Are you supposed to be able to PING your TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rasmasyean, Jul 28, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I just got a Series 4 RCN TiVo. I hooked up a wireless client to the ethernet port and it connects to the internet and downloads the movies and all. So I guess the network connection is working. I see the TiVo's IP address in the router but I can't PING the TiVo's IP address from one of my computers.

Is it supposed to respond like when PINGing any other computer on the network?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I can ping mine. See if you can access the web interface. You should be able to hit http://{your TiVo IP} and get a welcome page, or https:{your TiVo IP} and login with username 'tivo' and your MAK as the password to get into the Now Playing List.

Of course, these are standalone TiVos ... not sure if the cableco ones are different, so YMMV.

3. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    The IP address in the browser doesn't work.

The thing is that I saw that the settings for wireless adapters lets you chose only a TiVo branded G or N adapter. But I didn't use one of those. I used an ethernet cable connected to a D-Link Wireless Client device. And this gets connected to my router and I can see the TiVo's IP address connected. And it works with YouTube videos and all.

Is there some "firewall-like setting" on the TiVo box I need to turn off? Or do I need to download TiVo desktop software or whatever to be able to "see" the TiVo?

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Normally you would need to enable transfers and downloads for your TiVo on tivo.com. Not sure if you can do that with a cableco box, though. That could be why you can't ping/connect to the TiVo.

5. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    OK, so going through this apparently completely user unfriendly menu system with settings scattered all over the place...:rolleyes: I think I manually set my computer IP address as a server, enabled "home network applications", and installed TiVo Desktop, I was able to ping the TiVo. I think it seems to work because I was able to share my PC Music and Videos folder, as well as share a TiVo recording.

Is there a way to upload a recording to the PC from the TiVo? Like if you want to store select shows in a "media storage/archive PC". It seems this should be feature that exists but I can't seem to figure it out.

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You can use TiVo Desktop to download recordings (that aren't copy-protected) from your TiVo to the PC. If you want to explore the other options for media servers and music stuff, check out third-party apps like pyTivo, kmttg, streambaby, etc. Lots of good info on these forums ...

7. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I guess the closest feature to "uploading a video to the PC", is the "auto-transfer", in TiVo Desktop I guess. That allows whatever is recorded to be automatically replicated on the PC right? But it only works for "series" apparently.

And I suppose if you want to replicate other videos to the PC, you need to walk to the PC, open TiVo Desktop, select the show(s), and wait a long time for it to complete downloading before you can watch it on the PC or burn it to a DVD.

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Check out kmttg ... you can create rules to auto-download whatever you want (not just TV series), run it as a service in the background, etc. There're plenty of ways to get media onto and off of your TiVo besides TiVo Desktop.

Download times, of course, depend on the source material (SD or HD) and your network speeds. You're using wireless, which will probably be slower than a wired correction.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I guess it is a long time when you want it NOW. :D
    Me? I start non auto transfers before I go to bed. The next day, they are ready to go.

As said above, a wired connection will be faster than wireless.
    Also, assuming you are using a Premiere, be aware that there have been some issues in the past with files downloaded using the faster transfer method (see attached image) in Tivo Desktop 2.8.x. If you encounter problems viewing downloaded shows on your PC, disable this feature and and re-transfer the shows.

Attached Files:

10. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    *SIGH* Is there like a trick to this or something? So, I got a TiVo branded wireless USB dongle hoping it would work better. And now I'm back to square one. I can't PING the TiVo!!!

I set the IP, Mask, Gateway, DNS, yada yada, and the TiVo works fine on that end. It can browse menus, connection tests OK, etc. Now on my router, I see it connected and the signal is like >90%. But once again, I can't PING that IP address!

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Do you have downloads and transfers enabled on your account, like I asked about above?

12. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Yes. Like I mentioned in one of the above posts I could share my PC Music and Videos folder, as well as share a TiVo recording...that is...when I got the wireless ethernet device going.

But with the TiVo brand dongle I didn't change anything except the networking with USB vs. ethernet.

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    So I assume you're not able to access the web interface either? Not sure why you're seeing what you're seeing, unless this is something specific to a cableco box.

What's your network setup like? Are your TiVo and PC on the same subnet?

14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Why do you need to ping the TiVo? What is it that being able to will allow you to do that you can't do now?

15. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    The TiVo Desktop running computer where I'm PINGing from was not able to see the TiVo files. So I presume that it would need to be able to see the TiVo IP address in order for it to talk to it and get data. Is this correct?

Anyways I reset the TiVo box and that seemed to do the trick. But I don't think this is how the device is supposed to work. Not sure if this problem will recurr later. Is this common for a TiVo? Is there something else that could be done not as "severe", like a setting? I tried replugging the dongle, but that didn't do the trick.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So your problem wasn't really not being able to ping the TiVo, it was not being able to get TiVo Desktop to see the TiVo?

17. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Ultimately, yes. But it's my understanding that in order for TiVo Desktop (or any PC software) to communicate with the TiVo, the computer itself has to be able to "see" it first. Isn't this how a network works, if I'm not mistaken?

After the reset, I was able to PING the TiVo...and then TiVo Desktop was able to see all the videos I recorded.

18. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What's "the same subnet"? You mean like 255.255.255.0 subnet mask? What does that actually mean anyway? True for first 3 address bytes and false for the last?

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In case windracer doesn't see your question for a while, I'm pretty sure what he meant was along the lines of...

Assume for the sake of arguement that your router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1

Your Tivo should have an address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254

So, router x.y.z.1, TiVo x.y.z.2 through x.y.z.254

Somewhere in the Tivo's menus should be something about messages and settings or something like that. Find the phone and network settings submenu (may have slightly different name). Give your TiVo a fixed IP address. There's no reason for it not to have one, and you eliminate any chance of DHCP screwing up (which may have been part of your original problem).

20. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Oh, yeah, I did do that. And checked it multiple times for typos. And with the dongle, I put in exactly the same values. I didn't change anything else. It just seems that even though I don't change anything, the connection is finiky. Either that, or I did something bad that a "box reset" got rid of.