Are they trying to Drive customers away?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nelsonrl, Sep 30, 2006.

1. nelsonrl

nelsonrl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Tyler, TX

Advertisements

Just got my replacement HR10-250 through my extended warranty. DirecTV had nothing to do with this replacement. I originally purchased through VE. Just looked at my bill online and see that my owned receiver is now leased. On the phone with customer retention and even hearing from them that all equipment is leased. I will consider this leased when DirecTV refunds my original purchase price - not until then.

Guess its a good thing the car companies do not operate this way. If you take your car in for warranty service, pick it up and it becomes a leased car. What a concept. Wonder why I didn't think of this business model.

2. scott blair

scott blair New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    I give it less than 2 years before we're all notified that we're part of a Class Action suit settlement with DTV over their lease program.

3. nelsonrl

nelsonrl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Tyler, TX

Never been a fan of class actions, but this may be the one.

4. nelsonrl

nelsonrl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Tyler, TX
    Quick update - called back three times - finally got someone to change it back to an "owned" receiver. They did say that if I had to have another replacement under warranty that it would be leased. I guess that is OK.... AS SOON AS THEY REFUND MY ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE OF OVER $800.00 FOR THE RECEIVER.

This was not how I planned to spend Saturday evening - arguing with DirecTV. What a bunch of bozo's

5. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Curmudgeon Emeritus

Mar 19, 2001
    Minneapolis,...

Advertisements

Why waste your breath? They have to prove it's theirs. You don't have to prove it isn't.

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It would not surprise me if Rupert himself has asked this question. He appears non too pleased with the direction of DTV, to the point of possibly trading it off for NewsCorp stock he does not currently own, and referring to it as his "Turd Bird". It's easy to see why.

7. Oct 1, 2006 #7 of 27
    nelsonrl

nelsonrl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Tyler, TX
    Interesting thing is one of the reps told me that the current policy is...
    "even if you paid for the device at a retail store, as long as you cannot prove that you paid more than $700.00 for it, it is considered leased equipment".

So, go to BestBuy, Circuit City, etc, buy a directv receiver and DirecTV does not consider the device yours. That is amazing to me. I hope GE, Maytag, Sony and others do not catch on, we will never own another appliance or electronic device again under the directv model.

8. Oct 1, 2006 #8 of 27
    jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    If I didn't sign a lease agreement, there is no lease agreement.

9. Oct 1, 2006 #9 of 27
    Galley_SimRacer

Galley_SimRacer "Once you go Mac..."

Mar 1, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I thought I could use a 10% off coupon at Circuit City, but they said it didn't apply to leased equipment. Aaargh!

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    And did they also give you this piece of equipment for free at the start of your "lease" arrangement?

This is stupid.

If you buy the thing it's yours.

I'd like to see the fine print that advises new buyers "Despite the price you're paying, this is just for the privilege of being allowed to rent it from us. It'll never be your property and you're out big bucks."

11. hpfeifer

hpfeifer New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Could not find the answer in a search. Where do I locate the leased/owned statement on-line (without waiting for next months bill). I am waiting for a standard definition DirecTV with TIVO unit to be replaced under the $7.99 DirecTV warranty program. The customer service guy told me I did not have to return the broken unit since "I owned it". That makes me think I'll end up with a leased unit and an extended contract. He did not seem to understand when I asked him if the the replacement unit was going to be "leased". [He also did not seem to get the idea that somebody would have done basic troubleshooting, like unplugging the unit for a while, prior to calling DirecTV]. If the unit ends up as a least unit I am starting to wonder what I am paying the warranty program fee for. Thanks for the help.

12. aphex187

aphex187 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Reno, NV
    My biggest frustration with this is that you walk in to best buy and pay $300 for a receiver, it shows up as LEASED so you never even own it and then you have to sign into a 2 year agreement.

Talk about getting your cake and eating it too.

13. SkyviewGuru

SkyviewGuru New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    [All answers below are believed to be accurate as of the time of the writing. All DIRECTV policy/procedures are subject to change.]
    Once logging into your account at DIRECTV's website, a link that says "recent activity" will show you transactions posting after your latest bill. You can call DIRECTV and ask as well. All agents should have access to this information.

When covered under the DIRECTV Protection Plan, any replacements made by the plan will keep the same ownership tag as the original. In addition, technical replacements covered by the plan do not alter the expiration of your contract. The Protection Plan also covers shipping/handling fees on replacements covered by the plan whether leased or owned.

The system that is used to take your order establishes the ownership tag of your replacement at the time of order. If an error is made in activation with the tags, it can easily be corrected. The Access Card department can assist you in this matter. Do not ask for Retention; they don't have the access to change this.

The technical equipment replacement procedure regarding returning or not returning the equipment is not really based on the ownership tag. DIRECTV recovers certain models for refurbishing and the remaining models are up to you to dispose. All models that are available for lease are models recovered for refurbishing.

The Protection Plan does not handle lease/own issues. Their sole purpose is to troubleshoot your problems and issue replacements or service calls when needed.

Many customers do not try basic troubleshooting and many of the issues are resolved after doing so. It's only normal procedure for to be asked to reset because the success rate is high and it's best to confirm it has been done before checking less common (more complicated) things.

Hope this does help.

14. SkyviewGuru

SkyviewGuru New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    [All answers below are believed to be accurate as of the time of the writing. All DIRECTV policy/procedures are subject to change.]
    The upgrade fee for the HD-DVR is $299, whether purchased with DIRECTV or at retail. With this upgrade fee, you have lifetime coverage for the receiver from DIRECTV with no technical replacement receiver costs. Any costs involved in technical leased receiver replacements are strictly shipping & handling, and DIRECTV waives those shipping/handling fees for customers within the customer ownership warranty period (90 days for standard/DVR/HD systems and 1 year for HD-DVR systems).

In addition, you can get free installation from DIRECTV if you need either an upgraded dish or dual lines run for your HD-DVR system.

Optionally, instead of paying an upgrade fee, you can buy the receiver from DIRECTV for substantially more than the upgrade fee (currently $749) and own the receiver. No contract applies under this option as nothing is subsidized. You're covered for the customer ownership warranty period, and thereafter those without the Protection Plan are responsible for the replacement costs and shipping/handling fees applicable at that time, just as you would if you bought any other appliance.

Customer owned replacements provided by DIRECTV outside of the warranty period require renewal of contract (unless you buy another owned receiver at the substantially higher rate--provided this option is still available at that time).

Also, since nothing is subsidized when you own the equipment, DIRECTV charges to upgrade the satellite dish and for the installation of dual lines for your HD-DVR system.

15. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    If I wanted to order a DVR from my cable company, they'd bring me one for no fee, and I pay just $7 month rental/lease fee. Same for their HD DVR. So Directv is charging $300 why?

16. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    Because they are a company that won't be in business in 10 years.

DirecTV scared the crap out of cable 10 years ago. In that 10 years DirecTV allowed it edge to shrink and cable got their act together. In many situations, cable is now the premium service. DirecTV is now the "low end" solution.

While cable companies are looking for ways to add the Tivo interface to their product, DirecTV worked hard to get rid of it as a cost saving measure.

While cable companies offer free equipment (in terms of upfront costs) and no contracts, DirecTV needs to increase revenue by charging for equipment upfront and locking in a revenue stream for two years.

While coax and fiber offer cable companies plenty of bandwidth growth in the future at relatively low capital costs, DirecTV will always suffer from bandwidth shortcomings and massively expensive costs for each increase in bandwidth.

I've been a DirecTV customer for almost 11 years. I have never been a "fanboy" of any particular technology and have always changed technologies when there were cost / value advantages to doing so. The time for me to change from DirecTV to cable is fast approaching. Hell, I might have changed by now if the Tivo Series III hadn't been such a let down of a product.

I know there are DirecTV fanboys still, but I really believe that the only people for which DirecTV continues to offer an advantage are those in BFE or those with an ass-backwards cable company.

I think the final nail in the DirecTV coffin will probably come when the NFL Sunday Ticket ends up available through cable outlets.

17. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Do you have any evidence that the Comcast promise is any closer to becoming reality? Is there an announced timeline or product demonstration available? Also, do you know of any other CableCo's outside Comcast planning on adding TiVo software?
    There are many (myself included) who view Time Warner as a company they have no interest in doing business with. I would prefer to see my hard-earned dollars go anywhere else. They seem intent on limiting consumer choice and pimping out their customers at every turn. I'm much more offended by them trying to kill cable card so they can advertise on their EPG than D* charging me for equipment.

I highly doubt you'll ever see Sunday Ticket anywhere else. The NFL knows that the value in that package is in exclusivity and they know it keeps the networks and affiliates off their back by keeping it exclusive to D*. D* also knows what it is worth and will pay top dollar to retain it.

18. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Being cost prohibitive is one the reasons I wouldn't switch at this time. I've got 3 HR10's hooked up to 3 HDTV's ...along w/3 more SD TiVo's. With all the credits I was given, the most I paid was for my recent HR10 ...$149.

Having DVR's on almost every set in the house is great (we have a big house), but it would cost me major $$ to have a similar setup with cable (we have Bright House here) and S3.

Granted, I'd expect prices to come down as time passes, and technology improves...and when somebody offers me some sort of package to swap out everything while retaining the viewing level I now have ...I'll jump at it.

I'd love to go w/the Series 3 and cable down the road ...but if I were to do that right now, it would run me well over $2K! :eek:

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Perhaps because the cable DVR usually sucks? ;)

It's $300 if people will pay for it. That simple. When people don't want to pay for it then the price will be lowered. In either case in a year or more the price will certainly be less anyway. But again, if people weren't flocking to buy it for $300 and they wouldn't keep selling out then they wouldn't charge it.

20. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    Like I said, there are always going to be DirecTV loyalists. And a lot will certainly depend on your cable company, and that is why I made no absolute statements. Your philosophical points on dealing with certain companies are valid, which is another reason why I would like to move away from DirecTV since it is owned by the same criminal who owns the criminal Fox "news" channel and supports the criminal in chief. So you not wanting to deal with Time Warner for privacy concerns are valid and respectable, but you and I are in the minority when it comes to not dealing with companies on philosophical issues.

In terms of the availability of the Tivo Comcast unit, you know as much as I do. But my point was nothing more than that Comcast and Cox are both in deals with Tivo to add the service while DirecTV has disowned Tivo. While the Comcast and Cox units are not yet available, the promise of them being available is certainly greater than the promise of them ever being available from DirecTV.

I disagree with your position on the NFL. They will go wherever the most money can be made. The NFL has no allegiance to anyone (please see how they kicked CBS to the curb a few years back). DirecTV does not have an endless supply of money. I could certainly see a situation where cable outbid DirecTV. And the exclusivity could be maintained by limiting the service to a single provider in each market, although I don't think that is so much a big deal.

Anyway, one of us will be wrong in about 10 years.