Anyone ever format Flash card as Tivo drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    This is really a silly question but I'm curious to find an answer anyway. Someone recently requested an image for an S1 unit so it got me to wondering if it would be possible to format an SDHC memory card (16GB or larger) as a Tivo drive. If it would work, then I know there are IDE adapters for SDHC cards so you could actually mount it in an S1 or even a 40GB S2 (with a 64GB card). Like I said, silly question.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Maybe not so silly.

I mean, if it were possible to do the formatting (and you could use a SATA/IDE adapter to connect to the IDE/card adapter you mention) it'd open a lot of doors.

3. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Not sure how many doors it would really open given the cost of flash cards versus hard drives and the fact that the IDE adapters I've seen only allow up to 32GB cards. There are, of course flash drives in the form factor of hard drives that exceed the 32GB size but they are very expensive.

For SD quality video it looks like a Class 4 or above flash card will keep up with the data rate. I'm curious enough that I'm going to try it out on an S1 I have. Guess that's what comes from having too much time and money. ;)

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Can those things take the constant re-writing of the 30 minute cache?

It's a shame TiVo didn't start out with one drive for all of the stuff other than recordings and a second, swappable drive for the actual shows (which would still be tied to the TSN of that particular TiVo and unusable in other TiVos)

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I didn't say it was a practical experiment. :D I don't know if the 30 minute cache reuses the exact same memory space (continuous loop) or if it would take some period of time before the cache starts rewritting the same memory blocks in the flash. Assuming that the exact same blocks are continuously rewritten, I calculate that a standard 100,000 write cycle life should allow for over 5 years of use. Then again, the streaming nature of the video may actually translate to multiple writes of the same memory block during a single 30 minute cache.

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Got the memory card and was able to image and expand it using WINMFS. Still waiting for the IDE adapter (coming from China).

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ok. Have now tried two different hardware vesions of SDHC to IDE cards with the same results. The Tivo comes up, it looks like there is some activity on the IDE interface (just looking at access LED) but the Tivo restarts when it tries to move past the "Your recorder is strarting up" screen. It briefly gets a snowy screen (a few minutes after power-up) and then goes back to the "starting up" screen. I used the same image I've used several times before to upgrade S1 drives and WINMFS recognizes it as a Tivo S1 drive. I even tried Kickstart 54 and 57 just to see what would happen but neither one brought up a new screen. Guess it's a no go.