Anyone upgraded or added a Tivo HD or HD XL?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by TiVoEvan74, Jul 19, 2009.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

We own and enjoy two Series 2 Tivos with DVD burning units. We're thinking of adding a third Tivo.

I was wondering if anyone had switched to one of the HD or HD XL units or added one and what their impressions are vs. the DVD burning units (e.g., trade-off large space vs. DVD accumulating, etc.)

We're used to essentially unlimited space on our current Tivos (we can always burn DVDs to free up space) and record now only in Basic so we have 80+ hours on one of them and 200+ on the other. We also often take advantage of playing DVDs in our units!

But I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences who have used both types of units-- the modern HD ones and the DVD (Humax, Toshiba) ones. (We don't have digital cable or HD televisions.)

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. refried

refried Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brunswick, ME
    I had a Series 1 I upgraded the hard drive in before I got my Humax DVD burner so I also upgrade the hard drive in my Humax. With over 300 hours I rarely used the DVD burner. It was nice to have to record a show or two for friends but I don't have very many DVDs I'll keep.

I have a TiVo HD and the space seems tight on it because I haven't upgraded it yet. I expect when we switch to using it as our primary TiVo I'll buy an external hard drive for it so we have hundreds more hours available to us.

3. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    refried, so it sounds as if space matters more than DVD burning capability!

I was looking at the specs on the HD XL and it say 1,350 hours of standard definition programming! Given we record at Basic now on the Series 2... which means 6 hours on a DVD, that would translate into 200+ DVDs... more than we have accumulated that's for sure.

Of course, we'd still have to have a DVD player hooked up as we do watch commercial/gift DVDs from time to time.

4. Webguideguy

Webguideguy New Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I have both a TIVOHD and a Humax running in my home.

While I do like the ability to burn DVDs with certain shows, (it's great for kid stuff) there's no substitute for HD content. So the question is how much do you like to look at HD?

My HD Tivo has a 1 gig drive (WD green working great) - I have virtually limitless storage. (I have HD movies on there that I haven't had the time to watch for over a year)

My humax has a 250 gb and is virtually limitless as well.

So, the real question is what do you want to look at? HD or regular content.

5. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...

Advertisements

I've had two Pioneer DVD burners for many years and used to write lots of DVDs. But now with large disks on all of our TiVos, we only write DVDs when we plan to give the DVD to someone else for them to see. I've got hundreds of DVDs in boxes and find I'm raiding those boxes just to get cases and throwing the old recordings away, much as I did in the past with video tapes. Doubt one should buy a HD TiVo now unless they have plans to shortly get a HD TV. But with a HD set, the advantages of 9x16 support, dual tuners, HD picture quality, good closed caption support, Netflix, etc. are so great that we rarely watch using the old Pioneer Series 2 box any longer. We use the Pioneer DVD capability to play, not record since one can't write a DVD on the Pioneer that isn't recorded on the same box; I generate most DVDs using TiVoToGo and VideoReDo TVSuite on my PC. It supports downgrading HD recordings to SD prior to recording on a DVD as well as commercial removal.

6. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Very helpful! Appreciate the experience of DVDs and series 2 boxes that get less use!

As to HD needs...we're just a few years removed from having watched all our shows over the air, with pretty fuzzy analog... even with cable, we subscribe to just the basic 5 channels, we record in Basic, and accept lower quality video. So we've been bitten by the HD bug yet!

Our TVs are pretty old, too, although we do have a LCD newer one, but again they're not digital or HD.

I suppose, though, one be ready for improvements, eventually!

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I really liked my TX20, but with the advent of HD it just wasn't cutting it video-quality wise. Also, it was the slowest of any of my TiVo boxes. The convenience of being able to dump a recording to DVD, or having the TiVo controls for DVD playback, made it a great box otherwise.

I ended up giving it to my parents. The TiVo Basic service is perfect for them and now I don't have to keep burning DVDs for them of shows they've missed. :cool:

8. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    LOL over the DVD burning! Yours is another good data point. I suppose that we may be impressed, actually, if we do switch to an HD unit--I presume that SD will look better than Basic quality that we've been recording in. Of course, with an OTA antenna, too, I guess we could optionally record those shows still in Basic.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm not sure about that ... if you're picking up the digital OTA stations you won't have the option to pick a recording quality.

But yeah, even SD content on the HD boxes looks better than it did on the SD boxes.

10. Smallvilleclike

Smallvilleclike New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    so many explainations
    which one is better/

11. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    I've upgraded all the TiVos we ever had, S1's, S2's, Humax and S3's.

Currently using 3x Series 3 (two with HD/cableCard) and one Series 2.

Had a Humax DVD burner, sold it. Hardly ever used the DVD with all the hard drive space we have.

All three S3's have 1T (terabyte) drives in them (these #s are per unit):

143 hrs HD
    210 hrs Best Quality
    310 hrs High
    490 hrs Medium
    1243 hrs Basic

12. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    I have a Humax DVD unit still plugged in (guest room), but we only watch HD content. Once you watch HD, you'll never want to watch SD.

I keep the Humax up and running because it has lifetime, and every once in a while someone wants a DVD of a specific program.

I threw caution to the wind and upgraded all 4 of my units to larger hard drives as soon as I bought them, so space has never really been a problem.

13. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Hmm... interesting. So, I wonder whether our local digital OTA channels are HD or SD... I supposed they could be either. But it sounds as if one just takes what they get! So long, basic recording!

14. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    All full power stations[*] are HDTV now. Hmph. Never realized there was such a thing until finding this, but LPTV (low power TV) stations have not yet switched to HDTV. Sounds like the exception, by far.

* from here: