Anyone remember "Lost"? (reality show from 2001) No Spoilers please

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

My TiVo recorded an episode of an odd reality show yesterday called Lost. I watched a few minutes and decided to set an SP for it. Looked interesting at a glance.

IMDB says it began right before 9/11, was derailed and never recovered. The premise is 3 teams of 2 each (strangers to each other). They are blindfolded and flown somewhere with the mission of making their way back to New York City. I stopped watching yesterday about 15 minutes in (so my wife and I can check it out together) but the teams were apparently in the middle of nowhere Mongolia with $10 each and very little else.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone here remembered the show and if it was any good. Here is the IMDB page about it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0292816/

2. HiddenSky

HiddenSky Let's Go Flyers!

Dec 13, 2004
    Suburban...
    Yeah, I remember seeing one of the two sets of episodes when it first aired, and I've since seen all of them through the reruns.

3. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Personally, I thought the one where they dropped them in Mongolia turned out to be an utter disaster of a show, and was probably why it got yanked from network tv pretty quick. It was an interesting concept, but the execution was just terrible.

Now, I've seen parts of another one where I seem to recall them travelling along the Amazon (no idea where they started), and that one seemed to be going along better, so maybe they learned from the first attempt. Don't know if there are more than those two "seasons" though.

4. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I may be remembering wrong (being influenced emotionally by it's being cancelled too soon) but I recall liking this one better than Amazing Race. Mostly because they didn't get so much handed to them on a silver platter.

5. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR

Advertisements

I liked it, but IIRC they only had 6 episodes.

2 "races" or whatever you want to call them, 3 episodes each.

I remember being annoyed when another show called "Lost" was first being advertised. :)

6. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    it was actually made by conan O'briens production company

7. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Hmm, Conan doesn't seem to have a whole lot of luck with shows outside of "Late Night."

I remember a little of this show... It seemed to be kind of sloppy as far as I can recall.

8. jes218

jes218 OO==00==OO

Feb 10, 2005
    Connecticut
    Didn't they have to use a satellite phone to call in and guess where they were...? If they were wrong, they had to stay there until they figured it out.

9. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    That's how I remember it.

10. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I liked it but there was a big flaw in the concept that ulitmately made it boring. I'm sure you will figure it out. It started out very promising but it was ultimately no Amazing Race.

11. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    No Charla and Mirna?

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Interesting concept...painfully boring to watch.

13. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, we just watched the first 3 episodes (the first race) and I have mixed feelings about it. Certainly there are elements that I liked a lot.

+ 6 contestants, easy to get to know them fast.
    + Not eliminating anyone during the race.
    + Team cameraperson is acknowledged as part of the race and appear/speak on camera.

But minuses too.

- Too much trying to tug my heartstrings.
    - Too much begging.
    - Boring stretches.

I'll watch the other 3 episodes. Not great TV, but good enough for a short run.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I liked it.. I thought that your first message essentially gives the big issue about why they didn't make more. (i.e. endpoint of one of the races)