Are more shows being cancelled than before?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, Jul 26, 2007.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

It seems like there are a lot more shows being cancelled mid-season than in the past. Maybe its just that I notice it more now since I can watch more shows with Tivo but I just don't remember this many shows being cut off after less than one season, especially ones that are only designed to run a limited time (8 or 13 episodes). Here's some of the shows that have gone by the wayside since last fall without airing a full season:

Smith
    Vanished
    Daybreak
    Kidnapped
    Black Donnellys
    3 Lbs.
    Drive
    Happy Hour
    In Case of Emergency
    Justice
    Six Degrees
    The Nine
    The Winner
    Pirate Master

2. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    The Black Donnellys was a mid-season replacement for another canceled show.

And I think you're just noticing it more with Tivo. There might be a few more shows canceled, but that's probably a by-product of the fact that there are more shows being developed and produced. There's more money in it now than there ever was, so the competition has become more and more fierce. I don't imagine that this past year saw any more cancellations than the past 5-8 years. Probably a huge difference between this past year and the 1980s and before though.

3. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    Don't forget the fact of how many new shows are out there. In the old days there were only three networks, then added Fox and the CW , and with USA, Sci-fi etc all with original shows there are so many new shows every year.

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
  5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

well there are more channels so of course more shows are being cancelled.

6. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I've always griped about good shows getting cancelled as long as I can remember. It seems worse to me now because there are actually fewer shows that I watch regularly.

7. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Ya had to say Smith, LOVED that show :( :( :(

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    True but every show I listed in my OP was on one of the big four networks. If it's the competition from other channels then you'd think the networks would be more forgiving and understand that there are over 300 channels they are fighting against, not just the handful we had in the past. Lower ratings should be expected and accepted to a certain extent.

9. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    well back a bit ago there were what, 3 big channels and like 10 others lets say for arguments sake

now there are 4 main channels and hundreds of others, true the others shows aren't being canceled but are drawing away viewers from the non-power house shows (CSI, LOST, etc) so that hurts ratings.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Which episode was your favorite?

1,2 or 3?

11. jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    I think we're all just more in tune with online coverage about TV show news, so it feels like there is more being canceled.