Are "Tivo Suggestions" promoted shows???

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rasmasyean, Jul 30, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I barely had my TiVo for like 3 days and I've been getting so many "suggestions". Furthurmore, I don't see how they are related to any shows I recorded as they claim to "detect my preferences".

Do you guys actually get something useful out of this service? Or are they just randomly promote videos? Do you turn this feature off?

2. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    The suggestions are just that, and the more you watch, record, and rate, the more the suggestions "fit" you. I do leave them on, as they record things that I may like. Additionally, your TiVo box will record over them as needed to record any Season Passes you want. The only negative to me, is that they sometimes force a channel to change on something I'm watching, even if I've clicked on "no" when the warning comes up. To my knowledge, there is no promotional activity occurring.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There is definitely no promotional activity going on. The whole point of suggestions is to record shows that YOU like. The more you use the thumbs up features the more relevant the suggestions will be.

Guru Guides are more geared towards promotional recordings.

4. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What's Guru Guides? Is that specific to a cable provider?

I get this thing called "Showcase" which apparently is some sort of promoted video thing. It seems to be random info and videos. It was kind of weird. e.g. I got this Bing banner thing that says something about Searching with Facebook relevance. Then inside it, it's these videos about surfer girls.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Showcases used to be kinda cool. Now they are just stupid and I don't even bother to look at them..

Guru Guides are "groups" of recordings that you can record all at once. I can't remember exactly where they are located within the menu. It's not hard to find.

They have a "Guru Guide" for certain demographics (like age and gender) and they will include shows that are meant for those demographics.

Off the top of my head I can think of one called "I'm a New Junkie" and then Tivo will record a bunch of news shows. There are a bunch of others as well. I don't know if the programs pay to get in their or not but it seems reasonable they might.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Guru guides are found under the Find Programs menu, coupled with Kid Zone recommendations.

ETA: According to the TiVo website, on the Premiere and Premiere XL, you have to be in the SDUI to get to it.

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    As other have stated, your TiVo has not been in use long enough to make suggestions meaningful. If you are ever bored go through the suggestions menu page and thumb up/down anything in there. The more shows you rate the better your suggestons will be. Note that using one thumb up/down is best. I have found that using multiple thumbs is iffy at best. Of course YMMV.

8. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    i could swear that they are promoting Lifetime network covertly through the suggestions, though. We have a lot of Premieres with wildly different preferences and they all think we love LMN crappy movies regardless of how many times we thumbs down them.