am waiting for lifetime transfer and will then buy a TiVo HD

    198 vote(s)
  2. No, i am buying a Tivo HD soon

    21 vote(s)
  3. I have an S3, no need for the Tivo HD

    46 vote(s)
  4. Staying with serie 2 for now

    24 vote(s)
  5. other reason not buying a TiVo HD

    27 vote(s)
  1. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    I am just wondering what kind of demand there is and how many sales are pending such an offer, basically because I want such an offer for the TiVo HD ;)

    edit - finally got back to add the poll.
    NOTE - if you have an S3 now but would but a TiVo HD as well if they offered lifetime - then answer the poll with waiting fior transfer please

    SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

    Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I would buy a second TiVo for the bedroom if they were to offer it again (Have S3 for the LR).
  3. David Scavo

    David Scavo Member

    Dec 14, 1999
    I have a Series1 with lifetime and am waiting for a Lifetime transfer offer to upgrade to the TiVoHD unit.

    Of course, having an HR10-250 (HD DirecTIVO) and a trio of networked MRV-enabled DirecTIVOs makes the waiting a little easier :)
  4. alansplace

    alansplace ------ Alan ------

    Apr 30, 2006
    one of my 540's has lifetime and i'll likely not be ordering a TiVo HD until there is a lifetime transfer offered by the tivo folks.
    Alan :D
  5. Unix_Beard

    Unix_Beard New Member

    Dec 22, 2003
    No. I have a lifetime Tivo and a monthly unit. I'm simply boxing up the old Series 2 monthly and replacing that $6.95 with the Tivo HD. Its a 40 hour unit so I don't think there'd even be a market for it used.

    After watching Planet Earth on HD and not being able to Tivo it, I have to have an HD Tivo. :)
  6. Zevida

    Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

    Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I have a series 2 with lifetime service. I can't justify the $300 plus a monthly fee to upgrade to an series 3 HD. If they offered a free lifetime service transfer, it would be very hard to turn down.
  7. pdhenry

    pdhenry Recumbent

    Feb 27, 2005
    No one said anything about free. I think the recent offers have all been $199, haven't they?
  8. rdrrepair

    rdrrepair Bill Knapp

    Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

    Yep, you're right. $199 to transfer.

    Edit to fix brain fart.
  9. HDTiVo

    HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

    Nov 27, 2002
    How much does it cost? Is MRV available? How long a free sub does my old TiVo get?
  10. HDTiVo

    HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

    Nov 27, 2002
    No, $200.

    Edit: No need for correction anymore.
  11. brewman

    brewman Member

    Jun 28, 2003
    I bought an S3 early on. I also have two other S2's. I knew the S3 didn't support MRV, and was/am willing to live without it - hoping that eventually it will be made available. I could certainly use another HD capable TiVo to replace my one of my S2's, but I won't buy another TiVo unit that doesn't support MRV.
  12. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    yes, that would fall under other reason. I did not want to mix the results in here with waiting on MRV/TTG. I ma comfortable that MRV/TTG will be here by the end of the year. This time around is different since TiVo has had time to work through such issues on the S3. It sounds like they now have a design they can use without waiting on cable labs approval and thus can move forward on such an important feature.

    I just want the lifetime transfer offer for 199$ again and frankly I could retire the S2 I have it on. not so worried about the 1 year free service part. Would probably let a freind use it and spread the TiVo message a bit wider.
  13. janry

    janry New Member

    Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I voted Other. I have a Lifetime Series 1. I won't buy TiVo HD until I have a HDTV. Our primary TV is now 20 YO and still has a great picture. I'll probably buy TiVo HD when this TV set dies and we replace it with HDTV. Could be this weekend or I might die first.
  14. HDTiVo

    HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

    Nov 27, 2002
    I'll wait for real Lifetime @$299 then.
  15. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    I hear they have color sets now :D
  16. janry

    janry New Member

    Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

    We do still have a couple of B&W sets. One of them is a 12" portable that dates back to the 60's. Still works great. The other is a Sony Watchman B&W (1.5") that was manufactered in 1985 and still works great. I have it at the office to watch news with sometimes when I'm working late. I hate it will soon be completely obsolete.
  17. ufo4sale

    ufo4sale Well-Known Member

    Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Lifetime or not this is the only reason why I'm not buying another one today.
  18. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    so you would buy another one later once they have TTG/MRV actually releases?
  19. otis

    otis New Member

    Nov 10, 2004
    I think this is an interesting poll, but a little worthless. A majority of folks said they would buy a TivoHD if there was a LT transfer and assuming it would cost $200. That's almost like asking would you buy a lifetime subscription to some high speed cable modem service for $500? of course you would, it's a bargain at that price.

    But what's the price point that would make or break your decision to buy a new TivoHD? It seems most would do it if it cost $200. But would you do it for $300, $400, or even $500?? Quite honestly, if they offered LT xfer at $400, I'd be on the fence (if it was for less, I'd definately jump on it. if it were for more, I'd definately pass).

    If the introduction of the TivoHD marks the beginning of the turning point for Tivo (ie. they work out all the details with cablelabs, enable more cool features, come out with more products, enter the satalite market, etc etc) then (my opinion) I would expect we would never see another LT offer again. If the TivoHD sells like hotcakes, why would they need to entice us with LT offers to buy one?
  20. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    the point is to see who would buy a TiVoHD any way regardless of lifetime transfer vs those who are waiting for a lifetime transfer option.

    the other questions were to weed out those that were not buying a Tivo HD now for other reasons

    PS - my lifetime is on a S2 240 model. I still see value in the box so would not transfer if over 199$. I might buy a TiVo HD later though once I was more setup for HD. Certainly there is no other TiVo I would buy instead.

Share This Page