Are the TiVo HD and TiVo Series 3 power supplies interchangeable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RickStrobel, Jan 16, 2019.

1. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Are the TiVo HD and TiVo Series 3 power supplies interchangeable?

I have a TiVo Series 3 with Lifetime subscription. Recently it went into a loop where it says "almost there", etc. (forget the exact messages).

Years ago I upgraded the storage with a 1TB drive. The original drive was placed on a shelf.

I put that original drive in. Same result. I'm thinking it might be the power supply.

Not too fond of or good at soldering.

But, I do have a brand new TiVo HD in a box that has never been opened or activated. I tried to sell it once but got no offers. I wouldn't mind it being an organ donor for the power supply.

Would that work?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look for any electronic/TV repair shop in your area.

Teeps likes this.
  3. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Why?

4. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    He probably meant to replace the capacitors on your s3's power supply.

The power supplies are not interchangable.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They can do the soldering work when you cannot.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The S3 OLED and the HD power supplies are not interchangeable as the original has a 7.5V supply for the OLED. I would agree to try and find a friend who knows how to solder and replace the capacitors for $10 or so. Note that the HD models have 2 different power supplies made by 2 companies which are interchangeable within the HD line. The earlier one is by the same company that made the OLED power supply but lacks the 7.5V feed.

Scott

7. Feb 2, 2019 #7 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do not put a 648 supply in anything else because of that extra 7.5 Volt line.

If it doesn't short to something then you're still running it without a load, which is not good for switching power supplies.

You can, for a short period of time, for test purposes, put a 652 or 658 supply in a 648 to see if it makes a difference in whether it boots, etc.

In your case I'd start with a KickStart 58 on that 648, and see if that helps. Your situation smells more like a software problem than a hardware one, with a possible hard drive trouble exception, but let's not assume the worst to begin with.

The change in the lights when you should hit the pause button before entering 58 will come at about 60 seconds after plugging the power cord back in.

8. Feb 2, 2019 #8 of 12
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Thanks for the tips. I actually just shipped the power supply out to be repaired today.

Teeps likes this.
  9. Feb 5, 2019 #9 of 12
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Let us know how it works.
    Maybe post the contact info for the repair shop?

10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Teeps likes this.
  11. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I sent supply to him, arrived late in afternoon Friday he repaired and still got it mailed back to me same day, will be here today (Monday) FL to CA.

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    A pretty good deal considering shipping.
    And it saves you the hassle of finding someone local to do the work and sourcing the parts.