Apple TV Rumor Mill on Fire/this the end of TiVo???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joe3, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    OCT 25-Bloomberg

"Apple’s introduction of the voice-command software Siri and Web-storage service iCloud also could be used for a future television, Munster said in a note to investors yesterday. Siri may help search for videos, while iCloud allows customers to store video, music, pictures and other content on the company’s servers instead of their own hard drives."

Looks like the Apple fork above says TiVo is done?

Looks that way to me.

2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Does it record broadcast/cable/sat content? If the answer is no, then TiVo still has a product to sell.

3. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Com on, This is Apple, why wouldn't it.:D

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Does it give you Tribune guide data and season passes?

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Apple wants to sell you shows and movies from the iTunes store, not help you record them for free.

And since they need a CableCard to record from cable, Apple will never do that. There is no possible way to make a product with a CableCard that is as hassle-free as an Apple product needs to be.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe the same basic article has been posted on this forum for about the last 3 years. Face it, Apple has never succeeded at providing television content. And certainly haven't succeeded at providing media on your tv. What makes people think they will succeed now? Just because the iPhone is pretty great doesn't mean everything they do is a success.

7. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Just what we need....Another "end of TIVO" thread.

8. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Sorry, I don't know how to link to Blomberg.

"One of Apple’s goals for a new TV is to let users more seamlessly search for a show or movie, said one of the people. For example, instead of having to separately check to see if a movie or show is available through Netflix or a cable service, all the material could be integrated, this person said."

"or cable service" it will have to have a cable card, no?

Also, it confirms the Asian manufactures are producing the TV for 2013.

I think this may be it for TiVo. I hope I'm wrong because this would have the 20% Apple logo mark-up.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    It doesn't seem apple has any interest in making a box that will record and store stuff locally.

Peopel have been wishing it for a while. But I don't see it happening. Even with Steve gone.

10. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    If it requires a cable-card, then I hope Apple is sending one of their geniuses to install every unit sold, because otherwise, it'll be DOA.

Also, the quote was about simply searching for cable content, which is not equivalent to recording it.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Not all Apple products have been a seamless setup. I remember when I bought my first iPod Touch. I opened it as soon as I left the store and then realized I had to connect it to iTunes before it provided any functionality.

Apple wants to get into the TV arena and that may mean they need to play nice with the cable companies. They did it with the music industry. They did it with the cell phone industry. They can do it with the cable companies if they really want to.

This is the perfect time to get involved with cable because cable subscriptions are shrinking for the first time in history. The cable companies actually have an incentive to want Apple.

As for the end of Tivo, if Apple did release a product that would do everything a Tivo could do, then Tivo would finally be forced to get off their asses and make their product into something great......or they will simply disappear.

12. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    That defines Google TV... currently selling at 1/3 of its original price (Logitech) or various other deep discounts via Sony.

13. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Try thinking out of box the ala Apple. What do you need to "record" if everything you want to watch is in iCloud for playing on demand? (Getting VoD opens your eyes a little.)

Now, UVerse is capable of streaming 4 channels, HD and/or SD, over a ~12mbs link. Imagine if the Apple TV could stream current content and locals through the cloud.

Now, how much would you pay?

[They could mix in OTA ala a tuner like Elgato, but even that could be a support nightmare with users needing antenna tweaks. ]

14. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    If I could get current premium channel content through vehicles other than Cable/Uverse/Sat I would pay big attention but so far those providers have big handcuffs.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No ware has there been any indication that Apple is interested in building a DVR. They maybe interested in building a "Smart" TV but it likely will be similar to the services offered by the current Apple TV streaming box. Will they be willing to sell you content to store in the cloud shure why not that is where they are going with music. Do they have any interest in building a DVR to record and store content locally? I think not and if so it is a well kept secrete.

At least with Google they did buy a DVR software company so there is some hope that the Google TV line could be expanded to include a DVR, but again nothing has been leaked or even talked about.

My bottom line is it appears until cable cards are replaced with something that actually works and is simple to use no one is going to get into the DVR business.

16. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Rumor has it that Apple wants to deliver Television content in an iTunes pay for use format.

They would have little interest in cable cards or in letting you copy broadcast television - if they are going to get into that market they are going to try to redefine it not work with it.

As much as people have ask for a la cart programming, I wonder if people will really be willing to pay for it.

17. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    hey look another tivo is dead or dying thread :)

(couldnt resist)

18. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    But the ICloud now takes all your songs not just the ones you buy on ITunes. The Bloomberg article today stated that your Hard-Drive would be the ICloud using Apple servers.

Yes, not a local DVR, but a DVR in the ICloud. If this happens can Amazon be that far behind. They have the server capacity as well.

Dead or dying threads have been based on TiVo abandoning the consumer with half backed products. Death by slow suicide.

This would be more like a mercy killing by a good (tech) neighbor from across the street.

19. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    Cable companies wont let cloud DVR's get to popular. They will just lower the caps.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    "Rip. Mix. Burn."

Sound familiar?