Are cable cards swappable between Tivos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by spammsmcghee, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 #1 of 11
    spammsmcghee

spammsmcghee New Member

Feb 19, 2010

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD that I've been using for a couple months. It has an activated cable card installed. I just got a Tivo Premiere, and I want to put it in the living room in place of the HD, and move the HD to the bedroom. Can I remove the cable card from the HD and install it into the Premiere, and have it continue working just as the HD was? I know I will have to get another cable card and have an installer come out, but it is the weekend now. So I won't be able to get anyone out for a few days. I'd rather start using the Premiere now if I can, and have the installer come out to put a new card in the HD. Will this work?

2. May 7, 2010 #2 of 11
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    You'll have to call in and have the card paired with your Premiere but other than that, you shouldnt have any problems.

3. May 7, 2010 #3 of 11
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It depends on whether the cable card is married to the box. I have FiOS and the cards are not married. I can move my cards between boxes as many times as I want with no issues.

4. May 7, 2010 #4 of 11
    b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    with Comcast you'll probably have an issue. The Host ID changes and Comcast doesn't like that. Takes a call to them or a truck roll. Half the time they say they can't do it and have to give you a new card (if you're upgrading). This is what happened to me this time, on my fourth box.

5. May 7, 2010 #5 of 11
    spammsmcghee

spammsmcghee New Member

Feb 19, 2010

Advertisements

I do have Comcast (unfortunately), so I guess I'll leave it alone. I can hang with the "old one" for a few days. I just hope they send somebody that knows what they're doing. Went through 3 idiots the first time.

6. May 7, 2010 #6 of 11
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My living room HDXL hard drive failed about 30 days after install and I replaced it with a PXL. Had nothing to lose so just swapped the M card into the new unit. It worked fine with the exception of a couple of SD channels. Before I got around to calling out Comcast those just sort of self corrected also.

It appears to take a truck roll to fix/correct/repair/do anything around here....but the service tech that usually handles our neighborhood is a really good/smart guy.

7. May 7, 2010 #7 of 11
    gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    That is the exception....

8. May 7, 2010 #8 of 11
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Uh huh....I believe that. I was very surprised it worked.

9. May 8, 2010 #9 of 11
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It really is beyond stupid that they have to send someone out each time. I went through the same thing with Cox, and the technicians are all clueless. I asked on the phone if I could just pick up the card from the local center (which is a mile away) and call them with the activation information. Nope, that is just too easy.

10. jpriz

jpriz New Member

May 8, 2010
    NYC Time Warner was just here trying to bring up cablecard on brand new TIVO Primiere XL NO GO in the middle of a reset.

11. moolman

moolman New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Just call repeatedly until you get someone who will pair it without a truck roll or exchaning the cards. When I upgraded from the S3 to my Premiere XL. The cable card did work but once in a while ESPN only would throw up the cable card screen. Under the Cable card diagnostic screen, it said it was not paired but still worked somewhat. When I called to pair it, 2 reps didn't know how to do it and wanted me to exchange the card. On a 3rd try, the guy took down all the info, host ID and other things and paired it. Immediately, the card showed as paired in the diagnostic screen.