Aquarius 5/28/2015 (S01E02) "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, May 29, 2015.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I'm torn; several times during the show I found myself watching other stuff on YouTube, and otherwise just ignoring the TV. Though by the end I guess I felt I'd become interested in some of the stuff happening towards the last half of this episode that made me want to see how it turns out.

But in general, I do still feel like there's just nothing in there I care about. And no character I'm invested in seeing survive or prosper or succeed.

So maybe I give it a couple more episodes to see if it finds some decent sort of pace/rhythm.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I became more interested during episode 2.

- The inter-racial marriage.
    - Completely thrown off by Charlie and Dorn's apparent affair / relationship.
    - I could do without the Black Panther sub-plot. I can already see that be fast forward able.

3. Jun 1, 2015 #3 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think the show's growing on me a bit (enough so I watched 2 more On Demand, as much as I hate forced commercials.. more info in the ep 1 thread though -- they have fewer commercials On Demand than most shows)...

But in terms of reality, is ANYTHING we've seen so far true except:
    1) a person named Charles Manson exists, and
    2) a bunch of songs they've played really exist
    ???

e.g. is there any info that Manson is really bi? Not like I care, but that seemed way out of left field.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #4 of 13
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This bored me to tears, but I'll stick with it a bit as it seemed to get a bit better during the second half of E2. I vaguely remember the Manson stuff as I was a little kid but there was enough pop culture references to Manson during the 70s and beyond that I know a little bit about it. But, as asked, is this a relatively true to life account of what Manson was like, or is it so fictionalized that it is not really the Manson story? If it's the former, I'll stick around, if it's the latter, I'll be much less interested.

5. Jun 2, 2015 #5 of 13
    Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri

Advertisements

I'm getting old and crotchety, but I'm not watching a show that is "glorifying" a villain like him, I don't care if it changes from the truth, they are using him to try to get viewers, too much good stuff on to mess with this stupidity imo

6. Jun 2, 2015 #6 of 13
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    They certainly weren't glorifying him. As played, he's pure evil. But if you mean using him as a character to get viewers, I understand what you mean. But does that mean that there should never be a show where an evil character is not the focus? No Sopranos or Breaking Bad? No Boardwalk Empire or Dallas?

7. Jun 2, 2015 #7 of 13
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    So I assume, then, that you'll stop watching any shows that portray criminals? :confused:

8. Jun 2, 2015 #8 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I wouldn't say they're really glorifying him.. (I'm not sure if he's really "pure evil" yet, but he's definitely really creepy.)

Though I guess it's hypocritical since I'm watching this (though I guess I was hoping it would be more fact based -- I asked the same question as someone else just did, but I'm thinking this is VERY VERY fictionalized, and yes I know there's a disclaimer at the beginning of every ep)... but anyway, I haven't watched "Breaking Bad", even as much as people rave about it, largely _because_ it's about a drug dealer. I don't guarantee I'll never check it out, and definitely do watch other shows centered around bad people (though I've never yet bothered to get back to the last ~6 or so eps of Sopranos).. e.g. this one, Hannibal, The Blacklist..

9. Jun 3, 2015 #9 of 13
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess the difference here is that a show like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad where the main character is a bad person, you kind of root for them against the other bad people. In that sense those characters are glorified. In this show, Manson is the obvious evil doer, but you are rooting for Duchovny's character to catch him. The glory is with the detective, not the evil person.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I can't see how this show is glorifying Manson...he's being portrayed as a manipulative sociopath who preys on the innocent, and who needs to be stopped.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Sounds like every other political story these days.

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My wife and I have been slowly working through the series. About halfway through, we are kind of bored. It started off strong and we liked it quite a bit but it felt like the type of show that wants to hedge its bets by drawing things out in case it magically gets renewed.

13. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I really enjoyed this show and will keep watching.