Are these older TiVo networkable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by buscuitboy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I might be able to get a hold of some older Tivo's with built-in DVD-R recorders. They are the following:

• Pioneer Elite DVR-57H
    • Toshiba branded (not sure of the specific model number yet)

Both would come with a wired or wireless USB adapter. I already have an S2 DT and S3 Tivo units that are hard wired into my home network. I do MRV with both of them as well as pyTivo for video transferring.

Since the Toshiba and Pioneer units comes with USB adapters, will I be able to fully network them with my S2 & S3 (& use pyTivo)?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, if they're Series 2s. But if you want them to talk directly to each other, you'll have to get their MAKs changed to match. (pyTivo doesn't care about the MAK except for togo, or when dealing with .TiVo files.)

3. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    MAKs = Media Access Keys, right? If so, can this easily be done myself? Is it maybe done automatically once they are added to my account?

Also, I think one states it comes with a "Limited lifetime subscription" & the other comes with "FREE lifetime basic TiVo". What are the limitations of these kind of lifetime subscription (presumably the same)? Does it maybe not allow season passes and/or online scheduling? Anything else missing versus a regular lifetime sub?

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'm assuming that the MAK gets changed automatically once the Tivo is added to your account. At least that has been my experience for different S2, S2DT, S3HD, and Premeire boxes.

I think that the DVD boxes came with the limited lifetime or basic (not sure if they are the same) and that you only get something like 2 days of Guide Data.

5. supersnoop

supersnoop Member

Nov 13, 2007
    All Pioneer and Toshiba TiVo's came with lifetime "Basic" service. You can see the differences here.

Basically, they get three days of guide data and you can record by time and channel. If you want to transfer shows around, you'll need to pay for the "Plus" (regular) service.

6. gullick

gullick New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    I no longer have a land line, but I have a lifetime service with TiVo. My TiVo has USB ports. How can I connect?

7. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    What is the model no of your TiVo?

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There are a number of compatible wireless and wired adapters that work with the series 2 tivos.
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

9. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan