Anyone try Desktop 2.8.1 yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by janry, Jun 11, 2010.

1. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Being able to look at various folders on the PC from the TiVo will be nice.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I tried it, and will stick with pyTivo for now. TD+ transcodes my h264/ac3/mp4 files into completely unviewable programs on my Premiere. See attachments comparing TD+ with pyTivo.

Edit: Damn! I did pretty good at capping the same frame in VLC! :D

Attached Files:

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Tivo Desktop 2.8 could do this. You just had to put shortcuts to the other folders/drives in the My Tivo Recordings folder.

Having said that, now it seems that along with being able to publish video from other drives/folders, you can also set up auto transfers. :up:

My question is: will MP4 videos transfer using the free version (Tivo will play MP4, right?)?

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Tell me again, which is the program you need to pay for? :)

5. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005

Advertisements

Previous version could do that.

6. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    It's not showing up when I check for updates. I have version 2.8.
    Have they finally fixed the problem of not being able to transfer recordings from the TiVo to the PC?

7. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Not on the free version...

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  9. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    lol.. check for updates was broken. That is too funny. QA and bug checking must have been broken too, lol.

Loaded new version.. yeah.. Pytivo is the way to go.. but will give this a shot once in awhile. Since it will never do transfers better then free software, they should just concentrate on zoom-able HD Photos and album flow Music IMHO.

10. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I tried to try Pytivo, but I couldn't even figure out which version I should download. Seems like a mess to me.

11. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Hmm. Doesn't seem like a pyTivo fail, but rather a cogitation fail.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    OK. I was happy with 2.3 for these many years since I didn't use it for anything except copying back and forth from tivo to pc. But new Norton install threw away one of my files so I decided to just update to 2.8, using the Search for Updates.

Everything went well except my NPL on Desktop is now empty. What happened.

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It could be that your "My TiVo Recordings" folder got moved, or disassociated in some manner. I know I moved mine from "My Documents" to a much bigger harddrive.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I just checked. The "My TiVo Recordings" folder is still listed under My Documents. When I check it with Explore it shows that all of the recordings are there. When I check TiVo Desktop File Settings it is looking right there for the folder. Yet the Desktop shows no files in the folder.

15. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    How about creating a new .tivo file in it? I just tested a theory by adding a new 0 byte text document, then renaming it to "Fake.TiVo.File.tivo", and it showed up immediately in TD. Perhaps creating a new file in My TiVo Recordings will wake up the little file watcher that TD uses?

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I just found a duplicate copy of MyTiVoRecordings. One under My Documents and another other my Name and then My Documents. I copied the old one to the new one, but said no to the dupicate desktop.ini file (didn't copy it). Everything now shows up OK. Just need to test to see if I screwed up anything else.

17. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I think the desktop.ini file is only there to allow Windows to set the Folder Icon to the little TiVo dude, so you're not missing anything there...

18. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Please - been doing QA for 12+ years. Just because bugs are found, doesn't mean the suits don't decide to ship it anyway...

19. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    He & I are in the same dementia boat because I completely failed to comprehend what is going on with pyTiVo also. Use this, no use that, use the installer, no don't use the installer. I just decided if the instructions are so incompresensible to me, then I'd never figure out the program.

20. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Here is a single page of instructions that someone put together:
    http://scottsoapbox.com/2010/04/20/pytivo-install-instructions/