Anyway to x-fer shows in a different house?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Replacement, May 28, 2014.

1. Replacement

Replacement New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

I have 2 houses and wanted to x-fer shows between them. Is there anyway to do that? One is a OLED Series 3 and the other is a Romeo and maybe a Premiere.

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Easiest is to physically move a TiVo back and forth. Electronically, the easiest is to transfer to a PC, move the show to a PC at the other house, and transfer back (assuming the TiVos are on the same account).

At one time, if you were a network expert, it was rumored you could set up a VPN and make the two houses appear to be on the same local network and be able to transfer, but it's been many years since then, and TiVo has new security procedures.

3. Replacement

Replacement New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am going to try this with a shared dropbox folder...

4. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    How fast is your internet upload speed? For many households this would be a slow process.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

How far apart are these houses?

Same block?

Same ZIP Code?

Same Media Market?

Same state?

6. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I use kmttg to download to a computer in house 1 as a .tivo file. Then transfer that to a USB hard drive. Move the hard drive to a computer in house 2 with TiVo Desktop Server running. Go to TiVo in house 2 and start the transfer.

Everything has to have the same Media Key or it get slightly trickier.

7. Replacement

Replacement New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Different zip code, about 15 mins away.

8. Replacement

Replacement New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    One of the places is
    Download Speed: 56954 kbps
    Upload Speed: 11241 kbps
    :up:

The other is
    Download Speed: 3546 kbps
    Upload Speed: 671 kbps
    :thumbsdown:

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The average cable show is encoded at 12-15Mbps. So even your fast one would be slower then real time, and the slow one would take a LONG time to transfer even one show.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Only *VERY* slightly trickier..

1) turn on the decode option in kmttg
    I have no idea if Tivo Desktop server supports raw MPEG files.. if so, problem already solved.. if NOT..
    2) use pytivo to get them back to your tivo

I used a graphical front end to pytivo for a long time, but finally just started using the CLI tool.. it's actually fairly easy to set up, and the configuration can then be done in a web browser.

11. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    So you would have to reduce the number of bits, or have a good amount of patience.

The limiting factor is the 3.5Mb/s down btw. Vs the 12-15Mb/s of the content, you're talking about 4-5 hours for each hour of HD content transferred over the net.

Dropbox has a few novel techniques that increases the upload speeds, but I don't think they'll be triggered for this scenario. The only trick that might speed it up is if you send a laptop back and forth between the two locations.

Here's a few other ways:
    1) Only record + transfer the SD version.
    2) Have a PC transcode. (pytivo or kmttg)
    3) Hardware transcode
    -a) Tivo Stream, only plays back on IOS
    -b) replayTV, volkano etc...

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    or eat up the datacap.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I keep hoping my GF will upgrade her DSL to FiOS just so I can setup a VPN to try connecting a TiVo to my home network. But at this point it seems like a lost cause. It seems like the only way she will switch to FiOS is if Verizon forces her too. So now I'm hopeful that Verizon will start forcing people in her area to switch at some point.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm thinking that copying via PC to a USB hard drive at one house and then sneakernetting the drive to the other house and another PC and copying it to TiVo from that PC may be faster than trying to send it over the internet.

You can start watching right after the second TiVo starts copying.

Both TiVos will have to be on the same account and have the same MAK, though.

15. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    They're not for the feint of heart, those with low speeds, or low data caps - but MRV/MRS across site to site VPNs still works just fine...

16. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Thanks for the info - I hadn't seen it mentioned in quite a while so didn't know if it was still possible.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not sure what sneakernetting is, but physically bringing the USb drive works perfectly fine. i used to do it years ago at my GFs house. I would transfer the TiVo shows to a USB hard drive and take it to her house. Then I would connect it to a PC at her house running TiVo Desktop so it could then be transferred to her TiVos(which she still hasn't put in her own name).

But she has the Series 3 boxes which have very slow transfer rates. So that didn't last long. So I just started bringing a Premiere with me, with the shows on it so I wouldn't need to do transfers very often.

And now with the Roamio Baisc, which is even smaller, it makes it even easier to bring the Tivo with me. For certain things I will still have her transfer them to her tivos, but most of the time we either directly watch them from the Basic I bring over, or I burn them to disc for her using a TiVo Mini and a stand alone DVD burner.

18. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Sneakernet is almost exactly the same protocol as ethernet, except instead of encapsulating the data in packets and moving them over wires, you encapsulate your feet in sneakers, and move the data over sidewalks and roads (in a USB drive normally.) Hmmm, upon reflection, perhaps it's not exactly the same protocol....;)

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Of course sneakernet originally utilized floppy disks.

But like the man said, never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of backup tapes barreling down the highway.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It would be pretty zippy if the house uploading had something like the 75/35 FIOS package, and the downloading house at 40mbps on the download. Of course then the bitrates on the content would be higher as well, but even 14-18mbps content would be running over 2x realtime, so if you selected something, you could start watching it almost immediately, and you should be able to FF through by the first commercial break for most shows...

Not the most efficient thing in the world to be VPN'ing MPEG-2 content around, but it would work...