Are the Mini's really worth the trouble

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mark1958, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1 of 47
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...

Advertisements

First let me start by saying I have been a Tivo subscriber since the inception.
    I recently purchased a couple of Roamio Pro's to replace the slowly dying HD's Units from (2008), and was thinking about purchasing a mini to take advantage of the skip and other features of the Roamio pro's in a couple of other rooms in our house.
    But from looking around the forum I'm seeing quite a lot of problems from many people and just wondering if they are really worth the headache.
    I'm running my home with a Linksys router with dd-wrt firmware and a couple of switch boxes and thought I might try a mini on my network.

I could really use some input from anyone using a similar setup and the pros and cons, Thanks in advance for you input. ;) Mark

2. Mar 4, 2016 #2 of 47
    mkwilliams1

mkwilliams1 New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    I skipped the Minis, and purchased 2 Amazon Fire TV boxes. They don't have all the features of the Minis, but with the TiVo application loaded on them, we can watch any recorded programs on the Fire TVs. The fire TVs also have access to more streaming services, like Showtime, CBS All Access, etc... This setup is working pretty well for us. At any rate, it's an option, and they can be configured to work wireless if you have enough wireless bandwidth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Mar 4, 2016 #3 of 47
    BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I never had any issues with my minis and I have 4 of them all setup with moca connected to a 6 tuner 3tb Roamio. For the price they're really hard to beat. I picked up the v2 mini for around $115 a piece from Amazon.

Just remember, you're only going to see people posting who have trouble with them, because there is no reason for the people who have no issues at all to postthat everything is working as expected.

4. Mar 4, 2016 #4 of 47
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Thanks for your input MK , but I should have also added that I'm presently using a Premier XL on a hdmi switch to the rooms I was thinking of using the mini, ( just so you get the whole picture). I just like some of the new features that are available on the Bolt & Roamio's.

5. Mar 4, 2016 #5 of 47
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013

Advertisements

I have 6 minis and never had a problem. They have worked and I prefer them over using my xl4. Just because they are much faster and responsive.

6. Mar 4, 2016 #6 of 47
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    So true really hadn't thought about that, and thanks for the amazon tip thats were I found them the cheapest as well 112.94 and free shipping. :)

7. Mar 4, 2016 #7 of 47
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    That is another reason I was contemplating purchasing a mini, my Premier XL has been getting more and more sluggish lately.

8. Mar 4, 2016 #8 of 47
    Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I only have 1 mini up in my loft but I find it totally worth it. I like having control of the programming while I'm watching. If I want to pause it to go take a leak, I can...if I want to rewind a game to watch what just happened because I'm slow and missed it, I can...you have the full experience of the main TiVo box for very little money. Definitely worth it in my book.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #9 of 47
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Thanks for your input Scott, good to hear there are folks out here having good luck with the units, I have just been reading of so many problems with people connecting to their networks (not connecting, rebooting, features not working) maybe it's just the user's.

10. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I am connected through Cat5e...I haven't had any problems with my mini.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My brother and I haven't had any issues with our Minis. I'm using Powerline and he's using Moca.

Scott

12. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have 3 minis and no problems to report. Once in a blue moon, if I rebooted my router, the minis would fail to reconnect to the main Tivo, but since I put static IPs into each Mini, no issues.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    5 Minis on Moca here, never a single issue. On the other hand, I do use the FireTV app occasionally, but everyday use would definitely have me pulling my hair out. It's a very poor substitute for a Mini. Perhaps if you'd never used a Mini, you wouldn't know any better.

I think the issues you see here are that people don't understand how to initially set them up or have some unusual network issues that existed before they ever added any Minis. I wouldn't worry about that at all. Minis work beautifully and are usually plug and play.

14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I have a mini and have never once posted what nice job it does.

Fire TV app has been fun to play with, but as a true solution it still has a way to go. I assume its in beta because it was an easy translation for them to build once they found the app had been side loaded.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Before anyone with a Roamio basic or OTA model (e.g., me) gets all excited about the Fire TV TiVo app: It doesn't work with that TiVo model (unless you add a TiVo Stream). That's what the Amazon description of the app says, anyway.

16. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I got a Mini for Christmas. Once I wrapped my mind around the new (to me) concept of MoCa, I found that I love, love, love my Mini.

17. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    This. I've been trouble free with Minis and I'm also using the Moca network to extend wifi throughout my home. It's really good stuff.

18. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Thank you all for your input :), I'm ready to pull the trigger on a mini the only issue I'm really worried about is getting a grasp on the Ethernet networking part of the whole thing. I'm using my router in the dhcp mode and from my understanding it assigns all the ip address's to everything on the network ?
    Do I have to change this and is it because if I have to restart my router the addresses can change ?. I have a little knowledge of networking but I know a little knowledge can be dangerous :eek::eek: . I just need a little help understanding
    this end of the networking thing. And if I do have to change the setting to run static IP's does this mean I have to assign everything on my network their own IP address?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Correct

There is absolutely nothing you have to change or do besides plug in the Mini.

20. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Just my two cents....... Two Minis connected with Cat5E cable and I couldn't be happier!! Never any problems connected to my Romeo, and now with Skip Mode I am really loving them even more!!