Anyone know how I can contact someone actually at Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pgoelz, Apr 28, 2020.

1. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    I have been trying to get Tivo to resolve a really simple OTA channel lineup issue for a month and a half, FOUR issue numbers and several "supervisors". I have tried calling them as well as using the web "report a channel lineup problem" page. They keep closing the issue while getting it wrong and the last time or two they don't seem to actually have changed ANYTHING.

I even Emailed them at the "contact us" address with a detailed summary of the issue suggesting they look into the inept support and got an Email response suggesting that I might want to go to the web site and open a channel lineup issue. Geez!!!!

Does anyone know if there is a way to cut through the call center idiocy and communicate with someone actually from Tivo who might actually care?

In the mean time I am at a loss as to how to get this fixed. In frustration, I actually decided to just give up and called to cancel service on the Roamio (a spare Tivo and one I currently use for OTA only). When I told them why I was canceling I was offered three months of free service. I asked for six months and they gave it to me so I have not actually "cancelled" in their eyes. But I'm close to telling them to shove it and really cancel ;)

Paul

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I think most companies dealing with large numbers of consumers have insulated themselves from providing support at a detailed level that can’t be handled by scripts. In fact I think you are often dealing with bots when your interaction is via text message or email. The absurd response you got smacks of that. I’ve had similarly ridiculous email responses dealing with Google support on YouTube TV issues. There are two key features of bot responses:
    1. They obviously ignore details you have already given them.
    2. They just keep suggesting irrelevant actions or requesting irrelevant inputs from you.
    I think management just doesn’t see an incentive to give detailed responsive support that only helps a tiny fraction of their customers.

Sorry, I can’t help you other than to commiserate and say “don’t feel like the Lone Ranger”.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    keep using the web "report a channel lineup problem" page, and add detailed notes in the space provided - it works, i've used it successfully dozens of times.

repeated failures may indicate tivo is getting no response from the station(s) that have bad data, or you're in a dma market that's relegated to a different market even though you received the channels.

have you tried a nearby zip code that's different from yours to see if the listings are correct?

4. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    No it doesn't. At least not in this case. In addition to calling them, I have used the web page twice with a detailed description of the issue and each time I get an Email stating the issue is resolved when it is absolutely not. Not even close. The last time I called and spoke to a "supervisor" and in the process of talking to her I discovered that the previous agent (also a supervisor) had failed to describe the issue and left out a key detail.... no program data. So around we went again, resulting in yet another "issue resolved" Email with nothing whatsoever changed. Missing program data is still missing (totally).

No, this is metro Detroit and I have even been in communication with the affected station manager. The "missing" program data is right there on their home page, from a third party. And even if that were the issue I would expect Tivo to tell me that instead of continuing to report that the issue is resolved.

Paul

5. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    being on the web page and tivo having permission to publish are two different things - have you placed the contact info for the station manager in your online request, along with a link to the website?

6. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Yup. Several times, in fact. Including tonight on the phone. The TV station web site is unfortunately blocked on their internal web so they could not look at it. Oh well.

And in a familiar twist (ie., this has happened before), I got an Email this afternoon stating that the issue (with the case number) is resolved. It is not, and in fact nothing has changed. So out of curiosity I called and asked what was resolved. The answer was.... that case number is not resolved. In fact, it is supposedly escalated. How do these people stay in business???

Paul

7. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    does the online lineup on the station's website offer the ability to download the listings, and save to file like a pdf?

8. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    No, but I can always take a screen shot. Note that the program guide on their web site is apparently provided by a third party.... it carries TitanTV and Antennaweb logos.

Since I have in effect canceled service on this Tivo, I am pursuing this mainly out of curiosity. The Roamio sits un-powered at least until this gets fixed. That way I can call them without getting mad ;)

Paul

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  9. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    see if titan will allow download, it might work better than screenshots (or, maybe not), then send an email with the attached file, contact info, and the website link to lineup@tivo.com.

i've been down this rabbit hole before, so i can sympathize with your frustrations, but something out of the ordinary is happening, and the station manager may be the only one with the authority to find out what it is (and the answer probably won't come from tivo).

with my issue, the statewide pbs program director had to go to nielsen to find out what was wrong, and why tivo would never be able to resolve the issue (software limitations).

10. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    I've done just that, along with a detailed description of "displays THIS, should display THIS" and they keep on saying it is resolved without changing anything. There is something wrong somewhere but no one seems to be able to take the initiative and realize they need to find out WHAT.

The station manager has been in contact with Tivo in the early days of this debacle. I might try contacting him again. However, his station is a low power VHF (about 6KW) with maybe a 40 mile coverage radius with a good receive antenna and I'm not sure how many Tivo viewers he actually has to worry about.

I have decided the lineup team is incompetent and have given up trying to get them to fix this. My post here was to see if anyone knew how to break out of this Mobius loop and contact anyone who has some functional brain cells. Apparently not. Tivo has very effectively shielded them from us lowly paying customers.

My best guess is that Tivo management knows the day of home DVRs is ending and is trying to steer Tivo into the ground as slowly, cheaply and gently as possible. I recognize the symptoms.... I worked for a company like that once. Pissing off the occasional one or two people like me no probably does not matter to them like it once did.

Paul

11. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    tivo already has guide data built for your market, it's nothing for them to add a channel, they must have hit a roadblock - sorry these avenues didn't help, and hope you eventually find a way to get it resolved.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Thanks but I'm not holding my breath any more. You would think this would be a five minute job to fix, but for some reason that Tivo is totally unwilling to share, it goes unresolved. My solution was to discontinue using the Roamio on OTA (we also have a Bolt on Comcast), turn it off and cancel service. When I did that they gave me six months of free service, which may have diluted the impact on them of "cancelling".

As I said, the post here was to see if there was any way to make contact with anyone at Tivo that doesn't read a script for a living. If I was a Twitter user, maybe I could Twit at them?

Paul

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you post what information you are sending TiVo and/or posting on the lineup page? I assume this is due to the frequency changes so old and new frequencies for the station?

Scott

14. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    I have twice filled out their web page with appropriate information for the three channels that do not display channel names (channel x-yy displays this, should display this). I have at the same time filled out the missing guide data section for the one channel that has no guide data. I then finish by verbally describing the issue and include a link to the station web page (which has the channels and listings on the home page). I have now done all this twice. When I call and talk to someone (which I have also done at least twice), they seem to understand me, but the last time around when I later asked them to read to me what was actually communicated to the lineup team it turned out that they had totally omitted the part about no guide data.

I had given up and put this to bed but when I got the Email yesterday stating the issue was resolved I called to tell them it was NOT resolved and ended up with a supervisor who swears she will call me today with an update. We'll see. She was the one who told me that in spite of the Email, it is not yet resolved but I could not get any more information out of her.

Again, I am not looking for more input on how to better use the tools Tivo makes available.... I have used all of them and the issue is still not resolved. I am trying to find a way past the firewall to get this issue in front of someone who gives a damn. And in spite of how it might look, I'm not trying all that hard. I find that once I called to attempt to cancel service it is much less stressful to keep the Roamio turned off and ignore it ;) For now, at least.

And in the mean time I'm toying with the idea of trying the Amazon Fire TV system for OTA.

Paul

15. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Mail an letter restricted delivery to an executive of the company. That person must sign for the letter.

When you use Restricted Delivery, the recipient of your mailpiece must positively ID himself before the USPS carrier will relinquish possession of the mailpiece.

16. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Interesting idea but A) I don't know who to address it to and B) I'm not sure it is worth that kind of effort. If there is not a more conventional avenue of communication, Tivo can sink under their own weight as far as I am concerned. I'll move on to Amazon if I decide to continue my interest in OTA. It was a "research project" to see if cable cutting was a viable option.

Paul

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo Corporation
    2160 Gold Street
    San Jose, CA 95002
    United States
    408-519-9100
    http://business.tivo.com

Sector: Technology
    Industry: Software—Application
    Full Time Employees: 1,450

Key Executives
    Name Title Pay Exercised Year Born
    Mr. David Shull Pres, CEO & Director 2.15M N/A 1973
    Mr. Wesley Gutierrez Chief Financial Officer 593.26k N/A 1978
    Mr. Matthew W. Milne Sr. VP & Chief Revenue Officer 1.49M N/A 1968
    Mr. Michael Hawkey Sr. VP & GM of User Experience 1.44M N/A 1965
    Mr. Arvin Patel Exec. VP & Chief Intellectual Property Officer 1.58M N/A 1972

18. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Thanks Joe, if I get pissed off again I may use that information. It would be interesting to drop a dime and see if I could reach Mr. Hawkey (for example). Right now, if Tivo has no other more normal ways around the firewall, I'm weary of fighting them and frankly a bit embarrassed at how much fuss I have caused myself and them. This does not bode well, though, for the next time I have a channel lineup issue on our primary Bolt (on cable). The last time that happened, it also took several tries before they got it right. But they did eventually get that one right.

Between fighting with Comcast and Tivo, I'm tired of having to shout to get anything done ;)

Paul

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I have to wonder how that would work in a typical company office building where USPS delivers to one point then mail is distributed internally. Does the USPS person take the elevator and walk the halls to reach the office of the recipient?

And what if the recipient is out of the office? Does the USPS person have to keep trying delivery day after day?

My guess: someone just signs for the intended recipient, thus raising the question of what advantage Restricted Delivery really offers.

20. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    It is moot at this point. I have given up. The Tivo "supervisor" to my surprise actually called me back last evening as promised..... and then simply read back to me the same incorrect information she read to me the day before. When I asked about the missing guide data, she said I would have to open a new lineup issue. At that point I said NO, this is ridiculous, I'm done.

Interestingly, the "lineup team" provided a new explanation of why three of the 12 WHNE subchannels are not labeled with their channel name. The reason given was that "those are local channels", whatever that means. The three channels in question are "The Bob Channel", Drive-In" (ie., movies) and "Fun Roads" (all about cars and travel). They are no more local than any of the other 9 subchannels of that station (that ARE correctly labeled). But she was just reading from an Email and was unable to expand on that. And neither she nor I can actually talk to the "lineup team". So over and out.

In summary, there is absolutely no way of reaching anyone higher than a CS "supervisor". And the "supervisors" have been utterly unable to resolve the issue or even tell me why it continues to be un-resolved after numerous tickets reporting the same simple issue and several "escalations" (whatever that really means). If you press for more information, you get a robotic "I perfectly understand you" and then just get the same information read back to you. The CS people you speak to have no information or intelligence to add beyond what they read from Email communication with the "lineup team". The "lineup team" is totally isolated and does not take phone calls from customers or even the CS people. They communicate entirely by Email and seem incapable of explaining anything in written form so there we are. A broken system with no way to signal to the mothership that it is broken. I tried my damnedest to get this resolved and failed. The only thing I can think of is to call Tivo corporate at the number Joe provided but I'm weary of this and I'm done. I will never again pay for service on the Roamio now that its only use to me is OTA and Tivo can't be bothered to fix a dead easy OTA lineup issue. I dread the day I have to go through this on the Bolt (on Comcast with with cable card). The last time that happened, it took at least two attempts but they did eventually get it fixed.

I should add that I have run into this before, with HP. Like Tivo, the CS people at HP have a script and troubleshooting flow chart. But if they get to the end of the chart there is nothing there. There is no place to send the call and there is no way to proceed further. The only option is to give up with the problem unresolved. And that generally means the customer solves the problem the only way possible..... by discarding the product and trying a different brand.

Paul

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020