Anyway to eliminate 'HDTV Programs' as a group?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by daavo, Feb 27, 2007.

1. daavo

daavo New Member

Feb 21, 2007

Advertisements

As you all know the S3 has can sort the now playing list by groups. I noticed that there is a folder for 'HDTV recordings' as a group. I don't want that folder- it is repetitive of all my other groups and the now playing list list in general -anyway to delete the folder (not its contents just the folder as a group)?

2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    The only way is to turn groups off. It will still leave a deleted file folder.

3. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    When I first got the Series 3 (ordered it day 1), and saw the folder I thought "cool! it tells me where all my HD stuff is" but I have yet to actually go into that folder. I just don't see the need for it, as I just watch what program I want to watch, if its in HD its a bonus, if its not, no biggy.

4. arno

arno New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    nyc
    Not sure if it's a bug but the HD folder does *not* contain all recorded HD
    content. Whenever I record something on the PBS HD channel it doesnt appear
    in the HD folder, even though it's a 1080i recording.

a'

5. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA

Advertisements

You might call it a bug, or a poor design, I'm not sure, but as has been discussed here before, it is because the TiVo is relying on the program description to determine whether or not it is HDTV or not. So, if you have something that IS HD and it is NOT in the folder, check out the INFO on the program and you will see that it does not say HDTV.

6. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    ...in other words, it's a bug in the guide data that's at the source (where TiVo gets it). Either that or it's not actually HD but upscaled SD on an HD channel (someone's being honest in that case, then?).

7. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    What determines where in the list the HD folder shows up, if it's sorted by date recorded? It seems like sometimes it is above the most recent HD recording, and sometimes it is below it (if I'm remembering correctly). Is there any logic to where it shows up?

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It should always be sorted by date recorded in that folder just like the master list. If it's not, then.....well.....I don't know.... :rolleyes:

9. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    That's is the way that sorting algorithms work... if the info that you're sorting by is different for each item, then the order should be predictable. In a case where the info (say, a timestamp) is exactly the same between two of them, then the order among those items is unpredictable.

10. arno

arno New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    nyc
    Poor design. It's trivial to write code that will satisfy all possible
    permutations. Instead of just keying on "HD" a simple search for
    HD *or* 1080 *or* 720 would put a quick end this annoyance, as
    minor as it is. It's so basic that their programmers should be ashamed
    of such an oversight.

a'

11. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    Yeah, better a mistake in one direction than one in another...

</sarcasm>

12. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Well the thing is, there are still SD programs being broadcast on 720p and 1080i stations that have sidebars added to them to keep the HD size. The program info shows that actual received picture. So say you are recording Scrubs on NBC-HD. This is not a HD program but will show up as 1080 or 720 (I forget which NBC uses) so using your method would the recorded show would end up in the HD folder where it does not belong.

Basically it comes down to take your pick: 6 of one, or half dozen of the other.

13. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    My L-rd! NO!!! I think I must misunderstand your post. The vast majority of my programming is 4:3 SD that is broadcast in 1080i or 720p with black sidebars. Outside of primetime, ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, My Network, and NBC broadcast 4:3 SD with black sidebars at either 1080i or 720p [which may be pointless (anyone?)] and these programs should not appear in the HD folder. Keying off of "HD" in the program description may cause false negatives, but keying off of "1080i" or "720p" would cause vastly more false positives.

Over the past few months, the number of shows that are broadcast in HD, but don't have the "HD" label has decreased significantly. NHL Hockey on NBC for example. :) Does TiVo react to reports of such errors?

14. daavo

daavo New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    I asked the question because I don't see the need for a folder to point out which recordings are HD as a separate category. I want to watch what i want to watch on my playing list whether or not its HD. Thus the category takes up space. I want it out.

15. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    Sorry, I kinda like the HD recordings folder. I would ratheer have it at the top or bottom of the list, not as alphabetical with the other folders.

It helps me plan on which shows to watch first, since the HD ones take up the most room.

16. arno

arno New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    nyc
    the sidebar shows never say 1080/720/hd in the program description. the PBSHD
    channel, which for as long as it's been broadcasting has never shown any SD
    content, lists 1080i in the program description, yet is never placed in the HD
    folder.

a'

17. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Your first sentence is simply not true. Those shows usually say 1080i or 720p, but never HD.

Perhaps the difference is with cable vs. over-the-air, which is my program source. OTA, the networks broadcast in a fixed format (720p or 1080i) all day long, whether the source content is 4:3 SD or 16:9 HD. Accordingly, the program descriptions always indicate 1080i or 720p. At least for OTA, those numbers do not indicate HD content.

PBS's flagship station, 13-1, WNETDT1, is the only station I receive that broadcasts only 16:9 HD content 24/7. They use 1080i.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They need an SD folder. 95% of what I watch is HD so an SD folder would be of more use to me. They just need to have an option to turn it on or off.

19. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    On my cable system, they ALWAYS say 1080/720 if recorded off of a high-def channel, although they don't say HD if they have sidebars.

As far as your PBS thing, sounds like the program guide data is not complete, might need to contact either your local PBS or tribune media (the supplier of TiVo's guide data).

20. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is really the trick, as some want it, and others don't. But how far will TiVo go to let us customize our interface? As a geekmeister, I'd be happy with a setting for everything. Others (my MIL comes to mind) have never been beyond the "Now Playing" screen. Somewhere in between lies UI nirvana.