Are Tivos Prone to Pixelation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Emacee, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

I have a Bolt. Three years ago, I decided to "cord cut" and had a Winegard roof antenna installed. I kept experiencing pixelation and some drop outs (picture freezes, sound cuts out and I miss several seconds). A recent storm brought down my neighbor's tree which took down my roof antenna (and part of the roof). I've been looking at a replacement antenna. But is the problem I had an antenna issue or a reception problem (trees, weather)? Or does it have something to do with the Bolt? Or even a problem with the satellite feeds the stations get? I tried by-passing the Tivo and the problem does not seem to occur with the TV?

Anybody experienced anything like this? Any ideas or solutions? Different antenna? Pre-amp? The way the picture breaks up is really annoying. Right now I am getting by with cable. I see some pixelation with cable, too but not nearly as bad. I didn't have this kind of problem with my prior Tivos (with DirecTV or with cable or FIOS). Before I shell out a few hundred bucks for an antenna and roof install, I'd like to have some assurance the problem can be solved and that it's not a Tivo issue. Thanks.

2. jmiller50

jmiller50 Member

May 1, 2010
    I'm inclined to think it the tuner in the Bolt. As a comparison, I have a Roamio and an HDHomeRun that share an antenna feed. I select the same PBS station on both and watching live, I will see the Roamio pixelate, freeze, drop out but the HDHomeRun does not.

Dan Cour likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The signal is weak. You cannot compare a TV (1 tuner) to a Tivo Bolt (4 tuners).

4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pixeleation on all channels? I suggest looking at the diagnostics screen and check signal strengths for multiple channels. 72 is as high as it will show on a Bolt (OTA). Obviously 72 should be fine, anything under 50 good chance you will get pixelation, sometimes even higher. mid to low 40s almost guaranteed. On a Bolt you have to look at the diagnostics screen to see signal strength, not the signal strength meter, I hear that does not work with a Bolt. Though may be a TE3 vs TE4 issue for the meter? Comparing to TV not a bad idea but I don't think a TV brings all signals down to 72 like the Tivo does so direct comparison of numbers not really valid. Though picture comparison for same channel at same time should give you some idea.

Of course if you have no antenna at this time (you mention buying a new one since yours got damaged) would be tough to run the tests....................

5. twalsh22

twalsh22 Member

Aug 28, 2015

Advertisements

Maybe you'll get better reception with the neighbor's tree gone. Was it between your antenna and the broadcast towers?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

6. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The Bolt tuner is not terrible. But as has been noted, your antenna signal is being split to four tuners so a typical TV tuner is almost always going to show better results.

Bigass multi-bay bow-tie antennas are great for UHF and not bad for VHF channels 12-13. The biggest you can manage is almost always a good idea. The best preamp is a better antenna, but good preamps work very well to compensate for the subsequent coax loss between the antenna and your receiver. An additional high quality distribution amp down the line can compensate for subsequent splitting between multiple receivers/tuners but at this point you may have to watch out for signal overload and may even have to consider balancing your signal with channel-range-specific attenuators.

tommage1 likes this.
  7. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    The neighbor's tree is in back (to the West) and the TV antenna farm is East of me. Some channels get pixelation; not all. Some of those I have trouble with are ones where I should have a strong signal (according the FCC website) and I do OK with other channels further away and supposedly with a weaker signal.

8. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I had a similar issue and in my case it turned out the the signal was too strong!

I added an attenuator and all was good