Anyone successfully setup MoCA with HughesNet internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kabod7, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kabod7

Kabod7 New Member

May 26, 2017

Advertisements

Trying to cut the cord from DirecTV so I now have a Roamio OTA.
    After a 3 week test run my wife decided it was a keeper and now wants a Mini in the exercise room.

The Mini requires a MoCA network and what research I could find suggested it was doable for our application.

I ordered 2 ActionTec adapters and the splitters I needed and hoped to have it up and running last night.

At the first split between the Hughenet feed coming in and then out to the modem and MoCA adapter I found that the modem could not find a signal.
    I suspect the signal loss through the splitter is the culprit.

However, after spending several hours trying to find a solution online, the silence is deafening concerning my situation.

It looks like it may not be possible at all given the frequencies involved with MoCA and Hughenet.

But, before I box everything up and return it, I'm reaching out to see if this is, in fact, a dead end or if anyone has had success in making this work.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Family is in town so I don't have time for any research, but my first questions would be:

At what frequencies does HughesNet operate?

Do you have any other unused coax lines?

3. Kabod7

Kabod7 New Member

May 26, 2017
    The HughesNet modem uses a modulated carrier wave in the range of 950-1450 MHz

As far as other coax, I'm going to use the lines currently used for DirecTV by disconnecting them and putting them into my own splitter for the MoCA feed.

4. Kabod7

Kabod7 New Member

May 26, 2017
    I forgot to add that the satellite operates in the Ka band and uses the 18.3-31 GHz range.

However, this is a mute point at this juncture.

After a very frustrating day I decided to leave work early and take my wife to the beach (beautiful Perdido Key, FL). After a couple of relaxing hours it finally dawned on me that I had another option.

My house is off grade with a decent crawl space underneath. It will take a bit of work but I will be able to run ethernet everywhere I need to! It looks like my Saturday is planned out for me.....

5. Rusty Siazon

Rusty Siazon New Member

May 28, 2017

Advertisements

I understand you have a Tivo Roamio which you will be using for OTA television.
    How to create a MOCA network.
    1. Connect a 2 way MOCA splitter from your internet feed. 1 line goes to your ActionTec adapter. 2nd line connect to your modem.
    2. If you are using a router connect Ethernet cable from Modem to router.
    3. Connect Ethernet cable from ActionTec adapter to router.
    4. Connect Ethernet cable from Tivo Roamio to router. This will allow your Tivo Roamio DVR to connect to Tivo Central for programming. Note: If you are not using a router, you need a network hub instead of a router.
    This completes your MOCA network. You only need 1 MOCA adapter to create MOCA network.
    5. Go online and activate your Tivo Roamio and your Tivo Mini.
    6. Follow on-screen instructions. Tivo customer service can help you from this point.
    7. Good luck. You do not need to run Ethernet cables with MOCA network. You can install a Tivo Mini in any room with cable outlet. I have 4 Mini's in my home network and I use Tivo Roamio as well.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you can isolate the coax carrying the HughesNet signal from the rest of the house coax and get the Ethernet from your MoCA adapter to your router, you should be able to get it to work. The MoCA adapter needs to be on the house coax. The second MoCA adapter can be used to connect the Roamio OTA to the internet unless you can get an Ethernet cable to it.
    The only other thing that you will need is a MoCA filter on the coax line from the antenna.
    EDIT: If you can give a diagram or schetch of your wiring....it would be really helpful.

7. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Standard practice in my book to isolate the modem line from the TV/MOCA.