Are all Cable Card channels digital?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Okeemike, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I'm trying to figure out if my picture quality will improve. I have migrated from DTV to Brighthouse, and am not 100% thrilled with the quality of the signal. I'm curiouse to know if, when the cable cards are installed, if the signal for ALL channels will be digital? Or will only the HD, or 'higher' channels be digital (above channel 100 or so...)

It seems as if this should resolve not only the PQ issues, but prevent me from having to worry about setting recording quality.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If there are digital versions of your analog channels available (known as digital simulcast) then there's a good chance that when using cable cards you will get those instead. In my market that is the case and from many other forum posters here that is the case. However, it's not guaranteed that a) Your market is digital simulcasting b) cable cards will use those channels
    However you will find out for sure once cards are installed - there's a good chance you will get digital channels if I had to guess.

3. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    How can I tell if a given channel is digital or not?

4. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    You can look at the Diagnostics screen or press Record on the remote and check the confirmation message to see if there is a selection for record quality (selection=analog, no selection=digital).