Are Premier Elites ready for Prime Time Yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bareyb, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1 of 32
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Well as it turns out I may need a new TiVo and I'd like to try out the new Elite with four tuners. Do all four tuners really work as well as the two tuner models? Does MRV and all that work okay?

I have two Series 3's I'd like to be able to transfer shows back and forth from with the new Elite. No problem? I know the UI is sluggish and I'm fine with using the SDUI too. No problem there.

Are there any special deals from TiVo or elsewhere that I should know about before I pull the trigger? Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

2. Feb 1, 2012 #2 of 32
    Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I sold my TiVo HD about a year ago and just recently came back to TiVo with their Elite.

I like it a lot. I like the HD Menus (they still have a few lower-level (like settings) menus to complete but it's about 70% there - day to day you'll be using the HD menus), I really like the 4 tuners. The box is slimmer and not as deep as the older TiVos. I also like the front design of the box better than the TiVo HD. The TiVo HD was a little work horse but it's case design looked like something from the early 1980s and not in the good-retro way.

It's cable-only so you'll be dealing with the cable company, cableCards, and possibly tuning-adapter. It took them (Charter) two days to set mine up. CableCard went fairly smoothly but the tuning adapter procedure was: just keep trying them until one works (they went through 10 before one took). Now it all 'just works'.

I really like it and am happy with it.

The Premier seemed like TiVo Series 3.5 to me. With the Elite + the v20.2 software I think they're at Series 4 now (well, if they'd just finish all of the menus they'd be a Series 4. Probably more like Series 3.95 right now).

The 4 tuners are great, btw.

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 32
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "Are Premier Elites ready for Prime Time Yet?"

From everything I've read so far the original Premiere isn't ready for prime time yet, and possibly never will be.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #4 of 32
    DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    An Elite will be my next purchase. My Premiere XL works just fine, but it has only 2 tuners. We have FIOS and can't pick up OTA signals, so an Elite makes sense for our next purchase. The XL never had a problem recording and playing back cable video. Latest software rev. 20.2 solves most minor complaints. Some of the other source materials such as Netflix that come in via network connections depend upon internet connections may have more problems. So much there depends upon your ISP, connection reliability and if wired/wireless. Upgrading of these apps hopefully will solve most connection related problems. Other minor details that may or may not be personal preferences will never all be 100%. You say toe-mato, I say tow-may-tow. My $0.02. If you are anal retentive and a device needs to be 100.00000% perfect then you'll not be happy. But then again, you'll not be happy if it was, maybe. Otherwise, getting your cable company to make the cable card to work will be your biggest challenge. Technicians that are products of our public school systems and haven't bothered to learn their skills sets are not Tivo's problem, just make a simple process seem like witches brew magic. Not putting the blame where blame belongs, with the cable companies, is so often laid at Tivo's door step. If you have FIOS and did like I did and just installed their devices, pulled the M card from STB and connect, then you'll have zero problems getting up and running. Plus with an Elite you can use MOCA with the FIOS internet router.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #5 of 32
    bikegeek

bikegeek Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Amesbury, MA
    I think it is. I have a Premier and a Premier Elite and both work great. With 20.2 I started using the HDUI and I think that it is well done, it is only occasionally sluggish. It would be nice to have the remainder of the screens converted but that isn't as important to me as having four tuners and 2T of storage. The SDUI on the Premiers screams compared to my original OLED S3.

Having four tuners is awesome. There are a lot less conflicts.

6. Feb 1, 2012 #6 of 32
    mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I bought an Elite w/lifetime a couple of days before last Christmas to replace a hacked OLED S3 w/lifetime that had a failing 1TB hard drive.

So far, I have not regreted the purchase. The four tuners are awesome.

And the TiVo iPad app that works with the Elite is pretty good and really fun and easy to use.

Even with 20.2 pushed to my Elite last week, it is probably personal preference, but I don't really like the HD UI, I prefer the SD UI. And the SD UI is very fast.

The only thing I miss from the OLED S3 and I really miss it, is the OLED on the front of the S3 that displays what is recording. It was easy to check an OLED S3 to see what it was recording. The Elite just displays a red LED and you have to check the "To Do List" or check the iPad app to see what is recording.

However, the Elite is so much better then the S3 that I plan to replace my other OLED S3 with an Elite in the next couple of months. (After I do my taxes)

It is an expensive proposition to buy an Elite, but I recommend replace your failing OLED S3 with an Elite. The 2TB hard drive and 4 tuners are fantastic.

I was able to justify the purchase of a new Elite w/lifetime as I was able to sell my old OLED S3 on eBay for $400 with the original 250GB hard drive. It would have cost about $150 to replace the failing 1TB DVR hard drive. The new features on the Elite, especially the iPad app, help to made the decision to pull the trigger.

I don't think you will regret it either.

Enjoy,

mchiles

BTW, Setup of the new Elite was fairly easy. No Cable Card drama. I pulled the two Comcast/Motorola M-Cards out of the OLED S3 and put one of them in the new Elite. When I got to the cable card setup screen of the Elite, I called Comcast, explained to the customer service rep what I was doing, gave him several sets of numbers that were displayed on the cable card setup screen, he refreshed the cable card and like magic, I had all my Comcast HD and Premium Movie channels included 3D channels. The process took maybe five minutes. Much better than the several days and visits it took a few years back to get my first S3 to work with cable cards.

7. Feb 1, 2012 #7 of 32
    logicman

logicman Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm quite happy with it. As others have said having 4 tuners is awesome.

8. Feb 1, 2012 #8 of 32
    nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New London,...
    Is it ready for prime time? Hell yeah! I LOVE mine!

Having four tuners is amazing! It's so liberating to simply not have to worry about recording conflicts. And I record all the time, yet I have yet to go over 15% full on that huge 2TB hard drive!

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 32
    bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Thank you! I was so hoping that the four tuners REALLY worked. That is so awesome and it would solve a LOT of problems around here with having Season Passes spread between two TiVos.

ETA: Alright. I pulled the trigger. I just got off the Weaknees Website. Figured I'd throw them the business since they support us here. My new Elite will be here on Friday. Can't tell you how long I've been waiting for four tuners to become a reality. This is gonna be great. Thanks for the encouraging words! :D:D:D

10. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New London,...
    You'll have to get new service. Your Series 3's service won't carry over.

I was a bit bummed about that, I still had a year and a half left on my contract. But after using the Premiere Elite for a few weeks I don't even care about that anymore!

11. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    We've decided to keep the S3 active and use in the bedroom with the new TV. We just ran a CAT6 cable to the bedroom and we should be good to go in there. The new Elite is going in here in the Living Room. Can't wait... :)

12. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    i am getting the itch but holding back. I was a first mover on the S3 OLED at $700+ which included transfer of lifetime which wasnt supposed to be possible "ever" again lol.

Fool me once etc... For now have the S3 and HD with lifetime on both but cant see myself spendng another $800. Tempted to sell the HD for $300 or so but still leaves me with quite a bit to get to an elit with lifetime.

13. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah, I hear you. The new furniture in the bedroom kind of forced our hand. I was lusting after an Elite once I knew they existed, but I had no plans on getting one until one of my S3's died.

Our Standard Def Tube TV ruined the shelf in our last Armoire and my wife wanted to get a flatscreen since they are so much lighter. When she said that, I kept a straight face, but inside I was doing cartwheels.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since you just got a new S4, you might be able to threaten to cancel that S3 and get the $99 lifetime offer on it.

15. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Hey it's worth a try. I'll ask, and report back. :)

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go find the $99 lifetime thread and read through it.

Actually there may be more than one.

First people with some kind of S3 who bought a 3 year deal when lifetime wasn't available were offered the $99 deal when their 3 years was running out.

That started about last spring or so.

Then people who had had an S3 (and I think in at least one case an S2) for around 3 years or so who bought an S4 and went to cancel the older unit got the offer.

And I think some people have gotten it on threat of cancellation of a long-time held unit even without buying an S4.

But, unfortunately for me, you can't get a new (to you) S3 and sub it for a month and then threaten to cancel and get the deal. You have to have owned it for a while (with TiVo getting money out of you the whole time).

17. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Well then we should qualify. I just checked Tivo.com and we activated that S3 in December of 2006. :cool:

18. Capmeister

Capmeister Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Metro DC
    Do you need two M-series cable cards for this?

19. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, just one. M-cards can handle 6 streams actually.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Plus the Elite only has one cable card slot.