Anyone get pyTivo running on an Infrant (Netgear) ReadyNas NV+ ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by IEBA, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1 of 16
    IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas

Advertisements

Even though my NV+ is DLNA ready and servs up .tivo files to my TiVos fine, I'd like to shrink the source files to MP4s (M4v, whatever) and want to find out if I can leverage pyTyvo running on the NAS to transcode on the fly so the TiVo is not aware that I saved space and will play the files just fine. :)

2. Oct 5, 2011 #2 of 16
    txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Don't have a ReadyNAS, but do have pytivo working on a Synology DS111. I would expect your transcoding speeds to be horrible on the ReadyNAS (as they would be on my Synology if I used it to transcode). Most of the NAS processors do not have FPU, so they are not good for transcoding video. Some of the highend NAS do use ATOM processors, which are probably good enough. At any rate, I only serve up videos that can be push or pulled to my Tivos without transcoding. For that, running pytivo on a NAS is excellent.

3. Oct 5, 2011 #3 of 16
    IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    I asked the Infrant wizards and they said certainly not. On the newest hardware, sure, but not the NV+.

The NV+ does support DLNA and I can browse movies from my TiVo without pyTiVo so I'm unsure what exactly pyTivo offers that I'm not already getting.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #4 of 16
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    pyTivo can push h.264 files with AC3 audio in an MP4 container without transcoding. Pulling h.264 requires a full recode, which hasn't a snowball's chance of happening in real time, however. I have a six core, 2.8GHz overclocked machine here with 4G of memory, and even with all six cores running flat-out at over 85%, it still cannot recode in real time.

5. Oct 6, 2011 #5 of 16
    txporter

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

You are certainly talking about transcoding 1080p material. Your machine is more than capable of transcoding in realtime for SD material and probably even 720p.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #6 of 16
    IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    Okay, I gave up on ripping DVDs to MPG files. Seemingly as simple as it is, most tools for ripping give me separate MPG files like on the DVD or they convert to MP4. So I tried pyTivo on my old PPC Mac Mini and it served an MP4 to my TiVo HD just fine. (Well, I only tested a few minutes of it.)

Now I want to know how I can get my HD recording from my TiVo HD off my TiVo HD, convert to MP4, for playback from the NAS, through pyTivo, back to the TiVo HD... but yet keep them HD. A rather circitous route, but I plan on adding more HD playback in the house and OTA HD is a cheap way to build my collection.

I ask because my Toast 9 (I'm on a Mac) restricts output to 480x360. :p

And would a Series 2 be able to handle the HD MP4 files as siphoned through pyTivo? Does it downconvert on the fly? I know the Series 2 can only play back SD, that's fine, but I'd like to have only one copy of a movie on the server if possible.

7. Oct 8, 2011 #7 of 16
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    pyTivo will downconvert for the Series 2, yes. The Series 2 will not directly accept HD video itself. (Actually, you can trick it into accepting HD MPEG-2, but all you'll see onscreen will be colorful snow.)

8. Oct 8, 2011 #8 of 16
    IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    LOL! I'll pass on the snow! Thanks for the tip on the downconvert.
    Now I just need to get the HD material off my TiVo HD, and into the server as MP4.
    Toast won't convert to HD files, but I've heard from someone else that it will make HD blu-ray disks, so they author a disk, and then import the disk, which seems like a wonky workaround to me. Not to mention a waste of disks.

9. txporter

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you have a PC (it sounds like you have a Mac, but not positive), then I would suggest trying kmttg. And use one of the encoding profiles there to convert your Tivo files to mp4. If you only have a Mac to use...then I got nothing for you. I don't use a Mac for video conversion. Hopefully someone else that does can offer up some suggestions.

For kmttg profiles to use, I would try one of these:
    - ff_tivo_hd - FFMPEG encoding for HD shows, fixed bitrate = 8k
    - ff_tivo_sd - FFMPEG encoding for SD shows, fixed bitrate = 3k
    - hb_tivo_hd - Handbrake encoding for HD shows, fixed bitrate = 5k
    - hb_tivo_sd - Handbrake encoding for SD shows, fixed bitrate = 2k
    - hb_tivo_hd_crf - Handbrake encoding for HD shows, bitrate varies with source video quality
    - hb_tivo_sd_crf - Handbrake encoding for SD shows, bitrate varies with source video quality

I wouldn't suggest using either of the last two profiles unless you are removing the commercials. Those last two profiles attempt remove hard telecine which is difficult to do well if you have a mishmash of video type from commercials still in the video stream.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    kmttg should work fine on a Mac.

11. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    kmttg does work fine on a Mac.

It's a little clunky, but I'm running an old version, it's probably been improved.

My only wish is that it was written in Python, not Java. But that's not something that affects the functionality.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, 1080i, and a little bit of 720p. I don't have any SD material, but I am sure you are correct that SD can be recoded better than real-time.

13. txporter

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    How are you doing it? Using avisynth + x264 my Q6600 gives me around 19-20fps for 720p. 1080i is, of course, slower. I would think your rig could accomplish 720p in realtime. I downrez my 1080i to 720p at around 14-15fps.

720p avs w/ hardsubs:
    Code:
    setmtmode(5,0)
    MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
    setmtmode(2)
    SelectEven()
    TDecimate()
    RemoveGrain(1)
    setmtmode(5)
    TextSub("video.srt"^)
    1080i avs - downrez'd to 720p w/ hardsubs:
    Code:
    setmtmode(5,0)
    MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
    setmtmode(2)
    lanczosresize(1280, height)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    lanczosresize(width, 720)
    RemoveGrain(1)
    setmtmode(5)
    TextSub("video.srt")
    Or are you keeping all of the telecining and dups in your video?

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    How am I re-coding? I'm using VideoRedo to recode from MPEG2 to h264 in a .mp4 container using the default profile.

15. txporter

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ah, ok. I started transcoding with avisynth + HCenc (MPEG2 encoder) and then moved onto x264 for H.264 encoding. I have thought about using VRD4 for transcoding (since I do use it for QSF and commercial removal), but I am not willing to give up the control I get with avisynth. Mostly it is because my wife and I like to hardcode the subs/captions, but also because I like to drop the pulldown and frame doubling. To each his own.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A long time ago I installed pyTiVo on a Linksys NAS I hacked. Transcoding SD material averaged about 1 fps. It was unusable so I removed it.

Dan