Apple Airport

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cherylzyx, May 6, 2004.

1. May 6, 2004 #1 of 19
    cherylzyx

cherylzyx happy to be here :)

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Before anyone gets upset with me, let me just say I have TRIED to find an answer on my own but I'm just getting more confused. I have a TiVo series 2 that I have been using for 4 months. I've decided to get rid of my home phone and get cable internet. I have an iBook with an Airport.

I know nothing, and I mean nothing about all of this tech stuff. Well, that's not true exactly - I do know what a USB port looks like, but that is pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Reading all of these posts about setting up a home network and configuring the IP DHSC, LMNOP settings is confusing me.

Can anyone tell me please, in 4th grade English, how I can get TiVo to use my Apple Airport with cable internet to do its updates?

Right now I am using dial-up internet and my cable company assured me I can use the Airport with their cable connection to connect to the internet with my iBook. Surely it can't be that hard to also get TiVo to talk to the Airport and share that connection.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

2. May 6, 2004 #2 of 19
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    You need to get one of the supported wireless USB adapters found at http://www.tivo.com/adapters

Which Airport Base Station do you have? The original gray one or the later white ones. If you have a white one, do you know which one you have (there's one with a modem built-in and one without).

Do you know if you have any security features enabled on your Airport Base Station?

3. May 7, 2004 #3 of 19
    jlb.x

jlb.x Active Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    For a second there, I actually thought that there might have been some new acronyms out there that I hadn't yet heard... :p

Seriously though, you should probably start with the step-by-step instructions that Tivo itself has written (for example). It's not at all difficult to do. If you run in to problems, then you definitely want to come back here for help.

4. May 7, 2004 #4 of 19
    cherylzyx

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Which Airport Base Station do you have?
    The original gray one

Do you know if you have any security features enabled on your Airport Base Station?
    ummm, not that I'm aware of

You need to get one of the supported wireless USB adapters found at...(not allowed to post links yet)
    I've seen a picture of those stick-like things. Can I just plug it into my TiVo and my Airport will know what to do with it? Or, is there another piece of equipment that has to go between the adapter and the Airport?

Thanks much guys for your kind support....:)

5. May 7, 2004 #5 of 19
    cherylzyx

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Seriously though, you should probably start with the step-by-step instructions that Tivo itself has written (for example). It's not at all difficult to do. If you run in to problems, then you definitely want to come back here for help.
    I read that but I got confused when I saw that there are 2 devices between the adapter plugged into the TiVo and the computer. Does my Airport perform the function of both of those or is there something else I need?

For a second there, I actually thought that there might have been some new acronyms out there that I hadn't yet heard... :p
    glad I amused you...;)

6. May 7, 2004 #6 of 19
    mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Yes the Airport performs the function of the router.

You will need to have the cable modem (usually provided by the cable company) connected to the Airport. On the TiVo side you will need to plug the wireless USB adapter into one of the USB ports.

If your setup on the Mac is normal and you have not changed any settings then the TiVo is likely to recognize the adapter and start you through the wireless configuration screens.

mds

7. May 8, 2004 #7 of 19
    csyria

csyria New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    CAn you tell us what version of the TiVo OS you have?

To do so:

Go to TiVo Central --> Messages and Setup --> System Information and give us the Software Version

All of the base stations can act as a SA router? I thought they could only serve up certain systems/OS that had the software

8. May 8, 2004 #8 of 19
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    All of the Apple Airport Base Stations are a Wireless Access Point -- there's not really a multi-port router. The original graphite model only had a single ethernet port. The later snow (white) versions have a WAN port as well as a LAN port (two ethernet ports)

One advantage some have is that they include a dial-up modem which is useful when your broadband access occassionally goes out.

The Airport Base Station will work with any wireless client. The issue to which you refer is that the software included in the box to configure it is only Macintosh based -- although I believe there is a Java-based configuration utility that someone made.

9. cherylzyx

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out of town. OK, Csyria asked what version of the software I have, it is 4.0.1b-01-2-240

What I need from you guys is a specific list of what exactly I need to buy, brand, model numbers, etc and step by step instructions on how to make it work.

I will have the cable people come out and set up the internet to work with my Airport. I need to know how to get my TiVo to work with the Airport.

I really appreciate the help y'all've (southern for 'you all have' ) provided. Thanks! :)

10. csyria

csyria New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Well, that's good because not all versions support all wireless adapters.

It looks like TiVo sugests you use the Linksys Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter, and from them its 65 bucks. I would go with this one unless you know of someone who knows of one that DEFINITELY works.

I'm not quite sure how it integrates into the network after that, or the setup involved

11. jabellar

jabellar New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    This is the closest thread I found relating to my question/issue, so I hope someone can help.

I am helping connect my brother's TIVO to his Mac/Apple Airport base station. I have a good idea on what to do, I already have a linsys USB wireless connector ready to go, but my question is: His Airport currently requires a password to connect - will this work on TIVO?

Thanks for any assistance!

12. csyria

csyria New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    You need to get the hex password out of the Airport admin program. The nice password won't work IIRC.

13. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    The hex password can be found after you "open" the airport using the airport admin utility. There's a toolbar icon that looks like a padlock (and it's labeled "password")

14. JediJoker7169

JediJoker7169 New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Could I connect to TiVo on my network via a USB to ethernet adapter, connected via ethernet to an AirPort Express? Or would I even need the USB to ethernet? Could it work via simply a USB cable? I would test it out, but our two Expresses are on the fritz, and may need repair or replacement.

15. csyria

csyria New Member

Jan 24, 2004
  16. JediJoker7169

JediJoker7169 New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Can anyone find one online? I've been looking, but I'm no boolean king. And would it be easier to just go with TiVo's wireless adapter or a supported one?

17. balboze

balboze New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    try on the site for froogle (google's baby). :rolleyes:
    it will take you to multiple 'stores" and you can comparison shop. That's the extent of my knowledge!!

On the other hand I have a question of my own. We have multiple Macs at home, some desktops and some laptops. All use a wireless Internet connection via Airport Extreme (white one). We have cable for tv. I do not want to connect TiVo via phone line, and I have seen the previous postings regarding that particular question.
    I have been to the TiVo store and have thinking about getting the
    TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter ( it is Out of stock for now). The guys at TiVo say that TiVo is not Mac compatible, they do not know if the adapter would work and if it does that the only thing we'll be able to do is watch on the TV. Nothing downloadable to laptops etc..etc..
    when I voiced my dismay I was told that I could return the unit or sell it on..EBay!! :confused: cheech...
    Anyway, I hope some of the Mackies out there have answers for me! Thanks!

18. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    What I have done is not the cheapest way to go, but gives me several nice options. My desktop (actually tower) Mac connects via wire to an Airport Extreme wireless router. Several rooms away, I have an Airport Express in my Home Theater center wired to:
    a) the tape inputs of my stereo receiver (also to an optical port mapped to Tape) and
    b) my Tivo via a USB Ethernet connector.

This setup allows me to do several things:
    1) Use my main computer as a music server adjunct to my stereo (my whole CD collection has been ripped to iTunes)
    2) Have a Tivo wireless link and not need to worry about setting up password security on the Tivo (via Apple's utilities, I have set up WPA2 with AES encryption)
    3) Have a strong wireless connection for any laptop in that part of the house.

Note that the newest release of iTunes (6.0.2) now allows synchronized transmission to multiple nodes.

19. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    With luck, you'll get a knowledgeable cable modem guy who will get you set up for the Internet without any hassles. Then it really is a fairly simple matter, physically, of connecting the cable modem to the Airport unit with a cable (we have an Airport Express) and plugging in the wireless adapter to the TiVo (you absolutely want to get one that has been certified to work by TiVo). (Now, if they are physically close together you could run a wire between the two and skip the wireless entirely.)

In any event, once things are physically set up, you will likely need to give the TiVo your network's password. Here's a thread where I posted what worked for us... http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=195207&highlight=airport+express

Good luck with it and post back when after the cable guy has left... and things aren't working right!