Anyone have remote control issues with DTV H20?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cutty, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    My 10-250s finally died and had no choice but to get DTVs HD DVRs. They sent me two H20s for free to tie me over until the new HD Tivo units come out. Everything worked fine for a couple of weeks, but now one of my H20s isn't responding to any remote, or responds very periodically. The other one works fine. I've changed batteries, re-powered the unit to no avail. Neither DTV remote works the unit, so it's not a remote issue, I don't think. I'd hate to think I have to switch out the box. Changing the channels on the front of the box works fine, but obviously not very practical to do this on a regular basis. Is this a known issue with H20s and their respective remotes?

Thanks for the input.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I'm guessing you actually have an HR20 HDDVR, not an H20 HD Receiver?

At any rate, this sounds like infrared interference messing up the remote's signals in that room. This is typically caused by LCD TV screen backlights. You can verify this by turning off your TV, using the HR20's remote to change the channel, then turning your TV back on to verify that the channel change happened.

Your HR20 should have come with in RF-capable remote, so switching that remote to RF mode instead of infrared should solve the problem. If you don't have an RF-capable remote, often a layer or two of blue painter's tape over the HD DVR's infrared sensor can solve this problem. Or re-orienting the location of the HD DVR.

3. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a 20HD DVR. Had a Tivo 10-250 prior and it died. Never had a remote problem with it. My HD TV is a 60" Pioneer Plasma.

I will try your suggestion of the tape.

It originally worked fine, and then about a two weeks later, started acting up. Very weird.

Thanks again.

4. mdreyjt

mdreyjt New Member

Aug 26, 2011
    that the channel change happened.