Are these directions wrong?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pm3009, Dec 26, 2005.

1. pm3009

pm3009 New Member

Dec 26, 2005

Advertisements

Are these online directions for connecting your Tivo to a wireless network wrong, or am I misunderstanding them, or are they for something different? It states that you have to get a compatible wireless adapter, which I know is necessary and I found the list of compatible adapters. But then, it says you need to hook a usb cable from the Tivo to the wireless adapter? That's the part that I don't understand. That would make it no longer a wireless setup. Or are they talking about doing that only for the initial set up??? (which I did already over a phone line.)

The directions I'm talking about are below, (taken from Tivo's online customersupport knowledge database ( tv2008.htm ) Sorry, I'm a new poster so couldn't post the URL, but the directions I'm talking about are below.

To connect your DVR to your existing wireless network, perform the following steps:

To connect a TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR) to a wireless network, you will first need a compatible wireless adapter.

Connect one end of the USB cable to the USB port on the wireless USB network adapter. For some adapters, the cable may have to be connected a certain direction, so make sure to look for any directional labeling on the USB cable.

Connect the other end of the USB cable to the USB port on the TiVo DVR. If you have two USB ports on your DVR, you can plug the cable into either port.

You will need to enter some information about your wireless network so that your DVR can connect to it. For more information go to Configuring My DVR to Connect to My Wireless Network.

Thanks!!
    Pam

2. paulyras

paulyras New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Hi Pam,

If you have one of those thumbdrive looking wireless adapters, you can just plug it in. I did it and it's been working flawlessly. The one advantage I could think of is to reduce the risk of snapping the USB port if you accidently bend it (moving the tivo etc...). It's more of an issue with the USB to ethernet adapters where pull from the cord might tug over time on the USB port.

There may be other reasons, but I certainly don't know of any, and haven't had any problems with my netgear wUSB adapter.

Good luck,

Paul

3. fanaticman13

fanaticman13 New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Pam,

I can understand your confusion and to answer your question, the instructions could be interpreted as right or wrong. There are wireless adapters that do not plug directly into a USB port. Instead, these adapters sit on a desk (entertainment center) and actually have a USB cable connecting the wireless adapter to the computer, tivo, whatever. I would still consider this situation as a "wireless" solution given the fact that a "wired" network typically refers to an ethernet cable being used to perform the communication between a tivo/pc and a router.

I quickly took a look at a few of the recommended adapters on tivo's website and it looks like most just plug directly into the USB port without the need of a separate USB cord. Assuming this is the kind of adapter you have, the instructions then are a little misleading. You should be able to plug your adapter directly into the USB adapter of your tivo and call it good.

Personally, I just received my tivo yesterday and opted for a wired connection, so someone please step in and correct me if I'm misleading Pam in anyway.

4. fanaticman13

fanaticman13 New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    You beat me to it Paul. :)

5. pm3009

pm3009 New Member

Dec 26, 2005

Advertisements

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the responses. I currently have a dlink router, but no usb wireless adapter. I'll get one of the supported adapters.

My Tivo is in the same room as my wireless router. The only reason I'd go with wireless for the Tivo, is to avoid having to hide the Lan cable, or pull up my new carpet and try to stick it under there. Is it that much faster of a connection to have it wired rather than wireless?

Thanks again.
    Pam

6. fanaticman13

fanaticman13 New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    It seems like I've read quite a few posts on this message board where some weren't completely satisfied with the transfer rate of their wireless adapter.

As stated before, I use wired so I will differ to others currently using wireless to chime in and give you the full scoop.

I really only see the transfer rate being a main concern in the event you are planning on transferring your tivo data to your PC in the future. If not, then I would worry more about convenience rather than transfer rate. I can't imagine that there would be a HUGE noticeable difference between transfer speeds when updating programming data or future software updates.

If it makes you feel any better, I too would have opted for a wireless connection if my tivo wasn't located a foot from my wireless router.

7. The.Mayor

The.Mayor From Alabama

Oct 25, 2005
    Brainy Boro, NJ
    There is a huge slowdown using wireless lan if you intend to xfer progtrams using TiVo to Go. I don't have the exact figures, but it is significant. I use both wired and wirelsss. Wirelss is great to take the place of your daily fone call to update program guide and software update. But to xfer a 1 hour TV show at high quality, just grab a copy of War and Peace and be happy with your wireless connector.

John