Anyone watch the last episodes of "The Nine"?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by laststarfighter, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1 of 15
    laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

After reading about Journeyman's early demise (allegedly) I remembered that I never found out what was the "big secret" in "The Nine." Anyone see the last few episodes that abc.com aired online? Did they reveal what was the big awful thing that happened in the bank heist that they took like 10 episodes jerking us around?

2. Dec 3, 2007 #2 of 15
    danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    i didnt know they aired those online! Wow. I need to see those.

3. Dec 3, 2007 #3 of 15
    EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    I could be wrong, as this was a long time ago now, but wasn't the Big Secret the fact...
    ...that the bank manager's teenage daughter's cellphone faux pas is what got some people killed at the start of the seige?

4. Dec 3, 2007 #4 of 15
    Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Major spoiler

Malcolm the bank manager was an inside man, working with and planning with the robbers. In the last episode he is seen walking into a police station to turn himself in. Other then that it was just a normal heist. All the mystery was just peoples reactions to the stress of the robbery.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #5 of 15
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

They all died during the bank robbery and were in purgatory.

Rosebud.

6. Dec 3, 2007 #6 of 15
    boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    Its been a while for me too, I thought the big shocker (overhyped) was:
    the bank manager being in on the job

7. Dec 3, 2007 #7 of 15
    EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    boywaja, is that true!? :eek:

I thought I'd seen them all (on TV), but didn't know that.

Was that revealed during some web-only episode or somethin'?

The way he was treated by the bank after the incident certainly showed some mutual unhappiness, but I never got that such a thing was possible from Chi McBride's character

8. Dec 3, 2007 #8 of 15
    thesilb

thesilb Member

Jan 3, 2005
    All the remaining unaired episodes circulate via BitTorrent...

Coincidentally I just watched them all (E10-E13) today on a loooooooong Northwest Airlines flight...pretty decent series, good acting...

9. Dec 3, 2007 #9 of 15
    unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I forgot all about this...I'd like to keep it that way though unless it was wrapped up. Was it wrapped up and if so I'll finish it up. Will there be a DVD release?

10. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Whoa, that's quite a surprise. I didn't see that coming from his character at all. Did they do anything to lead up to the reveal or was it just the case of them pulling the rug out of under the viewer for the sake of offering some big surprise?

11. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    That is really disappointing. Over hyped is right. I knew I wouldn't get a good payoff. It was a cheap plot device to cut off every conversation where one of the characters was just about to talk about the details of the holdup.

12. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    Is there anyone who can take a few minutes to summarize the end of the series for those of us who don't use Bit Torrent?

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think I still have one or two on my S1.. Though I'm not positive if I missed any in the middle.

14. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    I'll take a shot at it. Just remember I think I watched this in August so my memory may be off.

cop guy figures out that the 9 are under surveilance.

the kind of nerdy guy who was later on 4400 goes on a talk show and was saying good things until he gets challenged by another guest. At that point he reveals that the they are undersurveilance. (the 9 had decided to kee that a secret previously) That lead to all of the hostages being brought in to be interviewed by the police.

It seems that not all of the money was recovered from the bank robbery and the police believe that one of them was in on it.

The bank manager's brother comes to town for a visit leading to tenson in that family. The bank manager's brother and extended family helped send him to school and now he feels obligated to send them money. The problem is he doesn't have that much. He was about to lose the house. So somehow he gets together with the nicer robber to set up a robbery. The security guard was also in on it

Nothing went right. The nicer robber brings his crazy brother (who I dont think knew this was an inside job). The daughter calls 911 on a cell phone. And the bank robbery went to hell.

15. tetspa

tetspa New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    All of the problems with the robbery could have been avoided with one simple change to the plan - the manager should have had a pre-arranged signal (perhaps wearing a flower on his lapel or something) that would have been an "abort" signal. When the daughter came into the bank, he should have signaled the abort.

Barring that, since it was an inside job, the nice robber could have been in charge of the hostages, never taking an eye off of them. The mean robber could grab the manager to "open the safe", and would not have had to worry about anything. I would have had every hostage standing up with hands raised, then, one by one, tie their hands behind their back with tie-ends or rope. No 911 call, no hassles.

A third option was to have the manager "watch" the customers, telling them "don't do anything or we will all get killed" - a manager urging the customers to cooperate and not do anything is perfectly in keeping with normal behavior. The only difference here would be the manager could "enforce" cooperation.