Are you switching from DirecTV to Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bdlucas, Aug 26, 2007.

Are you switching from DirecTV to Cable?

1. I bought a TiVo HD or Series3 to switch from DirecTV to Cable

84 vote(s)
    88.4%
  2. I bought a TiVo HD or Series3 but I'm not switching from DirecTV to Cable

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    I figure there might be a lot of people like me who are buying Series3 and TiVo HD to switch from DirecTV to cable; thought it would be interesting to see how many. Poll to follow.

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I switched to cable when their DVR came out with no commitment or upfront costs. At the time the HD DirecTivo was some crazy price.

Not only do they not make those anymore, with DirecTVs planned switch to MPEG4 they'll be much less useful (i assume some channels will remain MPEG2) - effectively ending Tivo with DirecTV, unless some new agreement comes up. I can't compare, but rumors of DirecTV "HD Lite" scare me off. The price of the TivoHD made me willing to commit to cable for 3 years. I also like the VOD.

Actually I still have both D* and Comcast, since satellite is included in my condo fee. With the TivoHD I'm phasing out the DirecTivo.

3. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I will be switching from DirecTv to Comcast w/a Series 3 Tivo when the bugs seem to get worked out. I just don't have time to deal with multiple truck rolls and the garbage that I see so much of.

Until the installs go smooth and can be done in a reasonable fasion, I will stay with DTV on my old DirecTivo.

4. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I left DirecTV not because of there breakup with Tivo, but rather because I do not have line of sight for the HD satellites.

I went with FIOS and their DVR until this weekend. I now have 2 Tivo HDs.

5. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Yeah, I haven't quite pulled the plug on DirecTV yet either, but I will soon. I think I've read you can ask them to suspend your service for a period, which I might do just in case the TiVo HD pixellation glitches don't get fixed.

6. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I left D* and picked up an S3 for HD OTA + analog cable. IMO there is just not enough compelling HD content beyond the Local networks to justify the cost. OTA + analog cable gives me enough choices for my interest. I also tire of the $60-70/mo Sat bill and I get analog cable along with my HSI from Comcast, so my bill is significantly lower. I will essentially pay for my S3 in 7 months with the monthly savings of dropping D*.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I voted yes but actually I am not going to cable either. I dropped Directv for a S3 and OTA digital.

8. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Right, dropping DirecTV was the real question I was interested in, whether that involves going to Cable, FIOS, OTA, Unbox, Bittorrent, or whatever for your programming.

9. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Looks like I voted wrong. I bought the S3 for OTA only and am keeping my S1 DirecTivo for non-network recordings.

10. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I am likely going to be doing this within the next week ... but instead of dropping DirecTV outright.. I'm going to suspend my account ... you can do that up to 9 months .. I'll give them a chance to come out with an HD + TiVo solution .. and depending on my experience with cable .. I *may* come back.

-MirclMax

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Prefer Directv over cable, Brighthouse simply because as of now I have to retain the cable HD box in order to get PPV

Cable... can only retain PPV for 24 hours, using their HD Box
    Directv... PPV is mine to do with as I wish

BTY, whats a good site for downloading movies ?

12. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Switched from DirecTV to cable over a year ago. Quality of D* had really degraded over time. Fortunate that Comcast here is rather reliable. I may be the only person that has a consistent, working Motorola 3412 cable DVR too.

I'd prefer to be that lucky with the lotteries these days...

Not that I'm hoping they do this, but if Comcast raises their DVR fee to the point where I'm within $5/month of a TiVo HD w/subscription and cable card(s), I'll probably stay with the Motorola HD box, so long as it continues to be reliable.

13. markw365

markw365 New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I'm in the process of a switch. Letting the Direct TV run out, and am going to explain to them why I'm dropping them. (Lack of Tivo). Just got the Digital cable from Cox, the M-Card worked as an M-Card so I'm decoding multiple streams. Haven't really noticed any pixelation other than when it first locks into a stream. The one issue I am experiencing is that we ordered HBO/Showtime which is a special and it's not working. They're sending a tech out to do whatever the techs do that I can't do. (nothing other than special phone numbers). As for why the card won't add the premium channels I'm sure they'll figure it out.

14. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Careful though. In some situations, they will make you do a 2 year agreement to turn it back on.

15. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Technically I suspended my D* account too. But considering I prepaid 3 yrs on the S3 and will do a 3 yr commit with the THD, I doubt I'll be going back to D* anytime soon. I just wanted to preserve my options during the transition.

16. Jon65

Jon65 New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm in the process of dropping D* for Comcast. The main reason is that I'm surrounded by trees that finally have gotten too tall to deal with. Right now I have both, and was in a "transition" phase when the TiVo HD came out. I picked one up and turned in my C* SA box last week when the cablecard install was supposed to happen. I have one singlestream card that the tech did not activate, but another visit scheduled Tuesday to do the activation and get a second card. When this is all worked out, I will drop D*. Having the new TiVo is icing on the cake and made me not have any second thoughts. I just ordered a 750GB WD drive for upgrading after I'm certain that my TiVo HD is working.

17. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I made the switch last week. I posted about it on DBS Talk. I'll re-post my message here for those who are interested:

18. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Nice summary.

Note that MCards work fine in the Tivo HD box. Not quite sure why your local Comcast would have MCards if the head end didn't support them.

19. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Pretty much my story too jordanz (minus the problems with CableCard install - mine went very smoothly.) I'm holding my breath regarding the pixellation issues though.

20. F4Boy

F4Boy New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern...
    Exactly my situation...Got an S3 last week and am having FIOS installed Thursday and going to suspend the D* account. From what I continue to hear about FIOS and their excellent HD quality, I find it hard to believe that I may go back to D*, though we'll see what happens with D* and Tivo, and what the mpeg-4 channels look like.