Are there Tivo-proof broadcasts? Tivo wouldn't record the Raiders game...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cruzan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Cruzan

Cruzan New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA
    I tried to record yesterday's Raiders/Broncos game OTA on KION from Monterey. When I tried to watch it, it was blank. I then tried to watch it live on the HR-250, and it was black with no audio. I bypassed the Tivo and switched to my TV's tuner, and it was fine, in glorious HD.

I have three hypotheses, from least to most paranoid:

- They dragged out some obsolete equipment that is incompatible with HD-Tivos
    - The local station is testing a new transmission format that Tivo's won't record
    - The latest update (6.3e) includes code that allows stations to prevent recording
    - My Tivo is a 49er fan and wants me to watch them.

Did anyone else experience anything similar? It was weird. It was also weird watching a game in real time.

2. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Did you try restarting???

That solves everything. :D

Seriously, have not seen anything like that if the game was truly shown on the channel but not coming through the Tivo.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The PSIP data could be wrong and your TV understands it and the Tivo doesn't. Do you normally get the channel? If so, then the PSIP data is not the culprit.

When WBAL in Batimore changed its encoding system, there were a few days that different devices saw the channel differently. My HR10 saw it on its native channel (59-1 only), my HR20 didn't see it at all because it can't scan for channels like the HR10 and my TV saw it on 11-1 just fine.