1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watching Castaways?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jlb, Aug 14, 2018.

1. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    My love for Survivor and Lost was enough to get me to watch the premiere. I'll give this a shot and see where it goes.

Watch Castaways TV Show - ABC.com

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yup, I'm watching. I also watch Survivor, Naked and Afraid, Alone, etc. First episode was good enough to make me look forward to ep2 tonight.

Not knowing how long until rescue makes it more difficult.

Having seen just one episode, it's difficult to predict what the focus of each episode will be. Is one person going to tap out each episode? How many groups will we end up with?

3. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    The first episode was more interesting than I thought it would be. OnePass stays, for now.

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Never saw a single promotion ahead of time for this show & just happened to see it in the guide coming up that night so we checked it out. We liked it. Showing their backstory footage and mixing up the bags is interesting.

5. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm in for now. The only thing I didn't like was concentrating on that guy's eating disorder. Not the place for that. Liked the way he swam over to the next island. :up:

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Missed this completely. I might have given it a look. What differentiates this from Survivor? Are they just left to their own devices and there's no game show element to it?

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    No voting people out. No competitions. They either tap out or last until rescue, and nobody knows when that is. All individuals are stranded alone on various islands, but there may be more than one on an island.

Some have shelters, others find various stuff. Each had a pack with some gear, but looks like they ended up landing near someone else's.

Think more like Alone or Naked and Afraid.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    So far thats what it seems like after watching the first episode.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Watched the first episode.. I thought it was somewhat boring. Closer to "not naked and afraid", though it looked like it would be closer to Survivor.....

10. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    Just watched the second episode. Is this supposed to be real people or all made up? Some of the stuff they tell about their past... I'll give it one more.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Watched the 2nd episode too. There is way too much time spent on backstories[1]. I think I'll start FFWDing through Castaway backstories... should make it a half hour show? Not much time spent on survival activities. I'll watch E3, but I hope it picks up a bit.

[1]American Ninja Warrior has the same problem.

12. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I tolerated the back stories in the first episode, assuming it's just to introduce us to the 'castaways'. But the second episode is making it look like snippets of their home life is going to be ongoing. I see very little of their supposed "challenge to survive", but a whole lot of "Do you have an hour? Let me tell you about my issues". I'm really not interested in their tales of woe. Not sure I'm in this for the long haul.

LlamaLarry and stellie93 like this.
  13. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I’m not watching, but I thought that was the gimmick. Lost style flashbacks of the contestants’ lives.

ABC Orders 'Lost'-esque Reality Show, 'Castaways'

14. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    If so, then "meh". All I knew of the show was how ABC described it on their website (quoted in the first post).

15. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    Lets not mention Lost and this show in the same breath. :(

16. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I recorded the first episode and after about 15 minutes got bored and deleted it, just cannot get into shows that appear to show someone struggling to survive all alone when it is obvious they are all surrounded by a film crew. lol

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's funny.. I actually got into the second episode more, though like with most reality shows, I watched it in QuickMode. I still wouldn't care much if it were cancelled, but despite being editing/"making stories", having the woman come back to the giant dude at the end was entertaining.

I do wish they gave more info about how long they've been there when each section is happening.. that's why I mentioned the editing above.. it seemed like they jumped around in time a lot between different people.

18. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    What's up with all the food caches everywhere and how are they drinking? We've seen very little in the way of actually surviving and mostly vignettes of their motivations for why they decided to go. Kenzi found some awesome place after she bailed on Robbie, but they didn't show it or explain why she came back. I suspect she came back because production encouraged her to and I'll believe this paradise she found with food/water/shelter when she bothers to ask Robbie if he wants to switch to it.

19. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    They aren't food caches, AFAIK. They're food that a *few* of the people put in their luggage.. People have found each others' luggage.. and I think only a _few_ of them put tons of food in there.

I too wondered about the water, though.

20. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    They've also been finding some food at the various shelters they locate. They've shown canned sardines, fruits, and they mentioned a bag of rice.

mattack likes this.