Anything to help read the recording titles from across the room ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RandyDtg, Nov 15, 2006.

1. RandyDtg

RandyDtg Member

Apr 16, 2005

Advertisements

Has anyone found something to help read the two recording titles on the front panel from across the room ? Its a great feature, especially when the tv is not running. But I'd like to be able to read the titles from 15 feet away. I tried a bar magnifier, nope, no chance. Maybe I'll get a monocular for my TV seat.....

BTW I really love my 750 gig TiVo S3, second best thing I ever got, my S2 was the first!!

Although, I can't imagine scrolling thru hundreds of recorded shows......

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    glasses?

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Superman?

4. Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    Hmm...

Attached Files:

5. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

even the clock is a little tough. much easier to read the clock on the SA8300.

6. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
  7. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Yeah your right! Wow. I remember that now. Well, that decides it I guess I'll return my S3 now despite all the other things such as reliable recording, better pq on all types of display, easier program search. What was I thinking buying this thing! :rolleyes:

Please see signature. ;)

8. ehardman

ehardman Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Kansas
    Almost had me!

9. RandyDtg

RandyDtg Member

Apr 16, 2005
    I tried the binoculars, that doesnt work. I also tried attaching a bar magnet (one for reading), nope that didnt work. If I could put my TiVo S3 up higher, that might, but the HDTV is too big, I have to keep the TiVo under it. This is not a complaint, although this is a funny string..
    Man o Man, I love my TiVo, the people so worried over costs, TiVo saves me TIME, and is a pleasure, and dependable. I had to use the HD SA(monster) for almost a year. Cant tell you how many times I had to flip over to my TiVo S2 to get a better program description.

Oh well, this may sound minor, but when I'm watching a recording, I'll still have to get up or lean way forward when my curiousty about what its recording gets to me (I know, I could pause and go to now playing...) If I could figure out how to get the display to stay brite longer, that would help....

Could be my failed LASIK, which really dammaged my dominant eye, but thats another story...

Thanks for your comments.

10. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you press the info button on your remote, the OLED will light up, thus making it easier to read what's recording (not to mention the clock).

11. Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    Of course, if you press the info button on the remote, it's also a little easier to see the clock that shows up on the screen. :D

12. JohnBrowning

JohnBrowning Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    The OLED is really a wasted "feature". I can't see it either. Perhaps a piece of black electrical tape is the right answer!!

13. ruc2827

ruc2827 New Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Under Messages & Settings > Settings > Displays > Displays on the Front of the DVR > Clock, change the setting to Bright (note this is for all information displayed on the front of the DVR, not just the clock).

Once this is set, clicking Info on the remote will change the OLED display to bright settings allowing you to see it more easily.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And you win the award for being the third person to post this info, in a thread that only has 13 entries! :D :confused:

15. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    How about setting up a webcam pointed at the S3 front panel display, and have it streamed to your cell phone?

16. Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    now that is ingenuity ;)

Mine sits in a closet, but I do occasionally walk by and sneak a peak.

17. ruc2827

ruc2827 New Member

Apr 6, 2002
    You missed the point, which is that pressing Info in and of itself isn't the optimal solution to the stated problem. Instead, you first have to change the brightness setting (which isn't that intuitive since it is called the "clock brightness") then press Info.

18. Fletcher13

Fletcher13 New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Yes, when you're making that setting change, it says right there, "Note: The display will automatically dim when inactive. Pressing the INFO button will temporarily activate the display."

Does anyone know how to disable the "feature" of it dimming when inactive? I want the front panel display to be at its bright setting 24/7.

19. ruc2827

ruc2827 New Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Even better would be to have the option for it to be bright during the day and dim late at night, which is what the the Pioneer Series2 does.

20. JohnBrowning

JohnBrowning Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    That's correct. And it does nothing to help my 50 year old eyes! It ain't about brightness, for me at least. The characters are simply too small!