App launch speed on Bolt vs ROKU 3 ....

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by I_am_not_randy, Jan 9, 2017.

1. I_am_not_randy

I_am_not_randy Member

Oct 29, 2010

Advertisements

I have a TIVO premiere, and a ROKU3. I know the premere is very old at this point, however its launch speed for netflix is insanely slow (like over a minute). It is also very sluggish when I use it. When I got the ROKU, I dont think I ever used netflix on the TIVO again.

Once I got the ROKU, I also started using amazon prime, and HBO go, and you tube a lot.

How are the launch speeds and overall responsiveness of these four critical apps (netflix, HBO GO, youtube , and amazon prime) on a TIVO BOLT relative to a ROKU3 ?

2. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Netflix on TiVo Bolt has "instant" start like Roku 3 (actually 3-5 seconds). Using a stopwatch I timed some other app starts on my Bolt. HBO Go took 13 seconds, YouTube 14 and Amazon 10. The start up speed may vary on any device as the speed on your connection to the provider's servers varies, but probably not by much.

My Roku 3 isn't handy right now but I timed start up of the same apps on Roku Premiere+. YouTube took 7 seconds (supposedly "instant" like Netflix), HBO Go took 6.5 and Amazon took 6. I timed YT a few times with consistent results; it doesn't start any faster than the others.

The time it takes to start apps on either of those platforms isn't long enough to annoy me; YMMV :).

Just FYI, Netflix really does start instantly on my TV and Fire TV Stick; maybe not a whole second on either.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I find it ironic that one of the big proponents of Net Neutrality appears to be benefiting from a lack of App Neutrality.

4. huskerchad

huskerchad New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I find my Bolt slightly slower to load things like Netflix, but this is balanced by the fact that I am often navigating to a show directly (say from My Shows), so the overall time-to-video is reduced.

Once launched, the app experience is essentially the same as Roku.

My old TivoHD was essentially unusable for this purpose by comparison.

5. I_am_not_randy

I_am_not_randy Member

Oct 29, 2010

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys. Measuring the launch times with a stopwatch is really appreciated (something I could see myself doing). And knowing that the app experience is essentially the same is what is probably most important thing because thats where you are spending most of the time. I just know on the premere that launch time AND app responsiveness were both awful.

I would be buying the bolt pretty much ONLY for the its ability to list all my shows accross all providers in one "now playing" list. My TIVO watching of programs on a the hard drive is much reduced now. Since I have a responsive ROKU and netfliw/HBO/Amazon contain most of the content I watch, the TIVO is used for mostly network shows, BUT I hate having to look at all those different services to even decide what I Want to watch. Better if it is in one list.

6. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I'm sorry--how does Netflix "instant start" have anything to do with net neutrality? The feature involves leaving all of Netflix in memory when you exit so that it doesn't have to download the UI code and art assets from the network the next time you start it.

Netflix is a hypocrite about net neutrality. All of the major ISPs have given them essentially private doorways into their WANs to improve Netflix's service. Seems like pretty special treatment to me. Of course, network where they have that set up are improved since other traffic doesn't have to compete with Netflix streams through their normal portals.