Archive to DVD - Best method?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by remshard, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 22
    remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007

Advertisements

What is the best method to transfer Tivo recordings to DVDs? Is it to run your DVD recorder while watching the movie (what if I don't want to watch it), or is using TTG to transfer to PC then burn DVD from PC a better option? Both seem extremely time consuming just to offload something from a hard drive device to a DVD.

Are there any software programs to speed up the process and make it less labor intensive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 22
    chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    You could just burn the .tivo file on a DVD as a data file. No recoding/authoring required but you would need to transfer the .tivo file back to your Tivo to play later.

The other option is to author a playable DVD with one of the may options discussed in the forum. Some are more CPU/time consuming than others.

When you mean archive, is it for material you just want to keep for the long-term or just watch next month?

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 22
    hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Your question is probably answered in the FAQs of this thread.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 22
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I have used both the PC and standalone DVD Recorder methods. In terms of total time allotted, it's actually a toss-up.

If editing commercials and other unwanted material is important, unless you have a DVD recorder with a built-in hard drive, PC is the best way to go. But it takes time to transfer to your PC over a network (my wired network takes about 40 minutes for a one hour program, possibly longer for wireless ones) and after you've edited the program, I feel my PC (Core 2 Duo with Windows Vista Home Premium) is slower to encode than my DVD recorders (Sony and Pioneer).

If you don't care about commercials being on the finished DVD, recording straight to DVD using a DVD recorder is easier.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 22
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

Also keep in mind that using a DVD recorder or any method recording from analog outputs there is a significant quality hit as you are going through D->A conversion followed by A->D and re-encoding. Going through PC is longer but avoids D->A or A->D conversions and transcoding is only needed for HD sources.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #6 of 22
    remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007
    Thank you. Great information. As a follow-on, if I record mostly HD movies in best quality, there's probably no way to fit them on a DVD anyway. :( Right?

7. Nov 9, 2007 #7 of 22
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The quality settings are ignored for HD channels.

TTG FAQ #18
    TTG FAQ #19

8. Nov 9, 2007 #8 of 22
    dakk

dakk New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I just installed Tivo series 3 hd ...I already had Tivo series 2dt ......when transferring 30 Rock to computer using TivoDesktop 2.52, the series 3 reads 31 min. 498 MB ......My old series 2dt reads 31min. 853 MB .....the series 3 unit when transferring to TivoDesktop is doing this to all recordings.
    When I run the files thru VideoReDo..their are way to many audio synch errors, than when I load it into DVDStyler 1.5 I get :
    Create VOB files
    Fix MPEG-file: G:\DVD'S\PBS\Ken Burns\Ken Burns American Stories - ''The Congress'' (Recorded Nov 7, 2007, WNET).mpg
    warning: couldn't find any valid system header. I'm continuing anyway
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 00 video 01] [ 0.01%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 07 video 03] [ 5.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 11 video 04] [ 10.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 12 video 05] [ 15.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 14 video 07] [ 20.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 14 video 09] [ 25.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 15 video 10] [ 30.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 10] [ 35.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 10] [ 40.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 11] [ 45.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 11] [ 50.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 55.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 60.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 65.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 70.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 75.00%]
    Erroneous packet size, skipping
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 80.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 85.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 90.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 95.00%]
    DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [100.00%]
    INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
    INFO: [???] File C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
    **ERROR: [???] File unrecogniseable!
    **ERROR: [???] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
    Error executing of command: mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -V -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin \dvd\title0-0-0.vob" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\dvd\title0-0-0-0.mp2"
    Notice how screwed the audio/video synch is
    Is this a hardware problem specific to my series 3 unit?
    Has anyone had a problem like this?
    I have to stop recording on my series 3.....I can't put them on dvd
    Could someone please point me in the right direction
    I have some season series's coming to an end, one or two episodes left, I would hate to lose them, esp. after all the time & effort to get the full series.

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 22
    Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    "in best quality"? The HD Tivo records in the original HD format, whether 1080i or 720p, and most anything > a half-hour show won't fit on a DVD-5, so:

1. If you want to save your movies as DVDs that are playable on most-any SD DVD player your best bet IMO is to use VideoReDo to trim commercials and output as a transport stream. Then convert to DVD-5, or even DVD-9 using HDTV2DVD.

2. If you want instead to archive in HD, I can suggest re-encoding as an Xvid file. Most movies will still fit on a DVD-5 using 1280x720 at 4-5000kbps Xvid. These look very nice; difficult to distinguish from the original (mostly) 1920x1080i.

I use #2, but I also have a (non-Tivo) media player that will play these Xvids directly to my HDTV, with glorious (original) 5.1 Dolby Digital unchanged.

10. dakk

dakk New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Using my 649 Tivo Series 2 dt I have been using Tivo DeskTop to bring files to my computer....run file thru Direct Show Dump....than edit on VideoReDo, now VideoReDo TVSuite.....DVDStyler 1.5.1 to author......ImgBurn to write to disk.....I have done thousands like that & would like to continue doing so....if possible.....Do not want to venture into using hd disks at this time.
    If you have the time can you please walk me thru 'this new process'.............Please bare in mind I am a moron..................Thank you in advance.

11. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Not gonna bare anything dakk! But if you have a Series 2 Tivo (standard-def) then just keep doing what you're doing. The dilemma (what best to do with very large files) only occurs when dealing with HD. Even a 40 minute show exceeds the storage capacity of a DVD-5.

EDIT: OK I see from another thread that you have an S3 now. You'll need to digest the FAQ referenced earlier...

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Why are you using both DirectShow Dump and VideoReDo? VR can work with raw .tivo files just fine.

Also, why if you have VideoReDo TVSuite are you also using DVDStyler + ImgBurn anymore?

13. dakk

dakk New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I am using my Series 2 for most of my files....................But I still need to figure out (for the future) how to take a file recorded by my Series 3 ....bring it to my computer w/Tivo DeskTop,
    so far so good....than what? ....What is the software....and the steps that I have too learn to burn that file to DVD.
    I downloaded HDTV2DVD......but what to I have to do to the file or files, after they are in my My Tivo Recordings folder .....before I can load them it HDTV2DVD.
    Also it seem like it is worth purchasing SVCD2DVD
    Once again Thanks.

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  15. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    TTG is extremely time consuming and is not the best method for transferring recordings to DVDs. Unfortunately, forum rules prohibit the discussion of the best method available so you'll have to look outside this forum for that solution. Keep in mind that in order to use the best method available you'll have to hack your Tivo to disable certain functions and enable others. If you do not have the knowledge to hack your Tivo then TTG is your best option under those conditions.

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
  17. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    You know I would be asking this until yesterday when I had some .tivo that just would not run through VideoRedo. It came from an S3 but was an analog recording. Anyway, I produced an mpg using DSD and that worked with VideoRedo.

I have never had anything such as that happen before on .tivos from S2s, S3s or THDs. Its just funny it happened that one time just yesterday.

It may never happen again to me, but for anyone that hits such a snag with a .tivo in VR, that might help.

18. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I download them from my tivo hd. Run them Thur video redo and burn the mpg files to dvd. That way i can upload them back to the tivo or use them to make hd-dvds in the future.

19. andrews777

andrews777 Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I have been testing out the VideoRedo software and I find that my cable company is changing the frame size in many shows. This chokes up VideoRedo when it encounters the changed frame size, requiring a manual "QuickStream Fix" with a filter to convert the file before removing the commercials. I can automate the QuickStream Fix part, but I seem to have to manually run the "with a filter" part, making this very "me" intensive, something I was trying to avoid.

Otherwise, it seems to be a great program.

Brad

20. remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007
    I'm frustrated with the HD transfers. I have no way to offload from TiVo to DVD. It seems my cable co. - Insight, Columbus, OH - has copy protected ALL HD programming (even beyond HBO, SHO, etc.). HD material from OTA channels seems okay. I've tried transferring using TTG and I've tried copying directly from TiVo to DVR (Save to VCR). Both methods show protected material.

On the other hand I've been trying VideoReDo TV Suite and it is a great program. I will defenitely purchase after the trial.