Are Humax units as sluggish as Toshiba units?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by wsalopek, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1 of 10
    wsalopek

wsalopek New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I have a Toshiba DVD Tivo...it reacts very slowly to remote commands...my old Sony SVR-2000 is much quicker.

I sent the Toshiba back for service...it returned with no improvements.

If I bought a Humax, would it be just as sluggish as the Toshiba?

Thanks...

2. Apr 1, 2006 #2 of 10
    danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
    I have a Humax DVD. It is not as responsive as my SRV-3000. Not terrible, just not as responsive.

3. Apr 1, 2006 #3 of 10
    wsalopek

wsalopek New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Did you ever own an SVR-2000?

I'm wondering if my safest bet is to get an SVR-3000 to replace my SVR-2000...I'd like to get at least as good picture quality as my SVR-2000, as well as keep the zippy performance (as compared to the Humax/Toshiba).

Thanks...

4. Apr 2, 2006 #4 of 10
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    With the recent 7.2.2 update, my DRT-400 menus and response to remote key presses is as good as my S2-240 series..

Prior to this update it was noticeably sluggish.

J

5. Apr 5, 2006 #5 of 10
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Are you all using cable boxes? Or something with the IR remote control?

We use straight cable into the TiVo and remote response is instant--volume, mute, channel change, scrolling through a list, etc.

6. Apr 5, 2006 #6 of 10
    wsalopek

wsalopek New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    No cable boxes.

And are you saying that your Toshiba, Series 2 with DVD burner has instant response to the remote? Or is it a different model?

Thanks...

7. Apr 6, 2006 #7 of 10
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Yes, Toshiba with built-in DVD burner. Cable actually fed into VCR which then is fed into TV. (But it doesn't matter which way it's connected.)

Instant response for volume, mute, and TiVo Now Playing functions. JVC TV. To be clear, the TiVo takes the remote button push immediately. Say we're entering a folder in the Now Play list. Press the left-arrow remote button clears the screen immediately, then there is a delay while the TiVo unit momentarily gets its act together before showing the folder contents. But that 1-2 second delay is a computer box, TiVo lag not a remote issue and isn't bothersome at all.

I even tested Live TV just now--which we rarely if ever use. Press Channel down or up button, current channel disappears immediately, the upper right new channel logo/number comes on right away; then the new channel itself comes on after a pause--count 1,000 and before you can finish 1,001, the show is visible.

Hope that helps.

8. Apr 7, 2006 #8 of 10
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    My Humax Tivo with DVD burner has this exact same pause. The light on the box is instantaneous, but it takes a while to respond. Probably a little bit more than 1,001, but close enough. My Series 2 TIVO tivo unit, however, has absolutely NO lag. It very quickly changes the channel/pops up the TIVO menu/displays now playing, etc. If Tivo made a DVR with a DVD burner I'd buy it in an instant.

9. Apr 8, 2006 #9 of 10
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I doubt it will change with a TiVo branded unit... although presumably Series 3 will have a souped up processor and respond faster...

but do count the 1,000s the next time and report back. Literally, i cannot get to the 1,001 and it's switched TV channels. So, it's not instant, but still fast.

Also, what size hard drive do you have? I have little doubt that part of the delay in displaying Now Playing is that we have a 160 gig hard drive that is chock full of shows in dozens of folders. While we'd rather have it display instantaneously, we only go into the NP once at the start of watching something, so the "lag" really isn't a big deal at all. In fact, until this thread, I wouldn't even said that it took a second or two.

So if that's the only thing holding you back from getting a DVD unit, I'd say go for it. The DVD burning ability far outweighs any momentary lag in getting a long Now Playing folder list to appear.

10. wsalopek

wsalopek New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    The "lag" I was originally talking about was lag in responding to remote commands...like I hit fast-forward, and there is a delay in the Toshiba TiVo responding to that command.

The "lag" you are talking about is "processor lag"...the time it takes AFTER the remote command is accepted, for the machine to fast-forward, or display a list, etc.

My old Sony SVR-2000 responds INSTANTLY to remote commands, where the Toshiba is always slow...sometimes there is a small delay (1/2-second?), and sometimes a longer delay (1 to 2 seconds?).

As frustrating is it is to have this delay on all remote commands, the worst part is when I'm fast-forwarding thru commercials...I hit "play", and the unit takes a second to respond, and I miss where I wanted to be in the program, then have to go back, repeat, etc.

I would have thought a TiVo unit built several years AFTER my old Sony, would have been far FASTER than the Sony, but certainly not any slower.

The Toshiba is a really big dissapointment...I sent it in for "repairs", but it came back in exactly the same condition.

I can't believe the people that built the Toshiba actually thought it's performance was acceptable.