Anyone have problems returning DVR to Costco?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Pipper, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006

Advertisements

My mom recently purchased a DTV HD DVR from Costco as a lease upgrade. Unfortunately, she passed away shortly after, and I need to return the DVR. DTV has turned off the service without an early cancellation fee, but they said that if I return the DVR to Costco, DTV might bill me for the full amount of the DVR since it's leased and not purchased. The DTV rep wasn't sure how Costco handles these returns, and she recommended that I return the DVR to DTV (of course, I wouldn't get the $169 refunded that way). Mom returned the original HD Receiver in a prepaid mailing after she bought the DVR.

She was going to return the DVR anyway since the one she got was used (it had recordings of Survivor and other shows from before her purchase date).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    You are, indeed in an unfortunate position. The $169 your mother paid is like a lease acquisition fee and the equipment does actually belong to D*.

This is extremely rare and is a downside of the lease arrangement. It barely effects most people as the equipment is useless when the service is discontinued and apart from salvaging the old unit for scrap, has little or no value.

3. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Argh. I wonder if I can transfer it to my account and use it as a second DVR?

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Absolutely, assuming there's no outstanding balance on the other one (which there obviously won't be). Call and explain the circumstances and I'm sure they will oblige.

All it will cost is the $5.00 mirroring fee. The DVR fee covers all DVRs on the account.

5. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks, Tony. Too bad it's a used unit. I don't know how Costco got away with selling that. The unit hasn't given any problems, though. Maybe D will exhange a new unit with me.

6. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    How about going to Costco instead of acting on assumptions made here? They have a great customer service reputation, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't refund the money.

7. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Costco already told me that they would gladly give me a refund, but I'm afraid that they don't understand DTV's policy, and I'm afraid that DTV will charge me close to $500 if I don't send it back to them. Some members on another board have also told me that I would probably get tagged for the unit from DTV if I return it to Costco.

Lesson learned. :)

8. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I don't understand how you would get hit for $500 charges if your mom was the one that bought the DVR? Are you sure DirecTV would even charge you? That doesn't make sense to me.

9. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I guess that I should say that her estate will be charged, and as her heir and executor, I'll be paying the charges.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The DirecTV DVRs sold through Costco are clearly labeled as a "lease upgrade fee" and that the box belongs to DirecTV.

11. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Its hard to believe the D* commitment survives death.

I can't see having to do any more than return the box to DirecTV since they own it.

If this were not the case given how many who die have cell phones it seems like it would be a big national issue.