Apple to allow 30 day movie rentals for $2.99 on iTunes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mearlus, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I just saw this article. I wonder if this will (hopefully) drive unbox prices down so we can have the movies longer than 24 hours after starting to watch it. What it doesn't say is if it will have the same issue with deleting after 24 hours of starting to watch it like unbox. The fact that it can go onto an iPod would lead me to believe that it doesn't automatically delete after those first 24 hours when you start viewing it.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/11/technology/apple_rentals/index.htm

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I would pay 4.99 a movie rental if I could watch it for 30 days before it deletes.
    the 24 hour window is a major blockage to my use of UNBOX and I only use it now for the 99Cent rentals. I enjoy the ease of watching from the TiVo very much but the 24 hour viewing window does not want me to do many movies that the whole family wants to see

3. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    And I'd pay $4.99 for the movie in HD (even 720p). I'll pay a couple bucks for DVD lite, but not more than that.

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    The 24 hour limit is set by content owners. It's the same everywhere - PPV, Unbox, Vudu, etc. I doubt it'll change anytime soon.

I still don't understand why they didn't have rentals right away.

5. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I'll be interested to see if that is the case w/ the iTunes downloads. I don't know of a mechanism within an iPod to delete after XYZ things have occured. So if you don't sync your iPod, will it just sit on it for 30 days?

We'll have to wait and see what more info comes out about this.

6. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    The ipods may already have this code built in and they just haven't exposed that code yet...so the ipod may simply delete it on it's own.

7. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I thought Mr. Jobs wasn't a fan of renting, just owning? I wonder if a per month subscription for music is on its way???

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm guessing the change is due to the fact that most people do not want to pay dvd prices for digital movies. Music and movies are much different models however. I only want to watch most movies once whereas music I will listen to over and over. This is why Apple can get by over charging for music and not movies.

9. swspain

swspain New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I'm really hoping this happens. I have an AppleTV, which would be perfect for this.

10. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't think movie rentals is a "change" in philosophy at all. Jobs has never said people want to own their video content. He said that about music, not video.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Make it HD! (720p is fine.)

12. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    This will certainly drive sales for AppleTV.

13. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I agree that they require different strategies, just a little surprised that the simplistic "click to buy" on everything will now be accompanied by a "click to rent". I am a huge itunes fan, but if I could pay 15 a month and get whatever I wanted to listen to downloaded and on my ipod(s) I would make out on the deal. I don't really need to "own" that song, as long as I can listen to it when I want, where I want, wherever my comp or pod is. But leaving an ipod for a different mp3 device is not an option, so I will stay content buying digital content! (lame word usage)

14. Fassade

Fassade New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Some details from the Macworld keynote, as reported on Macword's blog:

Studios on board: Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, New Line, Lions Gate, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal, and Sony. (Only rentals mentioned, not sales.)

Cost/terms: $2.99 library title, $3.99 new releases. ($1 more if you rent the HD version, though no word on resolution), 30 days to watch, must watch in 24 hours once started. TV Shows will be $1.99 per episode, though I am not sure if that was rental or sales. You can transfer programs from one device to another.

They also announced an Apple TV 2 with a different interface.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The iTunes terms are pretty much exactly the same as the Unbox terms.

16. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    maybe if we ask in lolcat speak
    I can have content, no 1 day plz :p

17. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    Apple TV price drops from $299 to $229 with a free software upgrade for everyone. PC also not required and you can rent movies off the Apple TV in HD. I assume Amazon will follow with similar content?

18. ADGrant

ADGrant New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Unbox doesn't provide HD so I don't use Unbox.

19. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    How many HD movies can you store on a 40 GB harddrive?

20. Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle WA
    He's not a fan of renting music but has felt that renting movies is logical and I agree. His logic is that you tend to listen to music over and over but movies are generally watched once -- maybe twice after many years. This is mostly true for me despite having a large collection. The only place I would disagree is with children films. My kids can watch the same movie every day of the week. :rolleyes: