Anyone want a Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmace57, May 18, 2010.

1. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX

Advertisements

I bought one of the series 1 (Philips) units about 1 year ago, thinking that I'd do some hacking. But, there it sits a year later, and I realize I'm never going to do anything with it. This basically looks brand new - it says it has a 20 gig hard drive in it, but it really has a 60 and the image shows 20.

Anyway, can anyone out there use this? For parts? For hacking? (No, it doesn't have lifetime on it).

Rather than trash it, I'll give it to anyone who wants it.

If you want it PM me.

Jim

PS - I want to keep the remote. Basically it would come with the TiVo, power cord and a Xeroxed manual. This thing is box stock.

2. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I too have a stock series 1 - with upgraded drives, original box, and remote, in White Plains, NY - looking for a good home
    -Shaown

3. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    Have one also that I bought a decade ago. I use it for security camera dvr. Had the cameras already, but no recording capability. Not ideal, it works, but takes too much hands/on for resetting. Was wondering what it would take to add looping/continuous record and motion detect. The good security dvrs are costly.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most Series 1 TiVo are not worth the shipping cost, one exception is one with lifetime Service dated Jan 2000 or earlier.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000

Advertisements

Well, there seems to be a thread now and again for a TiVo that would work as a basic VCR with no service sub.

Most of the series 1 would fulfill that need well enough. And hey, if someone wants one that badly, seems like an ideal solution.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'd like the IR blaster. I have 2 Series 1s and a Series 2 that I need to sell, all w/lifetime but I'm somehow short 1 IR blaster.

I'd rather not spend $13.23 w/shipping and tax (price at tivo.com) just to help sell one of my old Tivos. I doubt I'd fetch >$75 for the Series 1 units.

7. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Heck ill take a series 1 to play with but no way to pm till my new laptop power cord shows up since my desktop is down cause of water damage also so if you have it in a few days ill get with you.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm trying to do this right now for a friend. I have an old Series 1 that she wants to use to make manual recordings without a sub. However, I had performed a "Clear and delete everything" which apparently removes this ability. (I haven't actually tried to set it up yet as she has been busy, but I've seen a few references to this in other threads.)

9. beej9

beej9 New Member

May 19, 2010
    I would happily pay for shipping to Mass. and make good use of your S1. I already have one hacked S1 and would love a second. I tried to PM email jmace but the email bounced. Please PM email me if you still have the S1.

Thanks,
    Barry

10. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    See PM cwerdna