Are the rest of us ever going to get SkipMode?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Dan203, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

So it's been 2 months since SkipMode was released to the SF and Chicago markets, what about the rest of us?

If they need to charge a fee for it then so be it. I just want it. I'm sick of having inconsistent abilities from one room to the other. And I can't just replace my Roamio Pro with a Bolt as there is no equivalent.

2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I can help you out. Send your Bolt my way. I wouldn't want to see with different devices. It's the least I could do. :D

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I haven't heard any more news other than speculation here. I would love to have it too.

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Considering that other posters in the SF DMA report that they DO NOT HAVE SKIPMODE, are there any Forum Members in SFO or CHI that ARE NOT ON COMCASTthat have skipmode?

5. geodon005

geodon005 Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Mt....

Advertisements

I switched to WOW! in December and can verify that SkipMode is working on my newly recorded shows (works like a charm, in fact).

6. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I'm in San Jose, CA using OTA (Roamio Basic) and skipmode is available to me (and it works).

7. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    TiVo support on Twitter responded to me that there are no current plans to roll out nationwide.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Booooooooo!!!!!!!

Come on TiVo. Charge us a fee if you need to have the feature paid for. I'll pay for it. I just want the functionality.

At the very least can you enable SkipMode when streaming from a Bolt to a Roamio. That would help a little. (although I'd still prefer SkipMode on the Roamio recordings too)

9. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    So I guess I need to move.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You guys must really, really hate commercials. I think I'll keep pressing the skip button a couple of times rather than move to a different (and incredibly expensive) city. Been doing that since the dawn of the video recorder, guess I can do it a little longer.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am with Dan - SkipMode is a great feature and once you use it you get real addicted to it real fast. I watch a few shows that don't have it and really wish they did. It is more than just getting rid of commercials most of the time it works so well you can use it and end up without any break in the show, which improves most shows, just like if you watching via a DVD or commercial free streaming service.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I love it too. I used it on my Dish Hopper for years and on my WMC system after that. I'm just not willing to move to get it ;-) As long as I can still use my thumbs, I'll survive.

13. jay427

jay427 Jay

Jul 23, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm ready for it as well. I kinda of wish I did not read this forum, I would not have known about it otherwise!

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For me the biggest advantage is the avoidance of spoilers. When FFing, or using Skip, you will sometimes ruin a show by going too far. Shows like The Biggest Loser and @Midnight usually announce the winner as soon as they return from commercial, so even skipping just a few seconds too far can ruin it.

Having to only press 1 button and getting back to the show, without having to deal with over correction, is also really nice.

15. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I'm not willing to move for it, just hope it's rolled out to us at some point. Not gonna lose sleep over it.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    But it is only a few more button clicks.😝

Seriously, the skip is a great feature. Always on target. No need to pay attention to get the right number of slips forward or time FF. Just one button and Bam!

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    :D :up:

18. heifer624

heifer624 Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Florida's...

HECK NO :mad: Don't charge me an additional fee! Tivo take care of ALL your current customers and grandfather us in. IF you've just got to charge an additional fee do it to NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. That's the least you can do for loyal customers.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I definitely REALLY like skip mode.. Though, total anecdote, I seem to be seeing a lot more 'cut too close' jumps IN after a commercial.. Too long for an 8 second skip back, so I manually rewind to make sure I didn't miss anything. The VAST majority of the time I didn't really miss anything, a few times it jumped into the first spoken sentence..

(This is ignoring the one HUGE error with the premiere of Bordertown already mentioned.)

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I wonder how the skips are tagged. If they are strictly time, clock drift could cause a problem. Or delays in the system for local channels or cable systems.

I haven't seen a skip that cuts it too close yet. Of course it also depends on the shows.