Are Dish multi-switches compatible with Directv?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by canoebuildah, Apr 1, 2006.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Earthmonster

Apr 15, 2004
    Lakes...
    My friends have moved into a new house that has a Dish Network dish on the roof and wiring running all over the house. They ordered Directv and the installer is coming this week. They are getting one PVR and two regular receivers. However, I am giving them two of my Directivo receivers. There is an existing multi-switch on the house from Dish.

Since the installer will not need to install a multi-switch for their ordered system, can we reuse the Dish Network multi-switch?

Thanks,

Chris

2. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
  3. tigersfanjj

tigersfanjj New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Tell them to ask the installer what he would charge them to put in a multiswitch and the 2 extra receivers. Most of us don't mind doing a little side job for some extra cash while we are already at the customers house.

4. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Since multi-switches are just LNB controllers and the LNBs are the same, in fact in the old days the ROUND dishes where the same and interchangeable between Dish and DirecTV, then the existing multi-switch will work.

The differences today are in the new dishes to receive feeds from multiple satellites, but there are NO DIFFERENCES IN THE MULTI-SWITCHES, other than the requirement to connect to multiple LNBs on the new 5 LNB DirecTV dishes, but the 5x12 or 5x16 multi-switches will work with Dish Network dishes and receivers or DirecTV dishes and receivers.

5. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Doh!

Feb 20, 2006
    Since my 3-LNB dish has a built-in 4-port multiswitch, and all 4 outputs are identical & have all signals - it seems to me the 4x8 multiswitch I have must be just a simple 4->8 switch that shouldn't care what input signals were sent into it. Is that right?

6. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    With the D* 3-LNB dish, you have 4 combinations of signal needed to request/control the LNBs. 13V no tone for 101 odd transponders, 18V no tone for 101 even transponders, 13V 22KHz tone for 119 odd transponders, 18V 22KHz for 110/119 even transponders.

If you are connected directly to the dish from the receiver, the receiver will send the applicable voltage/tone to request the satellite/transponder it needs.

If you are using a multiswitch, all 4 feeds from the dish must be connected to the multiswitch. What the multiswitch does is to lock each of the 4 feeds to one of the 4 combinations described above. Then when a receiver requests a particular combination, the multiswitch connects the receiver to the applicable feed from the dish.

So your multiswitch does care what input signals are sent into it - it must have one each of the 4 combinations. When connected to the phase III 3-LNB dish, it does not matter which connector on the dish is connected to which connector on the multiswitch, but all 4 must be connected.

Carl