Are wired program transfers possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mona87, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mona87

mona87 New Member

May 3, 2007
    Hi,

I was wondering if transferring via an ethernet cable is possible with my recordings? I live on campus at my university and their internet restrictions are insane. Your not allowed to use wireless routers and if they find out you have one they shut your internet off and report you for disciplinary action and they have no wireless capabilities anywhere near the housing section, so my wireless adapter is useless while im at school.

So i was wondering if there was a way to connect the tivo and the computer and transfer that way, or i contemplated the idea of buying a dvd recorder. But i read that only the the tivo built in with the dvd recorder can do that and i dont want buy a whole new tivo machine, what should i do?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. mona87

mona87 New Member

May 3, 2007
    Thank you so much for the reply.

The university doesn't allow hubs either, do you know of any other way? Or transferring without it going over the net so that they dont know.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm not really sure, someone else will have chime in, but I think if you add a second NIC to your PC, you can use it.

5. VCHATMAN

VCHATMAN New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    S2 DT has ethernet port. You can use ethernet cable to connect to your pc.

Alternatively, with a usb to ethernet adapter (not all work, but Tivo identifies some that do) you can connect using ethernet cable.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Wow! Intel is working on a project to provide laptops with WAN connectivity to rural villages in India, China and Cambodia and your school won't allow you to get up to their capabilities. Do they censor your mail also?

7. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Why not simply buy a non-wireless router and hook the TiVo and the laptop both up to it just to transfer your shows? There's no need to connect it to the university's network at all; there's no way they could know you're doing that.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    A crossover ethernet cable would also work.

9. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I agree that a second NIC in the PC and a cross over cable should do the trick. Connect the tivo to the second NIC using the cross over cable.

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you're only interested in transferring from the TiVo to the PC (as opposed to connecting the TiVo to the Internet) you can do it with the one NIC that's in the PC. You just won't have internet access on the PC while you're transferring from the TiVo.

11. mona87

mona87 New Member

May 3, 2007
    The cross over cable worked perfectly and it was extremely cheap and totally did the trick and did it faster than my wireless adapter ever did! Thank you so much everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated.