Anyone upgrade drive in TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bfdhe, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bfdhe

bfdhe TiVo Junkie

Dec 31, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    I tried to search around a bit, but could not find if anyone had been able to upgrade the Hard Drive in the new HD Tivo.

I just received mine and thought if it was possible, I would throw in the spare 1TB Drive I have.

Sorry if this was obvious someplace, I didnt see it.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it may or may not be. We are waiting on someone who outright owns one to do the usual methods and see if they work. I doubt it would hurt the original since you are replacing.

PVR upgrade is selling them in different sizes so we know they have some way to do it.

3. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'd leave the internal drive in there and connect the 1TB to the eSata.
    edit: I just read somewhere ;) here that the kickstart62 method Does not work on the TiVoHD.

If you'd rather replace the internal drive I don't see why it would be any different than the Series 3. No harm in giving it a try except for the time invested.
    If it doesn't work, you just swap back your original drive.

Someone has to be the first to do it.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if it was me I would replace the internal drive first and wait on the offical eSata so that I had buckets of storage (of course this assumes MRV comes at the end of the year to make such storage truly useful)

so your choice is obvious :D

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There were issues with the S3 when trying eSATA on an upgraded drive. I might get a cheap 500gb drive now (you can get one for around $90-$100) and replace the internal drive. Since nothing much is on TV right now, I wouldn't waste money buying an eSATA enclosure and drive. I would wait a few months and the prices will be even lower. However, you may or may not have to put the original back in for it to work when they enable eSATA expansion on the box.

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The Kickstart 62 does NOT work on the TiVo HD. So you'd have to wait until they activate it this fall.

Both WeaKnees.com and and DVRupgrade.com are selling expanded TiVo HD boxes - so clearly it is possible to put in a larger drive.

7. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Why not just use the WeaKnees instructions for the S3? MFSTOOLS? I am tempted to pick up an HD box (every CC in the area is showing them in stock) and giving the upgrade a go.

8. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I just got my TiVo HD setup. I want to drop in a 500 gig drive but that won't be until next weekend at the earliest.

I have a 320 gig drive as a spare backup drive in my PC that I might just pull out tonight and give a try. The TiVO HD is updating right now and I want to wait until it's done.

9. Sy-

Sy- New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Ewa Beach,...
    Wow....

10. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Yeah. Hard to imagine a 1TB drive as a "spare".
    They haven't been out long and are still at a price premium per GB over lower capacity disks.

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I have a spare 500GB drive. If I can find that and my T-10, I'll try it. I was going to wait, in case the TiVo branded external drive wouldn't work on an already expanded unit, but I can always put the original drive back in later.

12. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'd just leave alone for a month or so and see how the rest of the unit performs so you won't be here saying -

I'm having troubles with my new TiVo, I upgraded it 5 minutes after I took it out of the box, could that have anything to do with it ?

13. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I don't know how they are doing it because currently none of the upgrade tools work, including mfstools.
    Tivo changed it's internals abit with Tivo HD.

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    For TiVo HD does that mean the single internal drive upgrade does not work using mfstools or just the esata drive marriage doesn't work?

15. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    mfstools does not work.
    I'm working on a solution but will take some time to finish and test.

16. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Bummer. Guess you saved me some time.

Let me know if you need a tester for whatever you figure out. :)

17. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Congratulations! Can't wait to hear your feedback!!

18. tvofan

tvofan New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Has anyone been able to successfully create and restore an image file backup? I just got my TiVo HD and would like to create a virgin backup.

19. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    No.... I guess the old tools are not compatable. New ones are being churned out as we speak.

20. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I suspect that the companies that are selling upgraded HD Tivos might be getting a little bit of "extra" help from Tivo that is making this doable.

I'm sure someone will figure it out though, it's not like Tivo is fighting tooth and nail to keep users from upgrading their boxes.