Are NBA League Pass channels through XFinity finally in HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nuraman00, Dec 30, 2020.

1. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012

Advertisements

I used to have League Pass from 2008 - 2016.

One of the reasons I stopped league pass after 2015-2016, was that I was tired of the games not being in HD. They only had 1 HD channel.

Yes, I could stream the games in a little better quality, but then I can't DVR the games.

Anyways, it appears the games might finally be in HD, according to this:

++++++++++

league-pass

Every game in HD

Only with X1, on channels 3034-3064. Catch up to 40 out-of-market games each week. Record to watch on your time.

+++++++++++

Does anyone know if this will work on Tivos? Will all of those channels be in HD on a Tivo too?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If I had to guess they are IP only channels that won’t work on TiVo. You could call them and ask but may not get a correct answer. Why don’t you sign up for a trial and find out?

3. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Good idea, I'll see if there is a trial period or something.

If they are IP channels, and they work with X1, then why can't they work with a Tivo?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Because no retail TiVo’s can work with IPTV channels and given the direction of their business it seems unlikely they ever will. Believe me I wish that wasn’t the case.

CommunityMember and nuraman00 like this.
  5. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

because they are IP channels and not QAM. IP channels only work with the cable companies proprietary equipment. My cable company (Consolidated...the Telco in town) is IPTV so my Tivo doesnt work with it and have to use their (crappy) 2 tuner DVR
    (note: the landlord pays the bill for cable and internet so I dont have a choice to use Spectrum)

6. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    unfortanetly for you yesterday the the last day for the free nba league pass preview. I have frontier fios and i noticed all the games during the free preview were in in 720p which can look blurry at times,But now i use my apple tv for my nba team pass and it looks way better on my apple tv than my frontier fios. I actually was going to sign up for the nba league pass but decided to stay with team pass because my celtics games looked so good! and i pretty much only care to watch the celtics game but i will watch other game on nba ABC,ESPN,and TNT.

7. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Whenever you see a channel in the 3xxx range, it is delivered via IPTV (and that requires the various X1 boxes with Comcast).

There are also other channels, of course, in IPTV, some only in IPTV, and sometimes only the HD variants of the channel are in IPTV, and sometimes trying to determine which are which (linear QAM vs IPTV) can be a chore, but the 3xxx's are easy, IPTV only. I have also seen channels numbered from 20000 to 39999 in a channel listing which I presume are also IPTV.

PSU_Sudzi and nuraman00 like this.
  8. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    For people that have Xfinity's X1 IP box, can those channels be DVRed too?

9. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Looks like they are stored in the cloud. From the Comcast forums

Physical DVR's can only record QAM channels. All IP channels only record to the cloud. It's a bandwidth thing as you wouldn't want up to 6 IP feeds trying to be sent to your box for recording.

10. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    So can you REW and FF the content in those IP channels?

Can they also be accessed later?

11. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    If its like most other options that have a cloud DVR (hulu live, youtubetv, sling, etc) yeah you can

note I dont have Xfinity. I just googled "can I record xfinity iptv channels" and read the results ;)
    X1 Cloud DVR FAQs
    New "IP Channels" - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 3392522.

nuraman00 likes this.
  12. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    you answered your own question in your original post ;)

Only with X1, on channels 3034-3064. Catch up to 40 out-of-market games each week. Record to watch on your time.

Looks like with X1 you get 150 hours in the cloud. From the FAQ

You have 150 hours of X1 Cloud DVR storage for each X1 DVR TV Box on your account. If you exceed your limit, your most recent recordings will replace older recordings unless the older recordings are marked as Save for 1 Year.

13. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Is there some IP TV DVR I can purchase on my own, instead of renting Xfinity's, that would let me use the same DVR features to record and watch those IP TV channels?

Would I then use this in conjunction with my Tivo, or instead of my Tivo (for everything else too)?

14. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    They're recorded to the cloud. You need their X1 DVR/platform to be able to view/record those IP stations
    There is no 3rd party option
    instead of

nuraman00 likes this.