Anyway to use a DriecTv TIVO w/o DTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mmoegerle, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mmoegerle

mmoegerle New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    This may be a rather crazy question to ask, but here goes. Can a Series 2 DTV Tivo be attached to anything other than a DirecTV receiver? The reason I ask, is a friend passed along a DTV unit to me, but I don't have DTV. Can I configure/reconfigure it to work with regular cable service?

Thanks,
    Marc

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    No, it can only receive signals from DirecTV

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Guess it's that time of the week for this tired and repeated endlessly question to raise its head again. But then again, what newbie to this forum responds to the answers they get to a question, anyway?

4. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Sparta, NJ
    If I had a quarter for every time this question was asked on here............

Anyway it's sad to see people just give a DTivo away like it's junk, they just don't realize what the box is capable of. :thumbsdown:

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd like a quarter from each one post wonder. :)

Darn, no quarter this time. :p

6. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Yes, you can use it as a doorstop or paperweight!

7. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I had one for a long time when I was a DTV customer. I had expanded it to over 100 hours.

When I finally decided to ditch DTV and go with an S3 and cable, I cleared it out and setup season passes for all sorts of cartoons on Nick, Disney, etc. Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents, etc. I let that run for a few weeks. Then I canceled DTV service.

Now I have that unit hooked up to a little TV in the bedroom my 6 year-old uses when he visits his grandmother. He's got basically a huge VOD library of cartoons.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No, because that unit IS the DirecTV receiver.

9. nonamesleft

nonamesleft New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    The dtivo's do not have tuners or other input circuitry that will work with anything other than directv. So there is no way that you will get it working with cable like a standalone tivo. It's only good for use with directv or for parts.

Also directv will not let you open a new account with used equipment. You'd have to open an account with new equipment first, before you can add used receivers. And they still won't add the receiver if it still shows as active on a previous account or if the previous account has a balance owing. Lastly, unless you jump through hoops & argue, they will put it onto the account as a leased receiver. Meaning that they will want to keep it if you ever close the account. If you aren't going to use it & want to sell it, send me a private message with the model number.

10. mmoegerle

mmoegerle New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I had assumed that it wasn't possible or rather difficult to accomplish, but I didn't know for sure, so I needed to ask.

Thanks,

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Congratulations on coming back and responding. I am amazed. Thank you.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    A Directv/Tivo unit WILL ONLY work with Directv Service.

This question gets asked time and time again.

You cannot use this unit with anything but Directv.

Also, A Directv/Tivo unit does not get attached to a Directv receiver. It is an all in one Receiver and DVR unit in one. Just letting the Op know :D

If you do not have Directv service, you have Three Options:

1. Sell the Unit on EBay.

2. Use it as a Door Stop etc.

3 Get Directv Service.