Anyone open up an Edge yet

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mwgnetway, Nov 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mwgnetway

mwgnetway New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I got mine and been trying to open it to see if I can upgrade the drive....

Almost looks like security bits on the bottom

Anyone try and replace the stock drive ... Seems quiet in the Edge front....

-Matt

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    TiVo's always used Torx...got pics?

-KP

3. mwgnetway

mwgnetway New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Not torx....

TIVO.jpg

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    'Inverted' Torx?

Aren't they E-something? E-20 and what not? I've got a set of drivers around here somewhere. The Throttle Body on my Impala SS used them.

You can also literally use a Torx Screw flipped over to turn them, too...

-KP

5. mwgnetway

mwgnetway New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I found what they are....

https://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail.php?prod=security-screw-8

Must be the partnership with Arris, as never been anything to slow people down from getting inside of them....

I hope its standard inside like the bolt and previous, but starting to have my doubts.

V7Goose and Mikeguy like this.
  6. mwgnetway

mwgnetway New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    V7Goose and Mikeguy like this.
  7. mwgnetway

mwgnetway New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    rtoledo, Mikeguy, LegoZ and 4 others like this.
  8. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Is the hard drive under the white cage?

9. rtoledo

rtoledo Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    you can buy a set of sockets at HarborFreight for one for about 6 dollars 1/4 in, 3/8 in. Drive Impact E-Socket Set, 7 Pc.

I use them daily on the smog / scr's on trucks .

10. Eldragun

Eldragun Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Have you successfully upgraded the Tivo Edge Hard drive ? With a 4 or 5 Tb 2.5 inch drive ? Was hoping it’s possible

11. Eldragun

Eldragun Member

Feb 3, 2016
    So I opened my new Edge and installed a 5tb 2.5 drive
    The Edge even formatted it correctly (the whole drive) upon boot up
    So far no issues , was a little bit difficult closing the top because the drive is bigger , but wasn’t really an issue

tommage1 and kpeters59 like this.
  12. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    So now I wonder how large of a drive it can handle.

What OS version does it run?

What recording space does it report?

Can you run MFSTools on the drive you took out and post the output of the mfsinfo -d command.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    How many hours does it show for the recording capacity in the System Information screen?

14. Eldragun

Eldragun Member

Feb 3, 2016
    799 HD Hours

Attached Files:

tommage1 likes this.
  15. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Wow. 5TB 2.5" drive HAS to be SMR. I know the Edge comes with an AV rated SMR drive. So maybe Edge can handle any SMR drive? Also very interesting that the Edge fully formats the 5TB. I wonder how high it could go (would have to try a large 3.5" drive to find out, no 2.5 larger than 5TB ever made far as I know).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  16. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Very interesting that the Edge will format 5TB itself. Also interesting a standard/non AV rated SMR drive works, at least to the point where it boots up!!

This is interesting, you might be able to test. Someone was doing a Roamio or Bolt upgrade, don't remember which. Also don't remember if TE3 or TE4. They put in a fresh 4TB drive. And said the Tivo formatted the full 4TB itself. I did not pursue it. But maybe some software update has changed the size a Roamio or Bolt will format? My guess would be TE4. I don't have any spare units to test, other than a non subscription TE3 Roamio. And largest spare drive I have is 4TB. But maybe you have some drives/units you can test, find out if Bolt/Roamio will format larger than 3TB drives? On TE4 or TE3?

mllacey likes this.
  17. kod4krome

kod4krome New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    It was that straight forward? Just throw in a new drive? Had you already set up the edge with the factory drive before the swap?

18. 3 Cushion John

3 Cushion John New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    "So I opened my new Edge and installed a 5tb 2.5 drive
    The Edge even formatted it correctly (the whole drive) upon boot up
    So far no issues , was a little bit difficult closing the top because the drive is bigger , but wasn’t really an issue."

My Edge upgrade was also easy, 5T drive formats and just runs like it was born like that. A foot stomper I'll add is to make sure you remove the 2 screws on the bottom under the paper FIRST. Press your finger around till you find the indents and use the special screw tool to remove them noted elsewhere. I added 2 heat sinks on top of the 5T cause it runs hotter. Left off the top stock metal HD cover cause it serves no good pupose I think. Got heat sinks from amazon (they're made for old style larger memory sticks and come with blue rubberish to stick them on). And they peel right off to move to another drive it needed later. I'll be upgrading my other Bolt to Edge when a sale comes on. I like the Edge that much.

19. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Would you be able to post the output of “mfsinfo -d” command on your old drive from the MFSTools 3.3x ISO?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. 3 Cushion John

3 Cushion John New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    jmbach,
    Absolutely! I'll get that for you soon, next day or 2. -- Edge comes with a "Video 2.5 hdd 2tb" ST2000VT000