Are there more than 1 kind of Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by barb1948, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1 of 14
    barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO

Advertisements

I have Roamio Pro and Comcast. My main TV is connected to Tivo Box, Xfinity Modem, and Netgear router and all working fine finally.

Now I want to put another tv in bedroom. Do I need a mini?
    And If i don't care if Tivo access is available in bedroom, do I still need a mini?

Or can the modem wirelessly get me TV reception in Bedroom?

Sorry for the lame question, but confused.

thanks

2. Jun 8, 2016 #2 of 14
    CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    You'll need a 'Cable Box' of some sort for Cable TV reception on the Bedroom TV.

Mini is probably the cheapest route long term. As you're not paying an extra monthly fee for renting another Cable Box from Comcast. Retail it's $149 (no subscription fee) you can get them cheaper than that though. Check with you're local Comcast, but for here there's an Outlet and box charge that I think adds up to about $15/mo, so after a year you've already paid more renting an extra box from them.

The Mini will use one of your Roamio Pro's tuner's when you're watching it. And it can get any content that's on your Roamio and use it's streaming services as well.

There is an older (Model #TCDA92000) and newer version (Model #TCDA93000) of the Mini

The newer one is faster and has an RF remote. I'm not sure of the other differences, but the $20 more (based on pricing I've noticed) is worth the newer version IMHO.

3. Jun 8, 2016 #3 of 14
    barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Thank you. Perfect!

4. Jun 8, 2016 #4 of 14
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    and you can buy V1 mini's cheap especially in the Ebay forum here from folks that upgraded, I bet they'll take reasonable offers..

just sayin'

5. Jun 8, 2016 #5 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Minis would have to be connected by either ethernet or MoCa, which is Networking over coax. Mini, Roamio Plus/Pro, Bolt models have built-in MoCa adapters. However, your router may need an adapter. Bandwidth on wireless is far too slow for adequate streaming on the network.

6. Jun 9, 2016 #6 of 14
    CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    The OP indicates that she has a Roamio Pro ;)

As for bandwidth on wireless being far too slow, I'd have to call BS on that. It's more of a TiVo not wanting to have to deal with any speed issues if it's too slow. As an experiment, I've ran mine just fine using a Wireless Adapter to feed the Mini via it's Ethernet port and I tried the same thing to feed the Roamio it's Ethernet Port, and others on here have done so as well.

At most she'll need to provide Wired Ethernet source to the Roamio (which could be via a Wireless Adapter if need be.)

7. Jun 9, 2016 #7 of 14
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    To the best of my knowledge, no company supports wireless speeds, no ISP for sure and for good reason. Too many variables to trouble shoot, including congestion and other equipment and environmental factors. And if you have to contact Tivo for any type of support, as soon as they hear wireless, you are on your own. That's not BS.
    Having said that, if you are knowledgeable enough to establish a powerful wireless environment, particularly on the 5GHz band, and use the right wireless to Ethernet adapters (aka Media Bridges) it is not too hard to establish a stable and more than ample bandwidth to successfully use Tivos.
    Using a Tivo DVR's builtin wireless and then trying to further support other Tivo's via wireless is reported to be much less successful.

8. Jun 9, 2016 #8 of 14
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree that it's not a bandwidth issue. I have two Mini boxes next door from one basic Roamio. However the Roamio is using a wired connection and one Mini uses a TiVo wireless N and one uses a Linksys EA-N66R. The internal wireless of a Roamio is fine for guide updates. It's sort like analog and digital. Miss a millisecond of audio from analog and you might not even notice. Miss a millisecond of digital and it could be serious. A small stutter during your viewing a program would very bad.

Of course you need a good router. And you would have no problem if the Mini and its host were close. But the point of the Mini is a remote location. MoCA and Ethernet are much better.

9. Jun 9, 2016 #9 of 14
    barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks But

What is an RF Remote? and what is IMHO? Thanks

10. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    SO... a bit of confusion here. The mini i get for bedroom will get info from my Roamio Pro Plus. Do I need a special splitter or moca thing in addition to the splitter
    the comcast folk put in a "CommScope Digital Splitter 5-1002MHz; SV-3BG" ?

each coaxial cable needs a moca splitter or ROmamio Pro Plus has it integrated in it?

thank you... so much!!

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Older remotes used IR (Infrared) to send commands. Some newer ones use RF (radio frequency) so you don't need to "see" the device. The device needs the ability to receive IR and/or RF. The Premiere is IR only. The Bolt and Roamio can use either.

IMHO

Google is your friend. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  12. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Here's what you need.

1.) Wired Ethernet connected to your Roamio Pro - Go into the Network settings and set it to provide MoCA (i.e. Roamio get's internet from Wired Ethenet - then provides that Internet access over Coax using a protocol called MoCA - Which your Mini will use)
    2.) Coax to the bedroom. Typically the Comcast splitters have been know to be able to pass the MoCA signals. I would not worry about it at the moment, if needed you can buy a MoCA rated splitter on Amazon for a small amount of money. Hook the Mini up to the Coax. Make sure you read the instructions and register the Mini first.

That really should be all you need and it's the simplest solution. I'd ignore the other technical debates we're having on your thread :rolleyes:

There's a large thread on setting up a Mini here. It's a good resource but may be a bit daunting if you don't have much experience with this sort of thing. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501722

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't forget to add a MoCA POE Filter where the cable comes into the house. Comcast may already have one on the line at the grounding block (usually outside where their coax cable meets yours.) It would have the letters POE Filter on it. If it doesn't have it, you want to add one so you're Internet network remains secure.

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    MoCA was designed to work with most readily available splitters. With this in mind, try what you have already, but if you run into problems and are considering upgrading splitters, then I suggest you look for MoCA rated versions, not "MoCA" mentioned in the product description, but saying "MoCA 2.0" with a range of 5-1675MGz on the label itself.
    BTW, that definition of "IMHO" actually means "In my NOT so humble opinion", in my experience.;)

14. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    :up: