Anyone have a lifetime Series 2 for sale?

Discussion in 'Buyer/Seller Area' started by moonscape, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1 of 11
    moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

I had given a friend one of mine years ago and she called this morning saying it had gone to snow. She has rebooted, wiggled cables, and nothing. She has noone knowledgeable in the small town where she is, a town so small the local cable company does not have to supply cable cards - hence the need for a Series 2.

She's on an extremely limited budget so getting another Series 2 is better than a monthly DVR rental she can't afford.

Am wondering if anyone has a retired lifetime unit gathering dust in a closet or basement somewhere? Cheap would be good. No eBay fees!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When she reboots, does she even get the Welcome screen?

What model does she have and is it lifetimed?

These aren't as cheap as they should be, but if you're near one, it'll save you the cost of shipping.

$40
    TIVO video recorder

$50
    300 Hour Tivo DVR TCD540040 Lifetime Sub

$65
    TiVo Series 2 TCD540040 DVR Digital Recorder With No Subscription Fee

I don't know any of these people and can offer no guarantees about anything.

3. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    She said she turned it on and it was snow - had used it the night before. She rebooted, but the same. No Welcome Screen. It's a TCD540080 w/ lifetime. Any suggestion as to what she could try to diagnose?

Thanks for the Monterey link - that's very close to me. She's in Western NC. I could pick it up and ship it to her (though ack I'd rather not!)

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm at the other end of NC.

Shipping between us and Cal. starts to get kind of steep.

Just had a thought, maybe the TiVo itself is not the problem. (Although hard drive or power supply or both are the most likely explanation for a unit of it's age)

If she's not even getting the welcome screen but is getting a lighted screen, is she by chance feeding the TV via the RF output (which would require the TV to be tuned to channel 3 or channel 4, depending on how the TiVo was set--I *think* the 540 uses a slide switch on the back next to the tuner RF input and output jacks), and could it be that the TV is no longer tuned to the right channel (have her put it on both 3 and 4 to see if she sees anything), and if she feeds the TiVo line level output (Red, White, and Yellow RCA jacks) to an aux line level input on the TV, could it have gotten switched to some other input, or could the cable have been pulled loose somehow? And loose cable question applies to RF connection between TiVo and TV as well.

Here's a guy in Greensboro been sitting on a 540 for about a month now, maybe he'd ship.

TiVo Series 2 80 hr DVR - Lifetime service

and there's a TCF'er in Winston-Salem who deals in used TiVos whom I'm going to invite to this thread that might be an even better answer.

5. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...

Advertisements

That'd be me. I have the following:
    TCD649080 (6C11) - No service, updated to current software
    TCD649080 (0C0F) - No service, updated to current software
    TCD24008A (0F06) - Lifetime (Eval), updated to current software

I was going to pull the hard drives from the 649080 units for resale and then ship all three to unitron to use as parts machines. I haven't personally used any of these other than to verify that they were functional. For some reason, when I was working with them, I never could successfully get them to work with my converter box. I feel pretty sure that it had far more to do with my ignorance than faulty hardware though...

Since unitron invited me into the fray, I'm guessing he's OK with the 24008A unit going to her. Or do you guys think it's more likely that she just needs a replacement hard drive, to keep her system as undisturbed and familiar to her as possible? How far west in NC is she?

6. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    I have a TiVo Series2 DVR (TCD140060) with Lifetime service, WeaKnees upgrade to 500GB. It comes with the TiVo AG0100 Wireless G USB Network Adapter. I’ll let them go for the price of a TiVo Mini $150, buyer pays shipping.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have S2 with lifetime that has a bad power supply. If you're willng to repair it I'll give it to you for free, just pay shipping.

8. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks Dan203. I can cover the shipping, so let's go ahead and say we'll take it and we'll decide within the next few days where it's going to end up. Will that work?

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sure. Let me dig it out and find a box to stick it in. Send me your address via private message so I can look up the shipping.

10. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks Dan. Everything is ready to go.

11. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Dan, Unitron, SVTarheel ... appreciate it. Looks like she'll have a working S2 soon!