Are you happy with Unbox on TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ChrisTV, Apr 13, 2007.

Were you pleased or disapointed with the new Amazon Unbox on TiVo service?

1. Pleased

51.6%
  2. Disapointed

48.4%
  1. ChrisTV

ChrisTV WebTVWire.com

Apr 13, 2007

Advertisements

Vote on the poll.

Just wondering who's been happy with the new Amazon Unbox service on TiVo or if you've been disapointed.

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    oooo public poll

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I haven't used it. I hate when polls don't include the "Haven't used it" option. :)

4. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    The movies downloaded fine and the picture quality is good, but the selection of available rentals leaves a lot to be desired. It seems every movie I want is available for purchase but not for rent. I guess they're still in their PPV blackout period or something.

I guess the other movie download services have the same problem because Movielink had the same movies available for sale but not for rent, so I guess this really isn't a complaint against Unbox, but against the movie companies.

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

I voted that I was pleased - I have downloaded a couple of missed episodes and purchased a movie - All downloads went well, the $15.00 free trial impressed me, if you click on the link for customer service & request to speak to someone live, your phone rings when you hit the submit button.

Impressive - keep in mind that baby steps take place before you learn to run. I expect that our feedback will allow UnBox to fly in the years to come. We just need to give it a chance.

I would like additional titles, 5.1 surround, HD Downloads, additional time for viewing rentals.

The options should have been.

-- Very pleased.

-- Somewhat pleased.

-- Neither impressed or unimpressed.

-- Likely would not reuse.

-- Would not use again.

-- I have not tried the service yet.

6. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Voted "Pleased", because "Disapointed" (sic) sounded to harsh for my experience.

- The encoding bitrate/framerate may need to be higher....noticed a bit of jumpiness in the XMenIII download (after the 1hr mark)
    - Aspect ratio for 16:9 S2 Tivos would be nice.
    - Need Tivo Releases available sametime as DVD Rentals. (+1)

7. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Same as Stu. I like it, but there are the deficiencies he stated and so "pleased" isn't entirely accurate.

There has to be a higher resolution version than those offered where the BitRate is significantly improved. I won't be using it heavily until I can buy video at a quality comparable to DVD. Unlike others, I don't rent and see unbox as competing for money I pay at BestBuy or WalMart for DVD purchases.

I either wait and watch recent releases on television, or buy the ones that we will watch repeatedly (musicals, classic action adventures, children's shows, eye candy videos, foreign films that never show on tv or appear in rental stores).

What is very attractive to me is that I do not have to go to the bother of ripping the dvd to my video server. Use of large video servers is something that very few people are doing currently, but will become common as hard drive prices continue the inevitable downward spiral that earlier made MP3 players common. The advantage over dvd libraries is the same as MP3 players- I can find the show quickly rather wonder where someone has misfiled it/ left it in some other room/car/house.

After 10 or 15 minutes looking, I oftentimes give up- pissed off and in no mood to watch the video I had in mind anyway.

So I am pretty motivated to use an alternative to DVDs.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I've mentioned these drawbacks elsewhere but they bear repeating. My main beefs --
    1) No subtitles
    2) No widescreen
    3) Lousy stereo audio...no DD 5.1

I won't even CONSIDER using unbox until all are addressed.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    UNBOX and TiVo have a great implementation - restrictions by the content owners SUCK.
    So I need that choice to be able to vote.

for me especially the 24 hours to watch a rental which limits my desire to use it

10. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    I watched my first Unbox movie last night. I was surprisingly pleased with the video quality.

I used TV speakers so I can't comment on the audio quality issues.

The 30 day/24 hour restrictions are weak!

Would love to see some HD content added.

Overall very happy, and with all the work Doug and others have put in, it made the experience very nice. :)

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Have you at least signed up to get your $15 credit?

12. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    I'm not happy with the 24-hour rental limit, and the limited selections, and the number of items available for purchase but not renting. However, I don't hold that against Amazon, since I understand those restrictions are coming from the content owners.

What I *am* disappointed with Amazon is the number of items that are available in the Tivo format. I have found many things that I would be interested in downloading, but they're still only available for the PC, not Tivo. It is taking way too long for Amazon to do the conversions.

13. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Using the beta(s), our family is three for three on successful movie ordering. One was even ordered off of our TiVo (Thanks Doug!) Now we can even preview most of the shows and select our favorite, for next time.

Given only 24 hours to watch it all is a little hard. Forces you to wait; collect your family time for one full sitting (and of course, ORDER LESS MOVIES!)

14. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    If you download Doug's App then you would not get all of those false positive results.

Try this app and search for TiVo content right from your TiVo without going to the computer. It's a great app and I am 4 for 4 on positive downloads. It has a search feature and a preview feature so you can view trailers etc...

That one app alone makes the UnBox experience so much better. :up:

15. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah, but I won't use it until they have 16:9 material.

EDIT: I know I did sign up - but I can't see anywhere that this is confirmed. Can I check some account balance somewhere?

16. cardeiro

cardeiro New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    not very pleased

ordered a movie to the living room dvr...cant transfer it to the bedroom (dumb, what am I gonna do steal it from the bedroom dvr????). have not been able to find a time when I am sure I will be able to watch it in a 24 hour period

rental selection is weak.

The prices are overinflated. I REFUSE to buy a movie download for nearly the same price as the physical dvd that I can play for the kids in the car or watch at a friends house. even the rental price of 3.99 seems high for a do-it-yourself download, no shipping cost, no envelope stuffing or store clerk labor to pay...the only overhead they have is server space, tech support, and encoding.

Mike

17. BarryD99

BarryD99 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Jacksonville,Fl
    poor rental selection, no 5.1, about the same price as a video store

i'm not that lazy that going to the store is a problem

18. bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Sign in to Amazon and click on one of the rentals (i.e. Blood Diamond). It should say in very fine print right under the price for the movie ($3.99 for B.D.) that you have a $15.00 credit.

I blew 5 of my free bucks so far (2 for Dirt and 3 for the Descent). The quality for the Descent was not that great in dark sequences, but it was the movie I wanted to watch last night (so it was worth getting for free). The 2 bucks I wasted on Dirt I wish I hadn't because I haven't even watched it yet.

The promotional credit "must be used by 9/1/07" (under penalty of death?). So hopefully Amazon will have HD downloads by the end of August {since Microsoft is already doing HD (720p) downloads (i.e. The Departed) with XBox Live for a 50% premium to SD (480p), I would hope Amazon is planning to roll out HD downloads this Summer, if not by the end of Spring}.

Also, someone might have said this already (and/or answered it), but why can't I start playing the movie until the download is complete? I could have started watching the Descent after only a few minutes (and not caught up with the tail end of the download), but I instead had to wait for the whole download to complete before I started watching (which took over an hour). Is a download that much different than a transfer?

It's hard to vote Disappointed when you are getting everything for free, but that is what I voted. I am also Disappointed with ITunes Video (I rented two episodes of Battlestar Galactica and was disappointed in the quality -- again especially the blacks). I wouldn't call either DVD-quality (which is what Amazon claims -- I don't know what Apple calls their Video downloads).

19. SystemJinx

SystemJinx (o_0)

Aug 13, 2005
    North of...
    I spent my $15 credit on Ice Age: The Meltdown.

One little question though. If I were to delete it off my Tivo in order to save space, is there a way to get it back in the future?

20. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Am I misunderstanding your meaning or does this link lead to the info you need?