Are cable cards still mandated?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CheezWiz, Mar 29, 2017.

1. CheezWiz

CheezWiz ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...

Advertisements

We finally have a Charter competitor moving in providing gigabit fiber to the home and decent rates for cable, but they say they will not support cable card.

The TiVo web site states this "Federal law mandates that all major cable companies provide CableCARDs"

So is that the way the law reads? "Major?"
    This is a local Telephone Coop corporation, so they are likely not "major" in size.

I also found this article that says Obama signed a law that dropped the Cable Card mandate:
    Obama Signs CableCARD Death Warrant | Light Reading
    and
    House Votes to Kill CableCARD Mandate | Light Reading

I was really looking forward to telling Charter and their ever increasing prices to kiss my butt, but I cannot stand the thought of TV without my TiVo.

2. CheezWiz

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    Well, I just saw this note at the bottom of one of those articles:
    "This is a misunderstanding of the legislation. It does not eliminate the support or use of CableCARDS. The CableCARD rules were in effect long before the "integration ban" was adopted. STELAR ends the "integration ban" not CableCARD support. As you note, the theory was that by forcing the cable operators to include CableCARDs even in leased devices that didn't need or use them, that would somehow spur the retail market. It was a total flop. The only thing that happened is that consumers wound up paying more for those leased boxes without getting any benefit. That's the rule that was eliminated. The notion that CableCARDS were somehow a viable retail alternative ended long ago, not by law, but when DBS boxes were exempted and television set manufacturers saw no market for including CableCARDS in their sets. The CableCARD rules themselves, however, live on."

So it looks like it is a misinterpretation of the law by the articles author. That makes sense as I would have expected to see that news pop up all over the sites I frequent.

So my question is still the same, if Cable Cards are mandated, how is "major" defined?

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It would also depend on how they are delivering TV. It could be IPTV like U-Verse, in which case a CableCARD won' work.

4. CheezWiz

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, in looking into this further, I am finding exemtions based on small subscriber bases as well as delivery methodology. I bet they are an IPTV provider since they come over fiber optic cable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

Charter still supports cable card: Spectrum.net About CableCARDS
    I have used cable card with Charter on and off for many years and continue to use it now. However, the "major" rule has always been in place and may indeed apply to a small cable company. But Charter isn't small.

Change to STELAR only lifts the mandate for cable cards to be installed in the cable company's own boxes. This opens the door for alternate delivery solutions. They aren't doing any IPTV.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely misread your post. I thought you meant Charter was telling you they no longer support cable card. It is very likely the new competitor does not support cable card for the reasons already mentioned.

I can tell you that a few days/weeks after cancelling Charter, they will inundate you will very good offers to return. I currently have a limited but very good cable TV plan with them called Spectrum Choice (all locals plus HBO (or other premium) plus 10 a la carte channels of your choice) for $29, everyday rack rate.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    We have *Charter, and have for decades, and I really hope they don't stop being compatible with cableCARDs - at least until Tivos no longer need them. It would really suck and put them on the same tier as satellite service, what with making themselves incompatible with Tivos.

*I keep forgetting that Charter has changed their name to Spectrum after they acquired TWC and some other, smaller, cable companies.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The OP wants to possibly drop Charter and go with the local alternative.

8. CheezWiz

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, I have been happy with Charter, but my bill kept creeping up. When it hit $170 for Internet, basic+Expanded (NO PREMIUMS), I went in to cancel and they dropped me to $109. ButI am excited that they will have competition regardless. Now I can just threaten to switch and possibly get them to give me a better rate. However, we could not handle TV without our TiVo anymore.

9. CheezWiz

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    I will have to look into that. I could certainly get by on such a thing I think. Especially getting to choose the 10 channels we want. Pretty sure the bulk of our watching is local, AMC, SciFi, BBC America and a few others.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That might work out. There were a few channels they would not let me pick. IFC comes to mind. BBCA may fall in that same category. But the others should be fine. I get BBCA and IFC on DirecTV NOW anyway. I think the channels I have are FOOD, Cartoon, HIST, Comedy Central, TCM, AMC, Discovery, TBS, USA, and FX. Also includes POP, CSPAN/2/3, INSP, Univision, and some shopping channels and all the music choice channels. Locals include NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, MYTV, and all my local subchannels (Movies!, Cozi, MeTV, Bounce, Grit, Antenna, Escape, GetTV, PBS Kids, etc.).

I also watch BBC directly from UK via a VPN on iPlayer (nothing to do with Charter package).

11. CheezWiz

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    Well, I found a link to an FCC notice and asked them to have a look at it and asked if they were exempt from it:
    https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-1373A1.pdf

Although I am 99% sure that they are exempt, they still need to know how to respond to this inquiry.
    They will get the question again, I know at least 10 people in my area that use either TiVos or HDHomeRun devices with cable cards. I have both at my house.

12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    HD Homerun has a cablecard device? I was not aware. my brother lets me use his youtubetv account and it is definitely a viable replacement especially for sports fans. I am with Cox and am happy but it is always good to have options

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The HD Homerun Prime cable card tuner has been around since 2011 (I had a couple of them back then). Silicon Dust also makes WinTV model cable card tuners for Hauppauge. Ceton also made cable card tuners for several years, many of which you can still get on ebay pretty cheap, and many of which are sitting in my closet.

Having said that, I can't recommend any of the above over Tivo since none can record copy protected content EXCEPT using Windows Media Center.