Anyone have a hack for Bolt to fast forward or :30 skip through Xfinity On Demand?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Frabjoy, May 21, 2017.

1. Frabjoy

Frabjoy New Member

May 21, 2017
    Looking for how I can outsmart Comcast and fast forward through commercial breaks on On Demand shows that don't allow. Old :30 skip hack does not seem to work these days.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not possible

3. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast is controlling VOD on their end, not TiVo, so it is not possible to do. Set up a recording, record the show you want, then you can do whatever you want with it.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    There used to be a page up button press on Comcast remotes for their boxes that did this but I am not sure if that "hack" still works any more or not and have never figured out a similar press for TiVo probably because it doesn't exist as noted above.

5. chicagoenergy

chicagoenergy energychicago

Nov 14, 2013
    Chicago
    Ran into this issue the other day when watching Grey's Anatomy (don't laugh). The audio dropped out during the middle of the broadcast that I recorded. You couldn't hear anyone talking, only the music, sound effects and background noise were heard.

I launched the show "on demand" through my TiVo. I also use Comcast. I tried to fast forward to the point of the show where I had left off which was about 35 minutes in. NO CAN DO. That function is not allowed!

However, I launched the ABC app through my ATV4 and, boom, was able to fast forward to the point I wanted. And yes, I used my Comcast credentials.

It did, however, make me watch NINE commercials since I fast forwarded past two commercial breaks. It that was much better than sitting through the same 35 minutes of show that I had already seen.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    For the OTA broadcast networks (ABC etc.) Plex is your friend.

7. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I've heard this mentioned before. Can you elaborate a little on this? How can I watch missed shows from network channels via Plex?

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Plex also has the ability to add plug-ins they call channels, the selection is very limited, but there are channel plug-ins that allow access to some (most?) current ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, & PBS shows via VoD. I don't use it allot but when I have a messed up recording due to reception problems I can mostly get access to the show through one of Plex's channel plug-ins and so far they have been commercial free. Of course to use Plex on a TiVo or Roku etc., you have to have a Plex server setup and running on your network. The base software is free and it is pretty easy to get it setup on a computer.

9. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Thanks. I have a Plex server set up on my desktop but I wasn't aware of the network channel plugins. I'll get those added.

As a side note, my Plex server doesn't seem to work when my desktop sleeps. I wonder if there's a way to get the desktop to "wake up" when being called by a Plex client. Of course I'm under the assumption that having my PC go into sleep mode saves a significant amount of energy. I could be wrong about that.

10. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Good info about the network plug-ins, thanks! I've only recently started exploring Plex, I didn't know about those.

As far as waking up your desktop based on a Plex request, I don't know, but that seems like it may be a tall order. Desktops have sometimes supported a function called Wake On Lan, where a special packet received by the Ethernet adapter could wake up the machine. Perhaps there's a way to use that function to help do what you want (my guess is that perhaps something else might have to detect the request, and send the special packet?). But you might have to resort to enabling other power-saving options (spinning down the disks, etc), but preventing the machine from actually going to sleep.

A Kill-A-Watt, or similar, will help you understand how much power the PC is drawing in different states. The KAW will also track cumulative power consumed. This can help you understand what it's actually costing you to run, helping to make a more-informed decision about how to manage the machine.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. syd81

syd81 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Wait, the 30 sec skip does not work with OnDemand on TiVo?

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The VOD app is provided by Comcast and has the same restrictions to trick play as the Comcast supplied boxes. They can restrict FF and force you to watch commercials just like with their own boxes.

13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    To elaborate further, some channels allow you to FF shows you are watching On Demand, many don't. It seems more and more restrict it these days like ABC or Fox. But the plus side with the TiVo is that you can record these shows and not have to watch them On Demand.

14. syd81

syd81 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    but can you enable the 30 sec skip at all? could I skip 30 sec of non-commercials or just fast-forward?

15. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I am pretty sure you can FF through parts of the video that are not commercials in some cases. I am not sure why you would want to do that though if you want to watch a show?

16. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    The most likely reason is to get to a certain position of the show. For example, if for whatever reason you're recording clipped off the last 2 minutes of a show and you're using VOD just to view those lost minutes, it would be more useful to get to the end of the show ASAP rather than plod through it.

tim1724 likes this.
  17. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    When dealing with that situation, I have found that holding the skip button gets me to the end of the video. Then I can rewind back far enough to view the cut-off section. This has worked even with FF-disabled feeds. It also eliminates me from having to see 4+ sets of commercials if I try to go forward-only.

18. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It hasn't always been that way with Comcast On Demand. I remember watching 50 minutes or so of a CSI episode (about 10 years ago) on demand and had to stop watching because something urgent came up. I went back to watch the rest a couple of days later and was unable to skip through any of it.

19. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    When using the 30 second skip mode, holding down the skip button has different behavior than skipping to the end.
    I've run into that. I think it is show or network dependent. Reduces the usability significantly. In fact, because of such issues, I haven't used VOD in ages. But I was just offering one use case where skipping or fast forwarding through VOD is useful if available.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Your On Demand viewings are saved for 24 hours, apparently. They show up in "Saved Video On Demand", and for that 24 hours, you can start back where you last stopped.

Again, like others have said, SOME channels do let you FF (even commercials).. Often it's basic/extended basic cable channels. OTA channels definitely don't. Try it. At worst it will give the unavailable message..