Apparently dead Mini -- no video, no boot?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by pj1983, Feb 7, 2017.

1. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa

Advertisements

Greetings,

I picked up a Mini that was described as having a dead HDMI port. Plugged it in via HDMI, sure enough, there was no video, not even the TiVo startup screen. Next stop was a component connection using component cables borrowed from another Mini using a component connection -- no video from that connection either.

I also cycled through the unit's resolution settings using the button on the bottom when connected via both HDMI and component (TiVo Mini failure). No luck there.

My next step was to compare this unit's observed boot behavior with a known working Mini. This observation revealed that the dead unit's front LED remained at a steady white/pink color, as compared to the working unit's LED which started out white, then blinked reddish as the unit booted up.

The dead unit isn't connecting to my ethernet network (no link light) or else I'd try the connection method suggested here -- Tivo Mini has YELLOW light on front

It appears that the unit has been bricked somehow, perhaps either by a recent update before I purchased it (Dec 2016 update maybe bricked my minis?) or some other cause (Mini in Boot Loop?!? Recommendations).

Any suggestions? Has anyone physically cracked open a Mini to troubleshoot? Thanks!

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    No moving parts inside, try using the power supply from another Mini

fcfc2 likes this.
  3. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Life got in the way of diagnosing this dead Mini...tried three different power supplies borrowed from other Minis, no luck. At least it makes a decent paperweight. :(

4. Sywlgee

Sywlgee New Member

May 8, 2017
    Hey @pj1983 Have you tried connecting the mini into a different TV?

5. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa

Advertisements

Yes -- three different TVs using both HDMI and component -- same result. :(

6. TiVoSupport_Ivory

TiVoSupport_Ivory New Member

May 4, 2017
    Hi pj1983! It seems that you have already exhausted all the possible troubleshooting steps to fix this issue on your TiVo Mini. You can contact our Phone Support at 877-367-8486 to exchange your TiVo Mini. Just let the representative know all the troubleshooting steps you've done already.

Mikeguy, JoeKustra and Sywlgee like this.
  7. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Thank you for the information. I'm not the original owner nor is this Mini currently in my account, since I wanted to verify it worked before adding it -- would I still be able to exchange the unit? I also need to call regarding a dead Bolt, so I'll ask about the Mini at the same time.

8. bobdec01

bobdec01 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    When one of my 2 year old mini's went dead (no boot) I called support and they offered a refurbished mini exchange for $80.00, but unlike yours, it was on my account. So far the replacement is still running..

9. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Yeah they offered me a replacement for $80 on mine too. I haven't decided to pull the trigger on it yet as I'm waiting to see if they announce any refreshes or new hardware this year.